Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocking Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree.

My 2013's driver seat started rocking only when doing quick stops. Now it has progressed to rocking even during low speeds slowdowns.... I had an appointment, the issue was verified, and a new seat was recommended but needed to be reviewed by engineering. I was told engineering would look into the issue within 2-3 days and I would hear back. It has been over a week and I didn't hear anything. I scheduled a new service appointment and got a text that engineering still hasn't looked into it and they wanted to cancel my Sept 14th (next available) appointment that I created. I asked them to not cancel such and I expect the issue to be resolved by then as it is considerably worsening and seems to be a safety risk. So far it has not been canceled. It seems like this a common issue and if they can't fix it/blow me off by canceling the appointment -- I'll be filling an NHTSA report. My seat feels like it is moving almost a half-inch (if not more).

would you ask them if the service bulletins apply to your problem and if they tried the repair described? Curious why they are reluctant... maybe parts or tool isn’t available? Or they learned it doesn’t work? Or they don’t even know?

would you ask them if the service bulletins apply to your problem and if they tried the repair described? Curious why they are reluctant... maybe parts or tool isn’t available? Or they learned it doesn’t work? Or they don’t even know?
I thought about initially asking them this. However, my experience in the past was that everything but what I suggested is often tried first. So, I'm hoping they find it out themselves. Though, seeing how many replacements of seats were needed -- I'm wondering if it is a bigger problem. I did ask why it couldn't be tightened or fixed without replacement and was told the tech recommended replacement of the seat or seatback.

Well, I'm happy now - Tesla appears to be taking this seriously. I was informed new parts (seat back/seat) were ordered and would be likely coming in earlier than my Sept 14th appointment and they will let me know when they come in so they can get me in sooner. Though the agreement they sent only has the part for the seatback. Doesn't matter to me as long as it is fixed. Hoping the passenger side doesn't start this. In regards to weight -- I only weight 150 lbs and the prior owner was pretty slim also.

Last edited:
Agree.

My 2013's driver seat started rocking only when doing quick stops. Now it has progressed to rocking even during low speeds slowdowns.... I had an appointment, the issue was verified, and a new seat was recommended but needed to be reviewed by engineering. I was told engineering would look into the issue within 2-3 days and I would hear back. It has been over a week and I didn't hear anything. I scheduled a new service appointment and got a text that engineering still hasn't looked into it and they wanted to cancel my Sept 14th (next available) appointment that I created. I asked them to not cancel such and I expect the issue to be resolved by then as it is considerably worsening and seems to be a safety risk. So far it has not been canceled. It seems like this a common issue and if they can't fix it/blow me off by canceling the appointment -- I'll be filling an NHTSA report. My seat feels like it is moving almost a half-inch (if not more).

Yes - I had a similar response from Tesla. Had the seat replacement initially denied. In the end had to provide all previous correspondence (going back over a year) on the matter and *eventually* it got fixed under warranty. It is worth persisting.

Anyone else experiencing a seat that feels like it is not totally bolted down? The seats in my P90D have an awful lot of play in them, and they feel like they rock.
The Driver Seat in my 2014 MS was replaced at no charge by Tesla. Problem Solved
The Driver Seat in my 2018 MS was replaced at no charge by Tesla. Problem not solved. I found that adjusting the seat bottom angle slightly stops the rocking.