Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roaring A/C noise six weeks into ownership. Has anyone been able to be compensated by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR: I received a Tesla Model Y that clearly left the factory floor without a proper QC, and while a blower motor replacement fixed the noise issue, the A/C was not cooling - an oversight on the Tesla Owings Mills service team (they held the car in service for five days). The GM at Owings Mills has ignored my requests to start a corporate escalation (seeking either extended warranty or Full Self-Driving upgrade for the inconvenience and poor service.)

Full Post:

On 3/12/2024, I experienced loud noises in my Tesla Model Y, delivered on 1/31/2024. I reported it and got a service appointment on 3/18. Dropped the car at 8 AM and was told it would be ready by the end of the day.

The timeline:
  • 3/18: Told the car would be ready, but completion updated to 3/22.
  • 3/20: Informed blower motor replacement needed, promised readiness by 3/21.
  • 3/21: Completion date pushed to 3/25.
  • 3/22: visit Owings Mills service center and demand a full service log (never receive it). Surely replacing a blower motor doesn't take five days?
Four weeks later once weather starts warming up, I learn the A/C wasn’t cooling. At all.

I was blocked from scheduling another appointment in the app, it took two weeks of communicating with Customer Service and two separate escalations for the Owings Mills service center address the issue.

Seeking a Full Self-Driving upgrade for the defective vehicle and poor service. Any advice or support is appreciated.

The GM offered $1000 credits. Told him to shove it.

TL;DR: I received a Tesla Model Y that clearly left the factory floor without a proper QC, and while a blower motor replacement fixed the noise issue, the A/C was not cooling - an oversight on the Tesla Owings Mills service team (they held the car in service for five days). The GM at Owings Mills has ignored my requests to start a corporate escalation (seeking either extended warranty or Full Self-Driving upgrade for the inconvenience and poor service.)

Full Post:

On 3/12/2024, I experienced loud noises in my Tesla Model Y, delivered on 1/31/2024. I reported it and got a service appointment on 3/18. Dropped the car at 8 AM and was told it would be ready by the end of the day.

The timeline:
  • 3/22: visit Owings Mills service center and demand a full service log (never receive it). Surely replacing a blower motor doesn't take five days?
Four weeks later once weather starts warming up, I learn the A/C wasn’t cooling. At all.

I was blocked from scheduling another appointment in the app, it took two weeks of communicating with Customer Service and two separate escalations for the Owings Mills service center address the issue.

Seeking a Full Self-Driving upgrade for the defective vehicle and poor service. Any advice or support is appreciated.

Sorry but reading this story it does not sound anywhere near like $8,000 worth of inconvenience, and I dont think any reasonable person that was not involved in the situation would think so either.

Nobody said that was normalized. But that is what the warranty is for, to fix the failures that do happen.

And I assume you either had a loaner, or they made Uber/Lyft credits available to you while your vehicle was in service.
for comparisons sake, since Tesla is a tech company, if I buy a MacBook and the fan is broken, and fixing it takes them five days... you don't think Apple would offer a brand new laptop?

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
for comparisons sake, since Tesla is a tech company, if I buy a MacBook and the fan is broken, and fixing it takes them five days... you don't think Apple would offer a brand new laptop?

Cars are not laptops. Cars dont have return policies, but I am sure you know both of these things, so I am not sure why the laptop comparison is being made.

Sorry but no one reading this story is going to say you suffered $8,000 worth of inconvenience for 2 weeks of downtime. The 1k points offer seemed to be a reasonable one to me, actually, but since you told them to "shove it" I would expect them to do what they did, and ghost you.

Back to your original question. No, I have not heard of Tesla doing anything close to offering full self driving option to someone for their inconvenience from an issue with their new car. The most I have seen is somewhere around what you were offered. Usually its a wall connector or something ($450 value).

Now, it appears you are trying to wage a social media campaign to get something more. How you conduct your business is up to you of course, but given that even if you were successful, you are burning bridges with a company with which you MUST interact if you have further issues, I dont understand that at all.

I understand it more from people dealing with regular car dealers because you can just go to a different dealership (thats owned by someone different). This doesnt exist in the Tesla infrastructure so when you burn bridges, you basically burn all of them

The 1,000 points seemed reasonable.

In any case, good luck.

Reactions: MitchMitch

Full Post:

The timeline:

You bring it in, they realize that it may not have been what they originally thought, they order the part, it didn't come in as expected.
Customer seemingly gets irate and "demands full service log"

Blocked from scheduling? Get real, tell the truth. What's that entire situation?

GM goes way out on a limb with an excessively generous offer for an extremely irate customer and gets rejected.

The customer is NOT always right. And you seem to be proving it.

In addition to fixing your laptop? No, I don't. (Your laptop is already fixed, why would they then replace it?)

You are asking for a credit of ~16% of the vehicle cost because service wasn't perfect. That is completely unreasonable.

You bring it in, they realize that it may not have been what they originally thought, they order the part, it didn't come in as expected.
Customer seemingly gets irate and "demands full service log"

Blocked from scheduling? Get real, tell the truth. What's that entire situation?

GM goes way out on a limb with an excessively generous offer for an extremely irate customer and gets rejected.

The customer is NOT always right. And you seem to be proving it.
lmao, at least I now know to never post on this group.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
In addition to fixing your laptop? No, I don't. (Your laptop is already fixed, why would they then replace it?)

You are asking for a credit of ~16% of the vehicle cost because service wasn't perfect. That is completely unreasonable.
it's a brand new car. being shipped a broken car is unacceptable. the service was just the cherry on top.

They owe you absolutely nothing other than a fixed car, which they have provided. That’s how warranties work.

What a massively entitled and out of touch rant. Sounds like they offered you far and above what they needed to or should have.

You think you’re owed $8,000 in compensation because Tesla fixed your car under warranty and it took a few days? 😂 What a strange and privileged world you live in.

Take them to court, sport. It’s the only way to get them to take you seriously!

As someone who has dealt with literally dozens of warranty repairs with Apple, the answer to this is an unequivocal NO. If your laptop has a warrantable issue 3 months after you bought it, it will be repaired per their normal warranty process via shipping back and forth to the repair depot. Every single time.

If you asked them to give you free AirPods because it took them five days to fix, they’d laugh your entitled ass out of the mall. 😂

• Funny