Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route planner changing stops keep chaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a basic question but just wondering why the nav software keeps changing your charging stops on a trip. I just did my first long journey (600 miles) and it changed the my first charging stop 4 times. The last time I was 4 miles from the supercharger with around 60 miles of range left when it switched to another supercharger 35 miles away.

Is it trying to get you to the stop with below 20% charge, and is there any way of making it to make it stop? I guess I could add the supercharger I want to stop at as a stop when I enter the destination.

Sorry if this is a basic question but just wondering why the nav software keeps changing your charging stops on a trip. I just did my first long journey (600 miles) and it changed the my first charging stop 4 times. The last time I was 4 miles from the supercharger with around 60 miles of range left when it switched to another supercharger 35 miles away.

Is it trying to get you to the stop with below 20% charge, and is there any way of making it to make it stop? I guess I could add the supercharger I want to stop at as a stop when I enter the destination.
There is a long thread here somewhat related to preconditioning etc., that will answer your question

Reactions: colt033
I'm fairly sure I've seen it adjust the stops based on how busy they are as well, but that is something new, it didn't used to. This would imply some ability to predict how busy a site is by the time you get there, large sites can change pretty rapidly from my experience.

Reactions: Xdama
I'm fairly sure I've seen it adjust the stops based on how busy they are as well, but that is something new, it didn't used to. This would imply some ability to predict how busy a site is by the time you get there, large sites can change pretty rapidly from my experience.
This happened to me yesterday. Travelling back to South Wales from the South East, the Nav, as normal, scheduled a quick top-up at Membury. As we get closer, it then re-routed me to the Cardiff SuC. I checked Membury and it was warning a 'short wait' due to only one charger being available. I overrode the Nav as I needed a comfort stop at Membury anyway and, indeed, when I arrived I pulled into the last available stall. However, 5 mins later 3 cars had left.

I am also pretty sure this is because of how many stalls are occupied at the SuC. It may direct you there, then figures out it is too busy, and it then tries to figure out where to send you instead, while still having enough juice to get you there. Happened to me several times at the South Mimms site, which is always busy.

The annoying thing about rerouting manually to the same charger, ignoring the advice, is that it doesn’t tell you how long you have to charge until you can continue your journey. I wish it would tell you how busy the SuC is, and giving you the option to reroute or continue to the same charger.

Reactions: spdpsba
This happened to me yesterday. Travelling back to South Wales from the South East, the Nav, as normal, scheduled a quick top-up at Membury. As we get closer, it then re-routed me to the Cardiff SuC. I checked Membury and it was warning a 'short wait' due to only one charger being available. I overrode the Nav as I needed a comfort stop at Membury anyway and, indeed, when I arrived I pulled into the last available stall. However, 5 mins later 3 cars had left.
I had similar driving home from Stroud yesterday, set off with SC @ Mansfield as next charge, it then changed enroute but tried to send me back down a motorway I’d just travelled up. Mansfield at the time was showing only 2 chargers available however it was still 50 miles away. I reset for Mansfield and 7 out of 10 chargers were available.
This is the first time I’ve tried routing via SC enroute so it threw me a little lol. Glad it happened in UK though I’m driving to Berlin in June so it could potentially have caught me out in a foreign land🤣

The charge destination will change depends upon on how fast your drive. I have a 2022 Model S LR. When I see some open road along the I-5. I sometime gun it and do 100plus for a few minutes. Then next thing I know the charge destination changed because I sucked up so much more energy then what it probably used to compute my next charge point.