TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rocking Seats

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Cr8it, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Cr8it

Cr8it Member

Anyone else experiencing a seat that feels like it is not totally bolted down? The seats in my P90D have an awful lot of play in them, and they feel like they rock.

2. RYCO

RYCO Member

Yes. Refreshed 90D. Drives me nuts. Its It's only when slowing down. Even just regen. I plan on bringing it up to the svc center inn my next visit.

3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Yep, my P90D driver seat also feels loose.

4. coolgj

coolgj Member

Yup. My S90D is going in for service for this exact issue on Monday. It is driving me crazy.

5. Drivin

Drivin Member

If they are rockin, don't come a knockin!

Other people have this problem, but only the SC can fix it.

6. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

How bad? My 3.5 yr old knows how to make my seat rock but I haven't experienced it otherwise.

7. RYCO

RYCO Member

Let us know what they say. Mine are starting to creek too now

8. LectricVol

LectricVol New Member

I noticed that too! I thought it was just me. I would be curious to know what service says. I'm not sure it's worth a 3 hr drive to my nearest SC yet though. I have an MS 70D 2016 refresh.

9. isaax

isaax Member

Yes, I experience this in our 2015 S70 driver's seat (NextGen)! My wife thinks i'm crazy! Glad i'm not!

10. Firewired

Firewired Member

Are you all talking about Next Gen Also? I thought it was loosely bolted. Ended up having to have driver seat replaced.

11. RYCO

RYCO Member

Next gen for me

12. willcasp

willcasp Member

Did replacing the seat fix the problem?
    I have the same issue with a next gen 90D

13. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

i had an early P85D with the old Sport seats. it rocked a good 1-1.5 inches back and forth.

when my Next Gen seats finally came in months later and they swapped them.... the rocking did not change a bit. same rocking, same amount of play.

this leads me to believe it's something with the base, not the seat itself. but who knows. i brought it up to my local service center last time i was in. they said the seat is not designed for people over 220lbs. i'm like, "are you calling me fat?" i said Elon himself probably weighs a good 240. half the country weighs over 220lbs. not to mention, all my other cars were able to support my apparently big ass, so why can't Tesla?

is so annoying. feel it constantly with every accel and decel. makes me want to sell the car, honestly.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Same problem here

15. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Same here, standard leather seats. I have a service appointment next week to look at this and a few other minor issues.

16. jacobp

jacobp Member

This is an issue that's been reported by quite a few people previously. I have the next gen seats and also experience the rocking issue. When i reported it to my SC they ordered a replacement seat for me. Six months later, they told me that engineering had concluded that the problem is not with the seat but with the brackets that the seats are installed on. So they cancelled my seat order. I then changed my Service Center and the service folks at the new SC say they have seen the problem and getting a new seat fixes the issue. So they ordered a new seat that is being installed next week. We'll see.

17. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

My service center decided that I had too much rocking and "play" on acceleration and deceleration when I took it to them with that complaint. They ordered a new seat and was installed 2 months later.

Sadly, the rocking has returned within a few months.

I wish you better luck, but I don't think the NextGen seats are the problem. The mention of the brackets the seats are installed on being the problem seems to be the most likely thing to me.

Will schedule another appointment soon for another round of follow up on this.

18. JeffS

JeffS Member

I have Gen1 textile seats in a Dec14 85 and the driver's seat creaks quite a lot. Ranger ordered a new seat.
    I'm going to email him a link to this thread as it sounds to me like the seat rail or bracket is the culprit.
    Admittedly, I'm 6'2" and 240. So I'm not a little person. Still - no where in the literature does it say that Tesla is Performance and Safety Refined (for people under 220 pounds).

19. Cr8it

Cr8it Member

There was a post I read a while ago about rocking in the Model x, where someone stated that their SC told them that the seats in the Model X were not designed to hold "larger customers." He actually asked the customer how much he weighed and the SC said the seats are only designed to accommodate people up to 250 lbs. Someone on the post was connected to Elon and asked him about it. According to the thread the SC called and apologized and said they were going to work to fix it.

A ranger came out and looked at mine and said they probably need to be replaced, but he did not have the authority to do so, and that I needed to bring it into the SC. Have an appointment to do so. 1`

20. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

May 2016 Refresh with 17k miles and standard black multi-pattern seats. Haven't had this issue yet as my seat feels very solid, but I'll keep an eye out for it.