Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route for Long Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on a long trip from Las Vegas to Louisville. Evtripplanner and abetterrouteplanner have me going through Denver. Tesla navigation suggests going the southern route through Texas. What is the main reason for the difference. Is it totally based on time. I've done the southern route several years ago in an ICE. I have a 2013 Model S 85 with 249 range. Thanks for any input on which is the better way and why is appreciated.

I plan on a long trip from Las Vegas to Louisville. Evtripplanner and abetterrouteplanner have me going through Denver. Tesla navigation suggests going the southern route through Texas. What is the main reason for the difference. Is it totally based on time. I've done the southern route several years ago in an ICE. I have a 2013 Model S 85 with 249 range. Thanks for any input on which is the better way and why is appreciated.

Tesla in car navigation likes to recommend the shortest distance option.

I'm pretty sure that's why it will recommend charging for an hour to 100% and skipping right over a fully functional Supercharger that's right on your path.

I'm not sure one is inherently a better way. If you like deserts and wide open spaces and heat, take the southern route. If you like mountains and forests and crisp cool mountain air, take the northern one through the Rockies.

When you say Tesla navigation, do you mean from the website or in the car? The Tesla website version is really a “This is what is possible with a Tesla” and not a true trip planner.

Use the one in car or one of other trip planners that consider the potential variables when making a trip. i.e. battery size, speed, wind, temperature, load, tire size etc.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Take a look at the distances between chargers. There may be some segments that are a little more aggressive than others. I think that I've heard that the OKC to Memphis can be challenging.
This is the big roadblock to that I40 route IMO. We're planning a road trip to Memphis/Nashville & surrounding areas in a couple of weeks leaving from North of Denver an hour or so. The lack of superchargers along that section between OKC and Memphis is a real bummer.

The distance right now between OKC and the next Supecharger heading East along I40 is ~350 miles which is in Little Rock. There are three that are planned (currently gray on the official Tesla Supecharger map) at Henryetta, Fort Smith & Clarksville which will make this stretch completely accessible but as it is if you wanted to go through OKC it directs you South all the way to DFW, TX. Yikes.

I wish they'd light up at least one of those in the next couple of weeks as it would allow us to go south to OKC and then Memphis for a day or two before heading up to the Nashville & Cookeville area before coming back home along I70. It would basically allow us to see more of the country taking two different routes rather than just seeing the same thing on the way home from the other direction. Not the end of the world but seems applicable to this thread.

Yes, I'm comparing evtripplanner and abetterrouteplanner vs the in car navigation. The Southern route seems shorter and longer distances between chargers. The Northern route seems way more superhcarging. I have not decided which way to go. I'm leaning going the Southern route. I think it's an easier drive. Thanks for all your inputs.

As long as you stick to I-40 corridor you will be fine. Did that in S75 (Texas <-> North Carolina and Texas <-> California).

The I-40 corridor breaks down in Arkansas, so the southern route would involve going through Dallas, then cutting Northwest along I-30.

If Tesla would add another Supercharger station near Ft Smith, they'd open up the eastern end of the I-40 corridor, but right now it is best to route around that stretch of I-40 between OK City and Little Rock.

The I-40 corridor breaks down in Arkansas, so the southern route would involve going through Dallas, then cutting Northwest along I-30.

If Tesla would add another Supercharger station near Ft Smith, they'd open up the eastern end of the I-40 corridor, but right now it is best to route around that stretch of I-40 between OK City and Little Rock.

Ah, I see what you are saying! Too bad about Ft Smith still missing on the SC map, that would be a straight shoot. I was assuming that people would get down to DFW anyway.

Henrietta, TX is under construction, this will (finally!) take care of the Childress <-> Denton leg as well.

You should check plugshare. There are a number of RV parks with NEMA 14-50 plugs along route 40 (including Ft. Smith) which if you don't mind taking an extended break, would get you through with no problem. There are also some Walmarts along the way with ChaDemo chargers, which I find to be nearly as good as the superchargers. That's if you have your heart set on the southern route.

You should check plugshare. There are a number of RV parks with NEMA 14-50 plugs along route 40 (including Ft. Smith) which if you don't mind taking an extended break, would get you through with no problem. There are also some Walmarts along the way with ChaDemo chargers, which I find to be nearly as good as the superchargers. That's if you have your heart set on the southern route.

Going over to Plugshare, it looks like EA opened a site in Clarksville AR last week, about a third of the way through the gap on the eastern side.

If you have a CHAdeMO adapter that might be a viable option.

Reactions: Jashev
Quite likely the nav was allowing a lower charge remaining at Supercharger stops or wanted you to drive at some speed lower than average. It likes long segments and long charges. If you modify ABRP or EVTP to allow 5% or 10% arriving at Superchargers, or allow a reduced speed, they might recommend a shorter route as well. Up to you how you want to do it.

On long trips, more Supercharger stops and shorter charging times are usually slightly faster. That's because it takes much longer to charge at higher states of charge. Would you rather fill to 100% at one stop or 50% at two stops? ABRP and EVTP take this into account by minimizing total trip time, while I'm not so sure about the nav.

As a check, you can have Google route your trip and see how close the planners are coming to that route. That makes detours for Supercharger stops and charging times a little clearer.