TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roof rack design revisions (are there any?)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by voip-ninja, Jul 12, 2019.

1. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

I'm contemplating purchase of the very expensive roof rack so that I can transport my mountain bike more easily. From some of the threads I've seen the rack has some issues with ease of installation and risk of damaging the glass roof.

My understanding is that Yakima makes the rack for Tesla.

Yakima is pretty good about doing revisions to their equipment that is made for specific vehicles if there are fitment or performance issues.

Has anyone determined if any revisions to the rack have been delivered in newer stock units? What's the current consensus on the quality of the rack?

2. sroh

sroh Member

As long as you get the lighter, silver colored clamps, you should be good to go. Installation is very easy and there is very low risk of damage. You would have to really screw up to damage the roof. The only thing I would add is you don't need to tighten down the clamps to the level indicated in the instructions. The rack is great; no need to hesitate.

3. henshaw

henshaw Supporting Member

I’ve used roof racks on most of my cars throughout the years but decided to go with 1up bike racks for my Model 3. The benefits have been that I don’t have to have racks on my car all of the time and the 1up racks are the easiest things I’ve ever used. I had to install an EcoHitch to make it all work, but it ended up being similarly priced to buying the Tesla racks and bike attachments when it was all said and done, and I think it’s significantly better. Just something to consider.