Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard that Yakima had a rack/rails, and I've been meaning to look into it. In the meantime, I've just been using foam blocks for my standup paddleboard, which is 29 pounds and 12 1/2 feet long...So your surfboard should be just fine on that! I like the fact that it's not a permanent fixture, and that when I want to take my board off, I just chuck the foam blocks and ties in the trunk, and my car is back to normal.

image.jpg

I've heard that Yakima had a rack/rails, and I've been meaning to look into it. In the meantime, I've just been using foam blocks for my standup paddleboard, which is 29 pounds and 12 1/2 feet long...So your surfboard should be just fine on that! I like the fact that it's not a permanent fixture, and that when I want to take my board off, I just chuck the foam blocks and ties in the trunk, and my car is back to normal.

View attachment 27143

I don't like the yakima it ruins the clean look of the car. The guys in at Main Beach Surf Shop are calling Thule for me to check the compatibility of there rapid/aero 450r system for me.
As of now I am using a all inclusive system similar to yours for Creature of Leisure, But there is too much noise from the straps and the straps on the ceiling are annoying.

BTW, are you the same Austin from Plugshare?

I don't like the yakima it ruins the clean look of the car. The guys in at Main Beach Surf Shop are calling Thule for me to check the compatibility of there rapid/aero 450r system for me.
As of now I am using a all inclusive system similar to yours for Creature of Leisure, But there is too much noise from the straps and the straps on the ceiling are annoying.

BTW, are you the same Austin from Plugshare?

Yeah, now that I see it, I don't like the Yakima either. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Thule system...I've had their roof racks before and have been pretty happy with them. Let me know if you hear anything.

As for the noise from the straps, about half the time I get noise, and half the time I don't. I strap my board down the same way every time, so it's a mystery. I think tighter is better, but I can't pinpoint it. When I get vibration noise, I just stop and re-strap it, and sometimes the change solves it. Who knows...

And yes, I'm the Austin on PlugShare :) You must be the Marc that messaged me the other night?