Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised when he said free supercharging wasn't going to be free forever, he said something like "that can't last". It was as if he hasn't kept up on the Tesla story.

Later in the video it cuts to another days filming and he correctly says supercharging will always be available at no charge but it was from a prior days filming. No where after that does he address the disconnect between the opposing statements.

I was surprised when he said free supercharging wasn't going to be free forever, he said something like "that can't last". It was as if he hasn't kept up on the Tesla story.

Later in the video it cuts to another days filming and he correctly says supercharging will always be available but it was from a prior days filming. No where after that does he address the disconnect between the opposing statements.

Did he say free supercharging, or free fast charging? I thought he was talking about the ecotricity fast charge (3 phase 32A?).

Later in the video it cuts to another days filming and he correctly says supercharging will always be available at no charge but it was from a prior days filming. No where after that does he address the disconnect between the opposing statements.

I pulled him up on that in the comments, he seemed to be slightly misinformed on that.

While on the supercharger he was talking about how amazing it is to be able to charge for free, but how it's obviously an unsustainable financial model and can't last forever.

Around 7 mins in (driving on the motorway) he talks about 'rapid chargers' and the free-of-charge model being unsustainable. He is talking about Ecotricity there.

Around 11 mins in he talks about 'super chargers' and the free- for-the-life-of-the-car model social implications. He is talking about Tesla Superchargers there. At the Supercharger, he never talks about unsustainable financial models.

The confusion is that the segment seems to have been filmed in three parts - 1) a trip to Scotland using Ecotricity rapid charger, 2) an earlier trip down south (in a different car), and 3) back at the London Tesla Supercharger.

Around 7 mins in (driving on the motorway) he talks about 'rapid chargers' and the free-of-charge model being unsustainable. He is talking about Ecotricity there.

Around 11 mins in he talks about 'super chargers' and the free- for-the-life-of-the-car model social implications. He is talking about Tesla Superchargers there. At the Supercharger, he never talks about unsustainable financial models.

The confusion is that the segment seems to have been filmed in three parts - 1) a trip to Scotland using Ecotricity rapid charger, 2) an earlier trip down south (in a different car), and 3) back at the London Tesla Supercharger.

The confusion for me is he is driving a Tesla Model S and in any way shape or form talks about free charging being unsustainable without qualifying what exactly he is talking about.

section 1 in a Tesla Model S
section 2 in a Tesla Model S
section 3 in a Tesla Model S

all in a video entitled "Tesla Model S Road Trips"

I like Robert Llewellyn in general but I thought that was a significant mistake to leave that in the video without editing or annotation to make it perfectly clear what the frak he meant there.

He does use the term "rapid chargers" but then again he is in the UK, for all I know that is slang for superchargers. If he isn't talking about Tesla equipment and pricing he needs to name a company other than Tesla in that section frequently to make it clear whose "unsustainable economic model" (7:19) he is talking about. Tell me how many minutes prior to that statement does he say a company name other than Tesla?

I just listed from 5 mins to 10 mins and he doesn't say Ecotricity until 9:55 AFTER he does a segment about supercharging.

So in order he talks about "unsustainable economic model" while driving a Model S without mentioning Ecotricity, then talks about supercharging, then talks about Ecotricity some more. Sorry the more I watch it the more misleading it seems. And youtube allows for very simple annotations to clear up that issue. Give me a couple of words on the screen around 7:15 or so to set the context and Bob's your uncle.

Last edited:
I just listed from 5 mins to 10 mins and he doesn't say Ecotricity until 9:55 AFTER he does a segment about supercharging.

I think you mean 'rapid charging'. The supercharging segment was later.

The segment you quote at 9:55 was a pretty good summary of the 4 technologies - 13A, 32A, 32A 3 phase rapid charging, and supercharging.

I agree that he should have been clearer what he meant about rapid charging, Ecotricity, and why that free model was unsustainable. But he only started to talk about supercharging from 9:00 onwards.