Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocker panel repair advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am super bummed this morning as I ran over a piece of metal trim in the HOV lane this morning. I managed to avoid hitting it on front driver tire, but it high the rear driver side causing deep gouge, dent to the rocker panel. My M3 is only 3 months old to make matters worse.

Has anyone gone through a similar repair? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

upload_2020-6-4_8-58-5.png

upload_2020-6-4_8-57-44.png

Nothing Model 3 or Tesla specific about that damage.

Dr Colorchip is for chips, not gouges, so I wouldn't go that route unless you are ok with a crappy repair.

You have an actual dent there too, not just a scratch. If you want it to look like new, you'll just need to take it to a body shop like any other car with this kind of damage.

I am super bummed this morning as I ran over a piece of metal trim in the HOV lane this morning. I managed to avoid hitting it on front driver tire, but it high the rear driver side causing deep gouge, dent to the rocker panel. My M3 is only 3 months old to make matters worse.

Has anyone gone through a similar repair? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 547961

View attachment 547960
You could try a dent puller tool and paint touch up if you're handy and good with things like that.

Dent puller kit from Amazon - $31 https://www.amazon.com/ARISD-Paintl...ywords=dent+puller+kit&qid=1591375227&sr=8-11

All I can say is that if you want it done right take it to a body shop. Especially a TABS as they would have a better idea on the R&I and OTU parts side of things.

If you want it done poorly and next to nothing then touch it up. Don't waste your money on a DIY PDR kit

I received quotes from various TABS around me and so far the estimates are ranging from $1100 - $3600. Big difference in price is whether or not they are going to pull the rocker / quarter panel prior to repair. If they pull the panel then they can remove dent as much as possible using a welding technique, which in then end will require less filler. My only worry is fitment issues after they put the panel back on.

The rocker isn't removable and will be repaired on the vehicle. The welding or pin pulling technique is the proper way to repair it. A proper rough out will require less filler and help ensure a longer lasting quality repair. Industry standard requires no more than 1/8 inch of filler to be used, sadly this is often ignored by some shops or technicians.

Judging by the location of the damage you should have 0 concerns about the fitment after repairs. The damage to the dog leg is cosmetic.