Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rochester, NY Tesla worries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Model S, but a few things are holding me back. The temperatures here in Rochester, NY can drop to below freezing, and I was wondering if anyone in Rochester (or a place with similar conditions) can say what having a Model S is like in cold weather. Also, the nearest service center is in Toronto, more than 150 miles away. What will Ranger service be like? Lastly, we often travel from Rochester to Connecticut/Massachusetts. Has anyone taken similar trips? What will charging be like?

Thanks,
Michael H. :smile:

I can't speak to ranger service as I haven't had to use it yet. :) To address your cold weather concerns, the Model S is great in cold weather. Being able to pre-heat the car via the smartphone app is awesome. You will see reduced range in winter, (as high as 25% less if it is really cold), the other winter issue is that the car is RWD, so it will have the same issues as other RWD cars in the winter. (Mostly difficulties climbing snow packed / icy hills). I think those in Quebec had better luck with Nokian tires than the Pirelli's that Tesla sells.

It looks like making a trip from Rochester to CT/MA will be a piece of cake in 2014 once Tesla has installed more super chargers. In the mean time your best charging options in the wild are 14-50's at RV parks, chargers at hotels if you can find them and HPWC's at owner's residenses/Tesla stores. Try looking at plugshare.com to see what chargers are available along your route.

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Model S, but a few things are holding me back. The temperatures here in Rochester, NY can drop to below freezing, and I was wondering if anyone in Rochester (or a place with similar conditions) can say what having a Model S is like in cold weather. Also, the nearest service center is in Toronto, more than 150 miles away. What will Ranger service be like? Lastly, we often travel from Rochester to Connecticut/Massachusetts. Has anyone taken similar trips? What will charging be like?

Thanks,

Hi and welcome Michael,

Range will be affected in the winter (I live in MA).
In the winter I was using about 378Wh/mi and in the summer I'm at about 290Wh/mi.

There will be a supercharger near Albany (see: Supercharger | Tesla Motors) by the end of the year
but that leg is 225 miles (roughly). Could be "iffy" in the winter. But the infrastructure is coming.

I cannot comment on the ranger service.

/Ed

I live farther from Toronto than you do, use Ranger service, and drove my Model S through the last winter. Also have done a bunch of road trips, some in pretty severe conditions. Preheat before a long trip, and expect 80% range in cold conditions, and you will be fine.

I Live in Pittsford and have P85. So far havn't left Rochester so no issues with Range. But can easily do Toronto and even called the Service Center there and they say no problem bringing it to them for Service and Warranty work. They will give loaner and charge the car for trip back. My family lives in Central NJ so waiting for Superchargers. I usually drive to syracuse then south through Binghamton and Scranton to 380 and then 80 east.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Thanks,

PM me if you want to come over and take a look at my car and HPWC.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Thanks,

I've used the Ranger Service to have my 12V battery Changed and it was perfect. They even did it for free for me. Also, Currently there is a Charger at the Best Western in Syracuse and Albany which was donated by Ron to the Hotels for all to use. They are 80Amps so looking at 40-50 Miles/Hour. Too slow for me so I'm waiting for the Superchargers in Syracuse an Albany. My preferred location would be Binghamptom. I'm already set with one going in at Melno Park Mall near family in NJ when I get down there.