Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Great Dane 28 sail boat. I needed a new engine about 3 years ago. Another local one had been converted to electric drive using deep cell lead batteries ... but I was too chicken, and so replaced with another diesel. I would certainly do electric today!

My colleague was going to go electric, and had even bought a motor, but after looking into all the other costs, put the motor back up for sale and is having his diesel rebuilt. Had he no takers for his motor he'd have gone electric and sold the diesel, but the motor sold and he'll launch with the rebuild next year. Had his engine have needed full replacement he'd either have gone electric, or bought a new boat.

That's interesting. I suppose it's not terribly surprising that a lot of the plug in hybrids from various brands have power trains subcontracted from a single vendor, but I hadn't seen or read anything about it before.

The major manufacturers subcontract everything nowadays. That is what makes Tesla so unique and quick. Tesla is trying to bring as much as possible in house. I learned a lot from listening to Marc Tarpenning talking about the building of the Roadster.

Go to 31:00 to hear him talk about how Tesla would correct things on the fly....

Got to 53:00 to hear explain how and why the major manufacturers have tossed out all their electrical engineers.

Last edited:
Too bad Renault doesn't sell in the US. The Zoe would be one of the longer range EVs on the market.
It would be a nice car if it only also had DC fast charging available.... No one is anymore installing > 22kW AC charging stations here (they are even removing the few 43kW ac stations that was installed) as it is only Renault that can make use of them...