Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof box: Thule Motion XT vs Yakima GrandTour?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2022 MYP and will be installing the Tesla roof rack, all that's left is to pick out a roof box. It'll be for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young children, mostly snow trips to resorts for snowboarding). We are debating between the Thule Motion XT (XL?) vs Yakima GrandTour (16 vs 18?). Just wondering if people have experience with either product and would recommend one over the other if cost isn't a huge issue.

I have a Thule Motion XT and it's great. I like it better than Yakima, though they are both pretty good.
Grand tour is probably more aero since it tapers pretty sharp at the front. Conversely, that eats up a lot of usable space inside.

It's great how much stuff you can fit inside the Thule and been very happy with it. I put mostly soft goods, sleeping bags, chairs, tent, longer items up there.
Bulky but not heavy stuff basically.

I have a Thule Motion XT and it's great. I like it better than Yakima, though they are both pretty good.
Grand tour is probably more aero since it tapers pretty sharp at the front. Conversely, that eats up a lot of usable space inside.

It's great how much stuff you can fit inside the Thule and been very happy with it. I put mostly soft goods, sleeping bags, chairs, tent, longer items up there.
Bulky but not heavy stuff basically.

Do you have the Thule Motion XT L or XL version? There's a length difference of ~8" between the two but not sure how that translate to size once mounted on the roof.

Also did you get to test out the Yakima GrandTour? I read that the Thule mounting system is easier to use?

I've got a Thule Motion XT XL, and I've been very happy with it. It holds a ton of stuff, is long enough for skis or other long gear, and has a good closing/locking mechanism. The mounting system is very easy; just turn some dials. I only put the box on when I intend to use it, and have a hoist system in my garage to get it up off the car and keep it out of the way when not in use.

(Note that I don't have a roof rack for my MYLR, just for my Volvo wagon, so the box has not been on my Tesla)

Do you have the Thule Motion XT L or XL version? There's a length difference of ~8" between the two but not sure how that translate to size once mounted on the roof.

Also did you get to test out the Yakima GrandTour? I read that the Thule mounting system is easier to use?
cant remember i think it's the L XL would be way long for the Tesla.
Thule mounting is like a jaw clamp- super easy

Havent tried the Yak.

one thing you should think about on the Y is the length will affect how you mount it. The roof is curved quite a bit.
Too long a box, it may tilt nose up, and severely affect aerodynamics.
If the rails are not height adjustable, maybe a bit of thought on this is good. Though there may be many examples of people w/ roof boxes on Y's you can find.

Reactions: Anser
We have a 2022 MYP and will be installing the Tesla roof rack, all that's left is to pick out a roof box. It'll be for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 young children, mostly snow trips to resorts for snowboarding). We are debating between the Thule Motion XT (XL?) vs Yakima GrandTour (16 vs 18?). Just wondering if people have experience with either product and would recommend one over the other if cost isn't a huge issue.
I have a Thule Force XT Sport that I have used for road trips for over a year now. My two criteria were as little front over hang as possible so as not to impede the front cameras and the ability to drive in and out of a standard garage without having to remove the roof top box. This met both criteria as well as being able to hold skis, fishing rods, golf clubs etc. Our discussions on this from last year is linked below. Cheers!

Reactions: CyanideDN
The better option. Yakima skybox 16.
0622B6B3-7CF9-47B6-9F9F-F7E3637CD970.jpeg

Reactions: Noflash
Lol I was just messing around. They are all great. Just go for the whatever size you need and if you want something super low profile or not. All user preferences and both are excellent boxes
True that. I'm trying to decide between the 16 vs 18 cubic feet of space since the main difference is 7" overhang in the front end. In practice, how much less can you store with the 16 vs 18?