Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you had to google that like I did, they spell it Kryten. (if you believe the Wikipedia RD page)
@ wdolsons observation is non-the-less right on track. :)
@ JRP3, I too think I may have run across and episode or so on PBS here in a big square western state.

That might be lost on any TV viewers not alive in the UK in the 90's

As others have said Red Dwarf was popular here in the US on PBS. I volunteered at the local PBS station in Seattle when doing their fundraising drives a few times. One time they were running a RD marathon. In between programs they would have people from the local station talking about the show and doing their pitch. One of the things they talked about what how popular RD was in the US, which was one of the strongest followings in the world, especially in the NW US for some reason.

When I started watching Fully Charged I knew Robert Llewellyn as Kryten more than anything else he did. I guess he's better known for the Scrapheap Challenge/Junkyard Wars series which I never saw.

There is a new series of RD coming out sometime this year.

As others have said Red Dwarf was popular here in the US on PBS. I volunteered at the local PBS station in Seattle when doing their fundraising drives a few times. One time they were running a RD marathon...
I miss those marathons! Big RD fan here, thanks to PBS/KCTS-9 Seattle which we get here on cable.
The TV series and also novels were genius. Impossible for me to watch Fully Charged without thinking of Kryten.

I wonder, if Kryten's Model S were green, would he name it Starbug?

Reactions: Grendal
Another new one from RL. Electric quad bikes. Not powered with Li-Ion batteries but traditional, but very high end, L-A batteries for the additional weight.

It's a little bit above my knowledge but as far as I can tell we are at the point that all smaller ICE's should easily be bested by Li-Ion powered motors. We are very nearly there with cars and anything smaller than a car should be a blow out since the small additional price is easily compensated by the convenience.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
It's a little bit above my knowledge but as far as I can tell we are at the point that all smaller ICE's should easily be bested by Li-Ion powered motors. We are very nearly there with cars and anything smaller than a car should be a blow out since the small additional price is easily compensated by the convenience.

There have been a number of electric vehicles for off legal road tasks for many years. My high school had a glorified golf cart the security guard drove. It was a bit bigger with bigger wheels and a little faster, but it was clearly evolved from a golf cart.

When I was at Boeing (late 80s to early 90s) the factories had fleets of electric pickups. They were smaller than standard pickups and were not street legal. I think they had a top speed of about 30 mph. Boeing used them because they were cheaper to run than gas vehicles (Washington has cheap electricity) and they were safe to drive around the factory buildings when they were all closed up on winter days.

I think we will see smaller vehicles and appliances that use small ICE now converting to electric faster than cars. They take vastly fewer batteries for each application and they have a lot of conveniences over ICE. If I was buying a lawn mower today I would buy an electric. The last time I looked at electric lawnmowers they were more anemic than gas powered, but that has changed in recent years. Robert Llewellyn has a Fully Charged where he demonstrates how much mowing he can do on one charge of his electric mower.

Car safety laws are changing all the time, but I know the US has often had very strict car safety laws for decades. A lot of cars that can be sold in other countries are not street legal in the US.

I don't know if they still have the program, but Mercedes had a program many years ago where you could order a car in the US, fly to Germany and pick up the car, drive around Europe on your vacation and then ship it back to the US when you were done with your vacation. Upon arrival in the US the car would have to be retrofitted to American standards. I knew someone who bought a used Mercedes which turned out to be one of these cars.

When gas prices went up a few years ago and demand for smaller cars went up, a number of car makers looked at importing small cars sold in other countries, but they had to go through a lengthy process of re-engineering some things and government testing to make sure those cars met US highway standards.

The Mahindra E2O. I don't think this would be available in the USA. We can't have the Renault Twizy either.

Leaf is a 80 kW motor and 24 kWh or 30 kWh pack

Mhindra E2O is a 20 kW motor and 15 kWh pack. The think that surprised me most was the pack is running at 48V instead of the higher 300+ volts you see on most EVs.

The pack is big enough (assuming no heat degradation) but the motor is too small.

Does it have a cooling loop or a fan duct for the battery pack? If not it'll depreciate like a Nissan Leaf.

If they actually did cooling for the pack it might actually have better range than a Leaf in the long run.

Note if it doesn't have the Chademo port it also doesn't have Air Conditioning so to have what I'd consider a normal US car features you have to get the highest trim level.

Last edited:
Leaf is a 80 kW motor and 24 kWh or 30 kWh pack

Mhindra E2O is a 20 kW motor and 15 kWh pack. The think that surprised me most was the pack is running at 48V instead of the higher 300+ volts you see on most EVs.

The pack is big enough (assuming no heat degradation) but the motor is too small.

Does it have a cooling loop or a fan duct for the battery pack? If not it'll depreciate like a Nissan Leaf.

If they actually did cooling for the pack it might actually have better range than a Leaf in the long run.

Note if it doesn't have the Chademo port it also doesn't have Air Conditioning so to have what I'd consider a normal US car features you have to get the highest trim level.

Wait. A 48V pack and CHAdeMO?!?

Isn't CHAdeMO limited to 100 amp at pack voltage? (Getting the 50kW label from 500V.)

A 48 V car would seem to be limited to about 5 kW on 'DCFC'.

He said something about not one Carbon Capture and Storage facility has ever been built on a coal power plant. That's not true. There was one built, paid for by the Government of Saskatchewan.

It cost us C$1.5 billion, and rising (approximately 808 million Pounds). It doesn't work.

It doesn't sequester the carbon it's supposed to, and emissions at the plant have actually gone up.

What it does is take the carbon, and turn it into the slurry. That slurry is then contracted to be sold to an oil company to inject into marginal oil wells to increase the pressure so they can pump more oil out of them. However, since the CCS facility isn't sequestering the carbon it's supposed to, we're not delivering the product, so we're paying contractual penalties to the oil company. So it's costing us, the taxpayers, more and more every day.

In SK the power company is a Crown Corporation, owned by the government, so what it does everybody in the province pays for.

It's a complete boondoggle, all because our current government wanted a talking point to point to say they were green, while at the same time cutting environmental programs.

The fallout from SaskPower’s Boundary Dam CCS debacle

A Carbon-Capture Debacle in Saskatchewan Raises Questions About a Technology That Isn’t Living Up to the Hype

Technology to Make Clean Energy From Coal Is Stumbling in Practice
An update on the ongoing boondoggle:
Carbon capture coal plants double the price of power

Wait. A 48V pack and CHAdeMO?!?

Isn't CHAdeMO limited to 100 amp at pack voltage? (Getting the 50kW label from 500V.)

A 48 V car would seem to be limited to about 5 kW on 'DCFC'.

I'm not sure what the limits are but

Mahindra e2o - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says 48V and Chademo and sites Electric Car Specifications | Best Mileage Cars - Mahindra e2o which says

Power 19 KW @ 3750 rpm
Torque 53.9 N-m @ (0-3400 rpm)
Battery 48V maintenance-free Lithium-ion

Then Mahindra e2o Electric Car Now On Sale In UK says

Rapid (CHAdeMO) Charge Port (50kW DC)
72V powertrain with 15.46 kWh maintenance free 69 cell lithium-ion battery pack, NEDC range 79 miles plus up to 10 miles Revive® emergency remote refueling. Top speed 63 mph; nippy instant EV torque with Boost mode for extra power and regenerative braking for free extra miles.

which doesn't mesh with the 48V mentioned previously so I think someone is confused but I saw the chademo port in the videos so the confusion is apparently about the pack voltage not the Chademo.

For a race plane that just needs to "sprint" that's quite the design. It will be a while before EV aircraft have much range combined with other needs like lift capability and speed, but it's quite impressive for what it is.

Sort of the aviation world's equivalent of the P90DL.