Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocking Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had an early P85D with the old Sport seats. it rocked a good 1-1.5 inches back and forth.

when my Next Gen seats finally came in months later and they swapped them.... the rocking did not change a bit. same rocking, same amount of play.

this leads me to believe it's something with the base, not the seat itself. but who knows. i brought it up to my local service center last time i was in. they said the seat is not designed for people over 220lbs. i'm like, "are you calling me fat?" i said Elon himself probably weighs a good 240. half the country weighs over 220lbs. not to mention, all my other cars were able to support my apparently big ass, so why can't Tesla?

is so annoying. feel it constantly with every accel and decel. makes me want to sell the car, honestly.

This is an issue that's been reported by quite a few people previously. I have the next gen seats and also experience the rocking issue. When i reported it to my SC they ordered a replacement seat for me. Six months later, they told me that engineering had concluded that the problem is not with the seat but with the brackets that the seats are installed on. So they cancelled my seat order. I then changed my Service Center and the service folks at the new SC say they have seen the problem and getting a new seat fixes the issue. So they ordered a new seat that is being installed next week. We'll see.

My service center decided that I had too much rocking and "play" on acceleration and deceleration when I took it to them with that complaint. They ordered a new seat and was installed 2 months later.

Sadly, the rocking has returned within a few months.

I wish you better luck, but I don't think the NextGen seats are the problem. The mention of the brackets the seats are installed on being the problem seems to be the most likely thing to me.

Will schedule another appointment soon for another round of follow up on this.

I have Gen1 textile seats in a Dec14 85 and the driver's seat creaks quite a lot. Ranger ordered a new seat.
I'm going to email him a link to this thread as it sounds to me like the seat rail or bracket is the culprit.
Admittedly, I'm 6'2" and 240. So I'm not a little person. Still - no where in the literature does it say that Tesla is Performance and Safety Refined (for people under 220 pounds).

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
There was a post I read a while ago about rocking in the Model x, where someone stated that their SC told them that the seats in the Model X were not designed to hold "larger customers." He actually asked the customer how much he weighed and the SC said the seats are only designed to accommodate people up to 250 lbs. Someone on the post was connected to Elon and asked him about it. According to the thread the SC called and apologized and said they were going to work to fix it.

A ranger came out and looked at mine and said they probably need to be replaced, but he did not have the authority to do so, and that I needed to bring it into the SC. Have an appointment to do so. 1`