Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, this latest "Volts for Oil" episode of Fully Charged linked above on YouTube perpetuates grossly inaccurate mythology about the amount of grid electricity used to refine a gallon of gasoline.

He says 4.5 kWh of grid electricity is used in the UK to refine each gallon of gasoline. The actual number is well under 0.5 kWh. In the US around 2008, grid electricity represented about 3.5% of the energy used in refineries. The vast majority of the energy came from "still gas" left over from previous crude oil refining and natural gas. Even if that natural gas were used instead to generate electricity it would result in a bit less than 1 kWh when distributed to someone's home or business electrical outlet.

I posted detailed calculations along with links to source data to the comments section of the episode under the "mhoMPG" user name. A broader discussion of the details probably belong on a different thread.

What possible grounds would they have for a lawsuit?
It seems they are saying they introduced Tesla to landlords/partners and prime locations and Tesla "stole" that information to use to build their own network.

Realistically I don't think they will win. If the information they gave was really that critical to building stations, they should have made Tesla sign a non-compete agreement before disclosing it. And I don't believe the judge will find it convincing that Ecotality couldn't have for seen Tesla building their own network, given Tesla has been working on superchargers for so long and have always indicated they plan to build a network worldwide.