Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rockbros Suction Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be limited options for a roof mounted bike rack for the Model 3, so after seeing a thread on “Seasuckers”, it was mentioned that the Rockbros bike Rack was a cheaper but comparable version. On seeing a few being used by Model 3 owners I decided to buy one via EBay (£129.99). The one I chose allows 2 bikes to be mounted.

The item arrived in less than 2 days (distributor in the UK) and on unpacking I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the item. The box contained the main rack with x4 suction cups for mounting the front forks, x2 single suction cups for the rear wheel mount and x2 straps for holding the crank in place. All x6 suction cups had plastic protective covers fitted.

The rack is very simple to fit. I started by lining up the bike to where I wanted to position it on the roof. I then wet the suction cups on the main mount, put it where I wanted on the roof and then applying a small amount of pressure to each cup, pressed the pressure valve in and out until the white line disappeared (as per the instructions), this meant the cup was now secured to the roof glass, then did this 3 more times. I then roughly positioned the rear suction cup and mounted the bikes forks to the main rack, using the quick release I secured the forks in position. I then correctly positioned the rear suction cup so the bike rear wheel sat correctly, then applied pressure to the cup and pressed the valve until the cup was secure to the rear boot lid. I then secured the wheel with the Velcro strap to the suction cup.

Prior to doing all of the above I cleaned the roof section and boot lid, plus applied water to the cups to support adherence. I also checked all the bolts on the rack to make sure they were secure (for my own OCD).

It was then time to take the car for a test drive. I have to admit that I was very nervous / cautious. There was some movement, but just a little bit of wobble from the bike, but the more I drove the more confident I felt in the rack. After the drive I checked it and it was as secure as it was before the drive.

I’m impressed so far, it’s easy to fit, seems secure, looks quite good and is reasonably well priced.

Excuse for pics below:
61E43E41-5051-4B06-BAAE-13DA16F252A5.jpeg
818BE22A-E2A1-4EC3-82EA-8A029ECAEAD7.jpeg
FDFB77DE-499A-41E4-BF42-93AC12D5ACCC.jpeg
4653781A-F127-40AD-9374-A0796F39EFC1.jpeg
0C908E79-A675-4DC5-8A77-0906C838559B.jpeg
45DDA9E4-D75B-43DE-A7A2-45936DDD3A1F.jpeg
36244235-4C55-4911-BC98-067D974B21E3.jpeg
A15F16A6-E3BA-4943-827A-3294846DACD0.jpeg
577D37F8-E11F-4992-89E6-ED773938E922.jpeg
378335BB-1C98-4DA9-A07E-01D5FBC8411D.jpeg

Shotgun not following you - no offence intended! You can talk about all the merits but you won’t convince me. Too many variables, dirt on glass, change in air pressure, perished rubber, contamination.

I’m staling in getting Tesla bars to avoid the risk of a cracked roof. Might have the SC fit them the first time.

Shotgun not following you - no offence intended! You can talk about all the merits but you won’t convince me. Too many variables, dirt on glass, change in air pressure, perished rubber, contamination.

I’m staling in getting Tesla bars to avoid the risk of a cracked roof. Might have the SC fit them the first time.
Fair points, but like most things you have to check and clean them regularly to make sure they operate properly. Plenty of these and similar about with decent reviews. I’ll update again after using it a few times. I work in engineering so have enough confidence in the design.

Agreed with mounting the back wheel on the boot lid. Some horror stories of the rear wheel and the pressure on that suction cup causing the glass to crack on Model 3s using seasuckers mounted incorrectly.

I assume you plan to keep to low speeds on motorways etc? I am considering one of these for my bike.

Reactions: Cyclone1
Agreed with mounting the back wheel on the boot lid. Some horror stories of the rear wheel and the pressure on that suction cup causing the glass to crack on Model 3s using seasuckers mounted incorrectly.

I assume you plan to keep to low speeds on motorways etc? I am considering one of these for my bike.
Yes will stick to speed limits but with cautious acceleration. To be honest when using a normal bike rack with straps in the past, I’d be similarly cautious. This actually feels more secure.

My road bike weighs around 7kgs v the mountain bike at around 13kgs, so with that mounted It’d hardly be noticeable.

Fair points, but like most things you have to check and clean them regularly to make sure they operate properly. Plenty of these and similar about with decent reviews. I’ll update again after using it a few times. I work in engineering so have enough confidence in the design.

The Titanic was an engineering marvel but when sh1t happens it's nice to have extra lifeboats...
It's a Tesla..am I the only one with visions of the whole back window peeling off it's laminate..?

Reactions: Wol747
These look pretty interesting....I assume you can't open the boot once you mount the bike?

I would be pretty confident that they are secure but the downside of having to remove your front wheel and keep that in the car....which you'll always remember is propped up against the wall just after you have mounted your bike puts me off a bit.

The Titanic was an engineering marvel but when sh1t happens it's nice to have extra lifeboats...
It's a Tesla..am I the only one with visions of the whole back window peeling off it's laminate..?
Like I said plenty of these in use with no issues. The weight is distributed between the screen and boot lid, so straight away the load bearing is reduced. Whilst we know the build quality of the car isn’t great, it’s not exactly built from chocolate so I’m sure will be fine.

How’s the paint holding up on the boot lid? Given the standard of Tesla paint I’d be more worried about that than the glass!

I’ve even had a BMW’s paint react to a suction clamp and they tend to use more
Only tested it once. The boot lid is cleaned ahead of applying the suction cup. The suction cup is made from a rubber compound and has a small amount of water applied prior to application, Therefore water and rubber attached to the paintwork on boot lid will be fine. Once removed there are no markings on the paintwork.

If you don’t clean the cup or paintwork first then you will start to see scratches / markings. Like I mentioned in an earlier post you have to make sure all is clean prior to installing, basic principal really. You’ll probably see more paintwork damage on the frunk where owners will repeatedly force it closed with dirty and greasy hands on an unclean surface.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
These look pretty interesting....I assume you can't open the boot once you mount the bike?

I would be pretty confident that they are secure but the downside of having to remove your front wheel and keep that in the car....which you'll always remember is propped up against the wall just after you have mounted your bike puts me off a bit.

Correct you can’t open the boot. Some owners mount the rack across the two screen panels so then do have access to the boot. It only takes 30 seconds to remove the rack and bike and 2 minutes to put back on, so not a major issue.

The spare wheel can be strapped to the body of the bike, or if there is space in the car can be placed in there.

I ordered the three-bike version of this last week on amazon... it’s not due to be delivered for a few weeks though so would be interested to hear updates on your experience, and particularly if the whole lot drops off the back on the motorway!
Mine arrived in 2 days via EBay so sounds like the ones on Amazon are coming from abroad. I’m away for the weekend with the rack so will update how it performed.

90F95C48-34C8-4FF9-896C-4634191C90C7.jpeg
For some further feedback I just did a 200 mile round trip with two road bikes up top using the RockBros.
Like has been previously said quite anxious to start with then you get more comfortable, kept it at about 60mph on the M25.

I think it’s a great alternative for those who don’t use the roof space often enough to justify a Tesla official roof rack. Mine was about 130ish from EBay.

There seems to be limited options for a roof mounted bike rack for the Model 3, so after seeing a thread on “Seasuckers”, it was mentioned that the Rockbros bike Rack was a cheaper but comparable version. On seeing a few being used by Model 3 owners I decided to buy one via EBay (£129.99). The one I chose allows 2 bikes to be mounted.

The item arrived in less than 2 days (distributor in the UK) and on unpacking I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the item. The box contained the main rack with x4 suction cups for mounting the front forks, x2 single suction cups for the rear wheel mount and x2 straps for holding the crank in place. All x6 suction cups had plastic protective covers fitted.

The rack is very simple to fit. I started by lining up the bike to where I wanted to position it on the roof. I then wet the suction cups on the main mount, put it where I wanted on the roof and then applying a small amount of pressure to each cup, pressed the pressure valve in and out until the white line disappeared (as per the instructions), this meant the cup was now secured to the roof glass, then did this 3 more times. I then roughly positioned the rear suction cup and mounted the bikes forks to the main rack, using the quick release I secured the forks in position. I then correctly positioned the rear suction cup so the bike rear wheel sat correctly, then applied pressure to the cup and pressed the valve until the cup was secure to the rear boot lid. I then secured the wheel with the Velcro strap to the suction cup.

Prior to doing all of the above I cleaned the roof section and boot lid, plus applied water to the cups to support adherence. I also checked all the bolts on the rack to make sure they were secure (for my own OCD).

It was then time to take the car for a test drive. I have to admit that I was very nervous / cautious. There was some movement, but just a little bit of wobble from the bike, but the more I drove the more confident I felt in the rack. After the drive I checked it and it was as secure as it was before the drive.

I’m impressed so far, it’s easy to fit, seems secure, looks quite good and is reasonably well priced.

Excuse for pics below:
View attachment 567212 View attachment 567213 View attachment 567214 View attachment 567215 View attachment 567216 View attachment 567217 View attachment 567218 View attachment 567219 View attachment 567220 View attachment 567221
Hi,

Any over 1 year updates? Are you still happy with it? Any issues so far?

I'm planning to get this for my 2021 M3LR

Regards,
Arpad

If you’re in any doubt about suction cups, you want peace of mind and don’t want to risk killing someone: go for the OEM rack. I haven’t looked back. After my initial reservations the fitting isn’t that hard, the the fixing is rock solid, my concern about broken glass unfounded. A torque wrench is recommended.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha