Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rodent damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric shock systems would have to be a no-no (unless enclosed and limited like rat zapper ) due to other wildlife, birds, our hens and cats. Same for poison ..inhumane and into the food-chain. Out here in the sticks there's no concern re neighbours being bothered by lights. The idea of parking on a deterrent mat sounds good..but outdoors in wales when it rains the area around the car might sit in water if not draining as fast as falling so any contraptions have to be an inch+ off the ground and under the car. Current game plan is to chuck a cable reel under the front with sonic repeller and (now) a 10W LED floodlight. I may add a couple of rat zappers in the adjoining barn but with woodland adjoining the parking area there is no way of removing all rodents.

Electric shock systems would have to be a no-no (unless enclosed and limited like rat zapper ) due to other wildlife, birds, our hens and cats.....

The marderschutz systems are built into the car, with the wires run along side the car's wiring loom and any pipes or hoses that might get chewed. Normally, this would be in the engine compartment but on a Tesla, I would think in the areas around and under the frunk box.

I feel for you. We had (hopefully past tense) that seemed to find a way round the roof. Recently, had front of the electric consumer - it/they seemed to have found a way into that via the cavity and had filled the inside of the CU with insulation beads - to cap it off, one wire had been chewed. A fire waiting to happen.

As for deterrence, car parked on chicken wire connected to a type 2 might do it... not sure about safety though :D
Sounds like a good way to start a rodent BBQ business.

I would in that situation consider buying 2 x 20ft containers if space and then link them together side by side, if power available possibly convert the doors into automatic shutters, obviously depends on what your working with.

sadly not that straightforward. I do have plenty of land but limited space in the 'yard' (aka apron in front of barn as parking area - has a slope and a small stream to one side uphill such that excavation work would be quite involved to create a stable additonal space for parking containers as a garage) Other immediately convenient spaces are needed for access or turning points for farm machinery/delivery lorries and having to walk 200yds in Welsh rain to go use the car etc quickly gets old let alone the simple fact that highest risk time will be while charging so you'ld be looking at a long run of buried armoured cable and a charger attached to a steel box (yes i know it'd be insulated).
Anything can be done but it gets to the point where any fun aspect has gone with the ££££s and one might as well buy cheap disposable old cars just as transport.
I've emailed the Marten deterrent folk to ask if their system works against rats and whether they have any Tesla experience.

Does your car have it's own space to park? Could you build a miniaturised electric fence? It'd be cheaper than the ratmat and less susceptible to standing water.

The idea has some merit but it'll take thought as how to implement that in a practical and convenient way on a tarmac surface with the needs to maipulate car in/out of the space it uses - hinged timber base surround with electrified wire 1" above the wood.....

I did get a fast reply from martensicher.com stating their system can protect against rats (note not will )

Looks like the ad servers have got wind of this thread...

upload_2020-2-24_14-31-36.png

Just an update on things and thoughts:

I had a further call from Tesla a few days ago - further damage found to heater and earth straps. Total bill now getting to the thick end of £5K.
After a lot of thought about suggestion of an electric fence - it might be practical for others if prepared to park on grass or a stones and brick paved drive but here two issues re standing water and tarmac and part of the area being sloped would cause al sorts of issue that would have to be dealt with by using some base and then alternate strands of +/-ve wires to any energiser and also the issue of having to open/close and reconnect any parking gate. It'd stll cost some £3-400 wth quite a lot of fabrication time since stock parts wouldn't work in my situation.
Other rat control measures or rat deterrant measures - as in killing rats or in-car deterrants don't guarantee to deal with it. This area is rat heaven and reduced numbers might reduce risk but not eliminate it. In car deterrant means adding HV plates near access points and elsewhere in the motor bay in addition to ultrasonic sounders and lights... and possibly thinking about that for the back motor of an AWD...

That really leaves the RatMat system as being the most reliable albeit the most expensive. It would mean seme re-organisation here to get my car parked in the barn with a level floor and moving the charger and a power point. RatMat supplier guesstimates about £1900+vat for a double row of tiles around the car or £2800+vat for a solid pad self-installed- which is less than I expected....

I doubt it is the answer to your problem, but it might help. We catch large numbers of mice / rats with these. We use them in greenhouse and it has cut down crop-damage to close to zero, but not absolutely zero. Can easily catch a dozen in a night ...

I'm afraid I have to say ha ha and ha to that one! The insurance company now knows that you are parking in an area where there is the prospect of further damage. They probably won't even want the business and will be happy to raise their rates until you cut and run. Sorry to be so pessimistic but the idea of a UK insurance company being helpful in this sort of situation is not to be expected.

I had rodent damage in CA. Filed a claim and they paid without question. $4500 damage! No change in rates. USAA.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado
An update to all the above;
I finally got my S back today. The Girls were super as usual (I suppose that risks being a sexist comment these days) and apologetic over having to keep ringing me back with additional bad news and extras. The ultimate bill suprised even them by actually being less than their estimates - just under £4. It has taken almost 6 weeks due to delays first looking at it with other work booked and thena delay in gettign hold of one part required. I was getting a tad edgy over the length of time I'd had the hire car since this isn't a warranty issue but they assure me that Roadside ordered it and will pay.
For sure it was nice to be back in lazy driing and with the recent updates even nicer to have voice control back.
I took my usual large bag of pastries in to keep eveyone sweet and say thanks. It was nicey valeted again too but in this rain it's filthy by the time I got home - 100 miles.
I've installed RatMat but some technical issues with it. Again to be fair Killgerm are on the case and sending a rep over to help me sort it so nice to see a company going about customer service the way it should be done. Meanwhile I've stuck an ultarsonic deterrent under the car (loudest i could source - wife can hear that frequency at that volume and complains - so hopefully it'll work as a temporary measure)

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Considered the anti-fox (I think) water sprays that are set to spray on motion?

There should be a cheap technology solution to this. E.g. a motion sensor tripping some wild and noisy commotion underneath the car, a la home alone. Surely no rat would want to be around unpredictable motion, light and sound.

Makes me wonder if this is a business opportunity!

Considered the anti-fox (I think) water sprays that are set to spray on motion?

There should be a cheap technology solution to this. E.g. a motion sensor tripping some wild and noisy commotion underneath the car, a la home alone. Surely no rat would want to be around unpredictable motion, light and sound.

Makes me wonder if this is a business opportunity!

This is Wales.. a bit of water doesn't scare the wildlife:rolleyes: And they do tend to habituate to sound and even lights. I'm sure it'd work a treat with your snowflake urban pests though.....