Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip needed on first week of ownership - feedback please! (cold weather)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... 120V will get you ~3miles/hour

At those temps (~0°F) 120V may get you 1 mph during the day, if under the sun. Otherwise, nothing. All the energy is exhausted heating the battery.

... I, personally, would plan to run the extension from the NEMA 14-50 on the stove just for piece of mind

Definately use the oven outlet. However, since there's an extension cord and the oven breaker/fuse might be old, I'd dial down the amps from 40 to 30 from the charging screen. Preheat for at least 1/2 hour when plugged before you leave.

Driving electric changes your perception of "fun", at least for me. Don't get me wrong, of course you still want to be a little spirited, but after a bit I think you'll find you put your wh/mi first. Sort of like a game to top your best " score".

I agree completely, but notice that you said "after a bit". This will probably be the first chance to go play on the open road for a new owner. If it were me, I wouldn't be trying to work on efficiency just yet.

The ICE I currently drive is the highest mpg production car ever made. I do know a bit about the fun of maximizing efficiency. When I get my Tesla, I will not be doing that for the first week.