Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotterdam School of Management research on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!
We are students of the Master in Management at RSM in Rotterdam, and we are looking for some feedback from owners of Tesla for a presentation at the university.
It would be really useful for us to know what are the most annoying aspects of having a fully electric car, ranking them, and maybe tell us a little bit about it.
You as an owner, how did you managed those annoying aspects?
Thank you so much for your collaboration!
In case you will contribute you will get a nice greeting in our presentation!

• Disagree
Reactions: PaulusdB
It seems like you have come to a conclusion without any research and now you want "data" to back it up. Not the way unbiased research is done. Sounds like the NY Times "journalist" that was tired of all the positive vehicle reviews figured out a negative one would get more publicity for him even though the vehicle logs showed he was "misrepresenting " the facts. Is that what it takes to get a Masters these days? Do a one sided presentation based on pre-selected biased data? I hear Goldman-Sachs, Wells Fargo and the Trump administration are hiring guys like you.

Flip your presentation around, ask electric car owners on this site what the most annoying feature of internal combustion cars were? People on this site would be GLAD to say how they don't miss getting out in the cold to pass gas weekly and have stinky hands and how they don't miss oil changes etc etc.

Reactions: boaterva
Hi everyone!
We are students of the Master in Management at RSM in Rotterdam, and we are looking for some feedback from owners of Tesla for a presentation at the university.
It would be really useful for us to know what are the most annoying aspects of having a fully electric car, ranking them, and maybe tell us a little bit about it.
The MOST annoying thing about electric cars, in no particular order :
  • Ill-informed people saying EVs are no more efficient the a diesel
  • ill-informed people who say the EVs burn coal because the grid is all coal burning
  • Ill-informed people who think that driving an ICE is more fun, before experiencing an EV
  • Ill-informed people who think that the car will be silent (hint-tires make plenty of noise in any car)
  • Ill-informed people whose first question is - what happens when you run out of battery? (Answer-same as an ICE, it stops)
  • Ill-informed people who insist on looking for excuses not to try an EV
  • Ill-informed people who insist global warming isn't real and is a scam by the Chinese
You may notice that the most annoying aspects about having a fully electric car are nothing about the car - just having to deal with ignorant people, who can't be bothered to explore something new.

Now - things I LOVE about an EV
  • Regenerative braking
  • Single pedal driving (much more relaxing)
  • instant torque
  • quiet ride
  • starting AC remotely for a cool car in summer or warm car in winter. Even when the garage door is closed.
  • a garage that does not stink of fuel
  • not paying ridiculous amounts for gas
  • never visiting those stinking cess-pools called filing stations
  • Arriving home with <10 miles of range, knowing it will be full by morning.
  • Plugging in outside a movie theatre, then after watching a movie come back out to a fully charged car that has been cooled down for me.

Hi everyone!
Beyond all the above comments, if you would spend time *reading* the forum (you know, actually doing, um, *research*) you wouldn't need anyone to *tell* you anything.

Reactions: PaulusdB and zmarty
Real students would not bias their enquiry in that manner.

I do not believe you are students conducting serious research.

@Twiglett pretty much nailed the "most annoying EV features" list.

Reactions: diesel
We are not "mining the web for negative comments".
We know very well all the pros of a fully EV, and we really support it!
We are just trying to get some feedback from real users for understanding what can still be improved.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Okay, then. But you see how posting such a one-sided inquiry comes across... And when anyone can read anything they want here and find all the positive or negative posts they want (and there are lot on both sides), seeking out negative comments seems a bit, um, negative.

I mean, you can search for negative words and come up with tons of results!

Folks... The OP is almost certainly an MBA-type student doing a class project. No reason to gang up on him. This is just someone asking for help on his homework.

Side Note: To the OP...Asking a big group of strangers for help on your homework might not be the best way to go.

Hi everyone!

Here were two documentaries that helped me when I was looking into the EV life

Enjoy

To try and give a direct answer to the OP's question, here are my most annoying aspects of my model S. Note that I love my car, it is the best car I have had in my 58 years on this planet. (I'm not trying to imply that I have additional years on another planet ;^)

The model S is my first performance car, I'm annoyed by how quickly tires on the 21 inch wheels wear out. I'll never get 50K miles from a set of tires on this car. Yes, I know I can switch to the 19s and get better tire wear but the 21s really look good.

The model S does not have a coat hook in the back seat. This requires me to lay my jacket on the back seat rather than having it hang inside the door out of the way like on previous cars.

I'm annoyed that I bought a 2013 and don't have any of the neat new features like AP that Elon has been adding as the car has been improved.

I'm annoyed that my 2013 was built when Tesla had growing pains and there have been more warranty issues than I would expect for a car in this price range.

I'm annoyed that here in North Carolina there are only 2 service centers, so a service visit requires an hour drive.

So for the OP, that's my honest list. Note that there isn't anything on my list that is EV specific. annoying aspects are Tesla being relatively small an innovative over Big Auto exist, but they aren't because car is an EV.

There is only one inherent drawback to EVs: the time needed to charge the battery when traveling on the highway between cities. We cannot match the speed of filling the tank of a gasoline- or diesel-powered vehicle.

All other charging inconveniences, however, will fade away as EVs become more common.

On all other criteria, the EV is superior to the ICE-powered automobile. This is most obvious when the EV is a Tesla.

...most annoying aspects of having a fully electric car...

One most annoying experience was when my co-worker complained loudly that I am destroying the environment because my pure EV Tesla car is much more polluted than a hybrid. I let the co-worker vented and said fine, then just run your hybrid car in your closed garage and see how long you can survive with the perverted rationale.

Hi everyone!
Huge disadvantages to EV's:
-Not being able to go to the gas station
-missing those organic volatile compound smells (known only to the state of CA as harmful), not getting sugary and caffeinated snacks while filling up gas as not getting gas
-if filling in air in the tires of an EV at a gas station--feeling guilty for not shelling out $50 to $100 while visiting a gas station
-accelerating too quickly in an EV, making passengers and self nauseous with excessive speed build up rapidly
-passing too quickly, which results in surprise and alarm from fellow drivers in adjacent cars who are trying hard to stay in your blind spot, and thus denying the privilege and right to block your safe passing
-waking up to a full range car, and wasting brain cells cuz not thinking about going to gas station-an aside decreased memory functions
-not being able to play music loudly as EV is way too quiet
-improved air quality around the house and garage and not having exposure to micro amounts of carbon monoxide which make it difficult to become immune to effects of carbon monoxide
-not having to clean residua of exhaust around bumper of car, and thus wasting a perfectly good sunday afternoon meant for car washing
-not having to clean brake dust as often, as regenerative braking nearly eliminates usage of brakes, and subsequently decreases frequency of needing car washes which can be deleterious to the car washing industrial complex
-not changing oil in the car, which can be deleterious to the oil change service centers.

There are soo many more disadvantages to an EV, i could go on, but instead, i cope with the above and many other problems created by driving an EV. Now will you excuse me, i have to fill up gasoline into my phone and laptop, as well as oil in the gaslamps (this actually happened many years ago) before i can completely finish this message...

It doesn't have a real socket in it while that is technically possible
At first, I had problems with the cables every day, but since I can charge the car wireless at home that's not a problem anymore either
I have no excuses left when I spend a bit too much money last night, on the other side, I save a lot more money so it's helping out itself actually
There is no real competition anymore when I'm in front of a traffic light, despite I can't even burn the wheels in a straight line (or I don't know how)
It's actually a kind of boring in the car because you don't need to shift gears, it automatically brakes if the car in front of you does as well, it follows the road automatically, basically, almost everything goes automatically, even my aunt can get her drivers license in this car
My friend is a cab driver, but he might lose his job over time
and I miss my friends at the car repair garage as well, I have no real excuses left why I'm too late on my work, the car never let me down yet
I loved the smell of a burning coupling plate
I loved to see my sister failing to drive away at the traffic light because she wasn't that good with the clutch pedal, I miss that ever since she drives electric
Sometimes I like to fight with the guys that stole my car, but since I drive electric, nobody has ever done that anymore
People think I'm rich, while I'm not, they are just not that good informed