Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotary screen retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone else recently try to get a retrofit?
I managed to get the part, attach the connectors, but the car did not recognize the new hardware, even with a full power off removing the 12 volt battery. I just got a software update today, so I'm gonna plug the motors in and do the update. Maybe the car will detect the motors then, otherwise it's a flag they have to set.

Pretty sure I could control these motors with an arduino, but I've no clue as to the specs or even the type of the motor. Messing around willy nilly will just result in me frying the things, so not really sure how to move forward on that front.

Reactions: misc3r
I managed to get the part, attach the connectors, but the car did not recognize the new hardware, even with a full power off removing the 12 volt battery. I just got a software update today, so I'm gonna plug the motors in and do the update. Maybe the car will detect the motors then, otherwise it's a flag they have to set.

Pretty sure I could control these motors with an arduino, but I've no clue as to the specs or even the type of the motor. Messing around willy nilly will just result in me frying the things, so not really sure how to move forward on that front.
Any part # or motor specs shown on them we can use to try to order them or find the manufacturer?

I expect they are just 12v DC motors and should be able to just supply voltage one direction to move one way and reverse voltage to go the other direction. Should be easy to control with momentary switches for a very manual operation or as you mentioned, an Arduino if we wanted to preset stop locations.

Very little in our cars (or anyone else's cars for that matter) is "plug & play" like most PCs. Each feature must be enabled in software and only Tesla techs have access to enable such features. In quite a few cases, even they are restricted from enabling features that were not in the original car. It seems unfair, but for now, that's the way it is. I ran into the same problem when switching from the analog to digital FM radio after an MCU1 to MCU2 conversion. The new radio was not detected and Tesla will not enable it unless they did the work.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Any part # or motor specs shown on them we can use to try to order them or find the manufacturer?

I expect they are just 12v DC motors and should be able to just supply voltage one direction to move one way and reverse voltage to go the other direction. Should be easy to control with momentary switches for a very manual operation or as you mentioned, an Arduino if we wanted to preset stop locations.
I have the part, installed it, and of course software didn't recognize it. Unfortunately these motors are not so simple. They have 4 contacts, 2 for power, 2 for something I can't figure out as I'm not too experience with electric motors.

I imagine an arduino could drive it easily, but I'm afraid of burning the damn things out and therefore wasting 100 dollars.

On the other hand, I was quoted 100 dollars for "General Diagnosis" upon mentioning that I have tilting screen hardware but no functionality in software. Hoping tesla service will update the gateway somehow and I'll be good. I'll update what happens, my service appointment is Webdnesday.

I took some pictures I can add a bit later of the motor part, they were somewhat useless searching on the internet though.

Reactions: Daniel454
They just messaged me saying they cannot change the vehicle configuration. Seems ultra strange to me that there is no way to reconfigure the vehicles gateway, maybe one day somebody can root the system so we can actually access the vehicles config.

If anybody is familiar with electric motors, maybe we can map the damn things and come up with an open-source library. I can code, just don't want to burn out this $100 dollar part as I'm not an electrical engineer.

Where did you source the part from?

I have the part, installed it, and of course software didn't recognize it. Unfortunately these motors are not so simple. They have 4 contacts, 2 for power, 2 for something I can't figure out as I'm not too experience with electric motors.
That would be a stepper motor.

Connecting DC to the two power wires most likely will not damage it (though its always possible without knowing the specs so hesitation is warranted) but unfortunately my thought of just connecting power and it moving is very unlikely.

Stepping motors are used in cases where you need precise locationing / positioning and / or want to control the speed more granular than a simple DC motor would. They use phase windings that are energized in steps to put the output shaft in a known position.

Stepping motor controllers are readily available though, so that may be a simpler solution over programming an Arduino? Honestly not sure, its been 20+ years since I had projects including steppers (beyond just replacing like for like) and since then the small programmable controller options have grown tremendously.

Where did you source the part from?
You can order it directly from the parts department at a Tesla Service Center.

Like others, we ordered it and couldn't get it to work. We also tried swapping a screen from an X with a tilt screen to an S. It worked fine on the X but wouldn't work on the S due to the software configuration. It's disappointing that it isn't plug-and-play.

Reactions: bhakan
That would be a stepper motor.

Connecting DC to the two power wires most likely will not damage it (though its always possible without knowing the specs so hesitation is warranted) but unfortunately my thought of just connecting power and it moving is very unlikely.

Stepping motors are used in cases where you need precise locationing / positioning and / or want to control the speed more granular than a simple DC motor would. They use phase windings that are energized in steps to put the output shaft in a known position.

Stepping motor controllers are readily available though, so that may be a simpler solution over programming an Arduino? Honestly not sure, its been 20+ years since I had projects including steppers (beyond just replacing like for like) and since then the small programmable controller options have grown tremendously.

Okay this is perfect! Another thing I'm kinda worried about is the connector, although I might just cut the one I got out of my car for science, I'm hesitant as maybe they'll allow us to modify the gateway ourselves one day?

My reasoning behind an Arduino is I'd be able to make it bluetooth compatible possibly. I'm extremely confident I could get that to work, but the motor part not so much haha. I'm gonna use the links you sent me to try and learn more, mess around with a couple of motors, then I'll try with the Tesla ones. I hear they use the same ones as the seat motors so maybe that helps narrow it down a bit?

Another thing to note, the assembly that came in our pre-tilt available cars actually has defective gears. So unfortunately even if you wanted to just add motors it will break at some point. I hear this is the real reason the tilting screen functionality was cancelled but I have no way to confirm this of course.

If it's like a Model Y HEPA retrofit you can schedule a mobile tech for filter replacements. Then ask him to check if there is a tilt screen setting he can enable and offer a $50+ for his services.

I paid mine $75 to enable biodefense mode, he did it after I linked him a quick YouTube video, and then gave me his cell number in case I ever needed more services outside of his work schedule. 😬👌 Whereas the service center claimed they could not do it.