Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolling forwards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of an odd one. I got the "taxi please" call from the better half and popped out to collect her. Stopped the car on a flat bit of road and waited for her. checked my phone briefly and when I glanced up I found that I was rolling forward towards a tree, slowly say 3-5mph, feet nowhere near the pedals.
I wasn't in park and I didn't notice if the hold symbol was on the screen. I pressed the brake which of course stopped the car, but the minute I took my foot off the brake it started rolling forward again, almost like having creep on. Popped it in reverse, as I'd now rolled about 3m forward and was about to become one with a tree, and then in park. Car was fine before and after this, never had it before either. I checked to make sure nothing was interfering with the peddle incase it thought I was lightly pressing it.... all looks good.

Which stopping mode are you set to, Creep, Roll or Hold? It sounds like you are in Roll.
Hold, like I said was fine both before and after and I've never had this issue in the almost 2 years I've had the car (although that's a lie as it didn't initially have the hold function, you had to press hard on the brake to initialise hold when they first came out)
Could you have knocked the gear selector and accidentally put it in Neutral?
Hmmm.. hadn't thought of that. but I didn't think you could just knock it to select neutral you have to press and hold.
Don't take your foot off the brake until you see the hold symbol lit will solve it. Sometimes on slopes I find it will not engage and you must keep you foot on the brake.
I wasn't on a hill, it was flat as far as you could visually tell, could have been a very slight incline. I've also never had an issue with taking my foot off the accelerator and it coming to a complete stop, that's why this was odd.
I'll pay more attention if it ever happens again