Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 Plaid Retrofit matrix headlights & tilt screen help please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vrgs13

7th Model S 21 Plaid Cyberbeast & Roadster ordered
Nov 28, 2016
USA
OK, so after watching Reid Tomasko‘a recent video where he retrofitted the headlights, tail lights, and tilt/swivel screen on a 21 plaid. I have been in contact with him, and he has been extremely helpful to say the least! I’ve purchased Matrix Headlights, the harness adapters, the left body control, module, and the screen mechanism. So far all I have done is install the mechanism itself and plug the wire in. I need someone who can connect remotely and change the config on the car along with program the new body control module.
Just to recap what I need:
Program new L Body control module
Change config to matrix Headlights
Change config for swivel screen
Now other things I would like changed if possible:
Change config to show carbon fiber decor & red brake calipers. Also, I purchased track pack wheels, but there is no option to change. (not even sure if Tesla has added that.) but if it is possible, I would like the car to display the track pack wheels as they are 20 inch and not 21’s like the factory. But either way these last few items are no big deal. It’s mainly the top three I listed
Note the MCU has been changed to the latest and DOES support steam so I DO have the ethernet port. So there should be no need for a media box.
Only one thing they can help? Please DM me.
Once all is finished, I will upload the whole process (other than the config changes obviously) please shoot me a message letting me know how to get a hold of you or however, you want to do the process.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_7347.jpeg
    IMG_7347.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7346.jpeg
    IMG_7346.jpeg
    666.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7337.jpeg
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 23
Great info. I also did all these mods with Reid (matrix, swivel, refresh tails) 🤓 Didn’t he refer a remote developer to you ?

Regarding track package, my calipers turned red after Tesla installed my track package brakes. I didn’t do the wheels.

Steam, I have it as well as the 16MB. But my car didn’t have the Ethernet port. I had the H-MTD port. So i borrowed the needed media converter during remote programming.

So for each update (brakes, matrix, tails). Your app and UI should also see the changes.

Since I did the TP, matrix and tails, it now shows that way in my app. I have a 2021 December build.

IMG_5793.jpeg
IMG_5792.jpeg
IMG_5798.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Evee
Yep he helped me as well. I have not gotten all the tail light parts so they just did matrix headlights, tilt/swivel screen, programmed, the left body control module, and I also had him change the calipers to red and carbon fiber interior (swapped everything to CF obviously). The only thing I need him to fix my front fog lights. When I turn left or right, they used to shine the little spotlight in the direction of the steering wheel like pretty much all Teslas but since I did the config change this that feature no longer works. I’ve not driven a newer Tesla with factory matrix at night enough so I have no way of testing whether that feature works on cars with OEM matrix or not. These tail light my parts are outrageous! How much did you have in your tail light parts? Where all did you order from? I for the life of me cannot find a right reflector. Also need the left reflector. I have a charge port, but the reflector part is missing. I nesd both inner lights as well & possibly a right tail light. I’ve got two but one showed up broken and the other one the housing is separated.
I’m hesitant on doing the tail lights as I already paid Tshitline for those Apex tail lights that look OEM but have the old charge port. I paid them in November and keep getting excuses after excuse, but that’s another story.
If you notice the avatar on my car has the new headlights, but old tail lights
Overall, I am extremely happy with the retrofit. The tail light part frustrating not being able to find a parts, but I actually really love the tilt screen feature. I did not think I would care for it that much but I use it every single day and when my son waits in the car, he loves it tilted his way while he’s playing steam.
Lastly, I can’t thank Reid enough!!! he was such a hell and sold me parts and completely help me along the whole process without asking for anything in return. Solid guy extremely nice.
IMG_8323.jpeg
IMG_8325.png
IMG_8324.png

Reactions: Evee
Yep he helped me as well. I have not gotten all the tail light parts so they just did matrix headlights, tilt/swivel screen, programmed, the left body control module, and I also had him change the calipers to red and carbon fiber interior (swapped everything to CF obviously). The only thing I need him to fix my front fog lights. When I turn left or right, they used to shine the little spotlight in the direction of the steering wheel like pretty much all Teslas but since I did the config change this that feature no longer works. I’ve not driven a newer Tesla with factory matrix at night enough so I have no way of testing whether that feature works on cars with OEM matrix or not. These tail light my parts are outrageous! How much did you have in your tail light parts? Where all did you order from? I for the life of me cannot find a right reflector. Also need the left reflector. I have a charge port, but the reflector part is missing. I nesd both inner lights as well & possibly a right tail light. I’ve got two but one showed up broken and the other one the housing is separated.
I’m hesitant on doing the tail lights as I already paid Tshitline for those Apex tail lights that look OEM but have the old charge port. I paid them in November and keep getting excuses after excuse, but that’s another story.
Overall, I am extremely happy with the retrofit. The tail light part frustrating not being able to find a parts, but I actually really love the tilt screen feature. I did not think I would care for it that much but I use it every single day and when my son waits in the car, he loves it tilted his way while he’s playing steam.
Lastly, I can’t thank Reid enough!!! he was such a hell and sold me parts and completely help me along the whole process without asking for anything in return. Solid guy extremely nice.
The "spotter" light function doesn't work in the Matrix lights vs the "Premium" LEDs, though it could if Tesla would have the Matrix lights turn it on. The light you're talking about comes from the top chrome section of the old headlights. There are dedicated LEDs in that section that come on when you turn the wheel. The cars which come with the Matrix headlights don't have them either. Tesla removed those LEDs out of the new Matrix light assembly and 'shrunk' the chrome accent in the headlight.

The taillights are the hardest to retrofit. Alpharex is having issues with the "combine" Brake and Turn signal coming from the body controllers due to the "NA" Gateway config setting. It's the same issue as why the EVOffer light kits haven't been shipped to North America either. It's very unlikely that you can get the current charge port to work on a 2021/2022 with old-style port. There is a bunch that was changed on the cars including the High Voltage Busbar and the sheetmetal. Several people have looked at it and it's not a practical or cheap change.

Daytona and I have the EVOffer outer taillights with the "Global" Gateway taillight config setting. We both sourced the OE inner lights and the Applique trim piece from Tesla. The EVOffer parts are modified OE 2022+ lights. Reid has the OE 2022+ outer lights and reflectors (ripped the one off the charge port door) which he's modified to work on the older car and charge port. He also has the "Global" Gateway taillight config set. Reid cut and drilled holes in the car, made an adapter for the charge port door, and used tape to fit the parts for the corner lights. Daytona and I used the drop in part from EVOffer to accomplish a similar look.

I hope this helps with a few of your questions.

. When I turn left or right, they used to shine the little spotlight in the direction of the steering wheel like pretty much all Teslas but since I did the config change this that feature no longer works. I’ve not driven a newer Tesla with factory matrix at night enough so I have no way of testing whether that feature works on cars with OEM matrix or not.
The matrix cars don't have that feature

The matrix cars don't have that feature
Interesting. It’s kind of weird they don’t have it as the hardware is there. I know he mentioned above that it comes out the headlight but that is not the case I’m 1000% sure the light projects comes out the fog lights. But I’m assuming once refreshed S and X get the matrix update that light will no longer be needed

Interesting. It’s kind of weird they don’t have it as the hardware is there. I know he mentioned above that it comes out the headlight but that is not the case I’m 1000% sure the light projects comes out the fog lights. But I’m assuming once refreshed S and X get the matrix update that light will no longer be needed
I’m hoping once adaptive is enabled, that there will an similar side spot light when turning slow as before

View attachment 1034269View attachment 1034271View attachment 1034272
good job with the retrofitting. ED-209 though.. love it.

OK, so after watching Reid Tomasko‘a recent video where he retrofitted the headlights, tail lights, and tilt/swivel screen on a 21 plaid. I have been in contact with him, and he has been extremely helpful to say the least! I’ve purchased Matrix Headlights, the harness adapters, the left body control, module, and the screen mechanism. So far all I have done is install the mechanism itself and plug the wire in. I need someone who can connect remotely and change the config on the car along with program the new body control module.
Just to recap what I need:
Program new L Body control module
Change config to matrix Headlights
Change config for swivel screen
Now other things I would like changed if possible:
Change config to show carbon fiber decor & red brake calipers. Also, I purchased track pack wheels, but there is no option to change. (not even sure if Tesla has added that.) but if it is possible, I would like the car to display the track pack wheels as they are 20 inch and not 21’s like the factory. But either way these last few items are no big deal. It’s mainly the top three I listed
Note the MCU has been changed to the latest and DOES support steam so I DO have the ethernet port. So there should be no need for a media box.
Only one thing they can help? Please DM me.
Once all is finished, I will upload the whole process (other than the config changes obviously) please shoot me a message letting me know how to get a hold of you or however, you want to do the process.
Thanks in advance
What were the cost of each part roughly? Do you know if they can code without the eth port?

Granted I haven't checked in a couple weeks, but I grabbed one for $85, and the cables cost me like another $70 altogether.
Closest thing i found.

is that the right one?

Closest thing i found.

is that the right one?
You need one that can do gigabit -- the one I was referring to earlier was this INTREPID RAD MOON 2 100/1000BASE-T1 MEDIA CONVERTER AUTOMOTIVE (MATENET CONNECT) | eBay

That would also require an ix industrial to rj45 cable for ethernet and a matenet to h-mtd cable for the car connection

I also see these for sale: Technica 1000Base-T1 Media Converter TE-1401-1 HW 1.0 A2 | eBay which should also work, but you'd need their proprietary cable I guess

There's also this one SPEEDLINK SE1001 Pro 1000Base-T1 Automotive Ethernet Interface Module to RJ45 | eBay

Which I haven't seen people post about using, but seems to support the right stuff