Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber noise from hatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone and greetings from Italy. I was looking from some info about Tesla and come to find this wonderful webiste, so this is my first post and I hope not to mess up with rules.

I would like to share one of the issuees I have on my Y received in November 22.
I was very excited for the silence felt while driving, but my pleasure lasted only 2000 km, as then some internal noises came out.
Some of then were fixed by the Service Center with methods that left me a little surprised (like the advise to keept the rear backrest in the more vertical position or the leather will make noise against the plastic trim... seriously?).

Now I have succeded in fixing many of them also thanks to this website and I decided I will focus on some other later, but there is still one that drives me crazy and I hope my English is good enough to explain it (or to understand if it was already discussed).
Not sure if it is the same already described in other topics, a I read some but maybe it is not this one.
Basically what I seem to feel is that the trunk hatch makes noises, no matter the speed I drive or road bumps the car drives over.
Even coming out from my garage at 1 km/h when crossing a little edge (2 cm) I hear the first noise, which is not a "bump" but it is like if tha gaskets of the hatch slided over those on the car sill and prduce this fastidious grating noise.
My opinion is that this occurs on every weight transfer of the hatch, even at the minimum variation and I wonder if it is by design or anything adjustable.

The SC said something which left me speechless "it is normal for cars with a so big hatch to produce noises. Also the Model 3 has them, but as the trunk is closed you don't hear them".
Well.. as many here I think that on such a premium car this should not happen and it deserves a better support than that, but today I cannot do other than trying to fix myself even if I am not very skilled in these kind of operations.

So far I tried:
- to lubricate the gaskets with silicone oil by using a little brush (this worked on my previous model 3 to silence doors and windows, but I had to do only after 2 years!)
- to apply secondary aftermarket gaskets on all door sills, including the hatch
- to adjust the rubber stops on the hatch

Nothing worked.
What remains is an advice to fill the gaskets with a vinil tube I read here, but I did not understand if this addresses also the noise or just the pression felt by hears and would like to be sure before cutting the rubbers.

Well.. this is all for now.
Thank you in advance to who will find time to answer my question and let me tell you that I am really excited to start being part of this community.

Welcome to the Tesla family!

The rubber stops help a lot with hatch noise. The thing with adjusting them is the envelope method did not work for me. Adjust them all the way in (all four of them) and adjust them back out a couple turns at a time. Drive and then adjust again if necessary. I had to adjust them four or five times to get things right.

Too little adjustment and you will get noise over bumps and a buffeting sound (like stereo bass) while driving. Too much adjustment and you will get excessive road noise and drafty cabin (when cold outside).

Also check the gasket and make sure it's installed correctly and not twisted in any areas.

Reactions: Ts91 and bjhinkle
The best way is to try to reproduce the sound while you are not driving. Sit inside the trunk and press or hit on the hatch trying to make it move. You can also use a "tone generator" app on your phone (search for it) to play a bass (50 hz or 60 hz) tone loudly through the speakers. That will sometimes make things vibrate. As a last resort, you can ask a friend to drive the car while you sit in the trunk and locate the sound. Once you have located the sound, you can figure out how to stop it. It may be as simple as adding felt tape or as difficult as taking the trim apart and locating a specific plastic joint to add lubricant. Good luck.

Ciao!

You don't have to worry about ruining the rubber in the gasket seal when putting in vinyl tubing. It fits in the holes that are already there. Just make sure to spray with some lubricant, like the silicone oil you already used. You will need 8mm (outer diameter) tubing. After putting in the tubing you will have to adjust the stoppers in the hatch door.

You can try using YouTube's auto-generated subtitles for Italian if it helps at all.

Welcome to the Tesla family!

The rubber stops help a lot with hatch noise. The thing with adjusting them is the envelope method did not work for me. Adjust them all the way in (all four of them) and adjust them back out a couple turns at a time. Drive and then adjust again if necessary. I had to adjust them four or five times to get things right.

Too little adjustment and you will get noise over bumps and a buffeting sound (like stereo bass) while driving. Too much adjustment and you will get excessive road noise and drafty cabin (when cold outside).

Also check the gasket and make sure it's installed correctly and not twisted in any areas.
Thanks, I will try this approch!

The best way is to try to reproduce the sound while you are not driving. Sit inside the trunk and press or hit on the hatch trying to make it move. You can also use a "tone generator" app on your phone (search for it) to play a bass (50 hz or 60 hz) tone loudly through the speakers. That will sometimes make things vibrate. As a last resort, you can ask a friend to drive the car while you sit in the trunk and locate the sound. Once you have located the sound, you can figure out how to stop it. It may be as simple as adding felt tape or as difficult as taking the trim apart and locating a specific plastic joint to add lubricant. Good luck.
I realize that in this forum there are so smart ideas Tesla should learn from!! Thanks.

Ciao!

You don't have to worry about ruining the rubber in the gasket seal when putting in vinyl tubing. It fits in the holes that are already there. Just make sure to spray with some lubricant, like the silicone oil you already used. You will need 8mm (outer diameter) tubing. After putting in the tubing you will have to adjust the stoppers in the hatch door.

You can try using YouTube's auto-generated subtitles for Italian if it helps at all.

Hello, let me tell you that I found this place starting exactly from your video on Youtube.
What a great work you have done!
I will follow your footprints and return with a feeback,

Just a question: I had already used the double aftermarket gaskets on my Model 3 and really liked them, both for the noise reduction and the door sills remaining clean even when raining. What is your feedback about this rubber on the hatch?

Thanks!

Hello, let me tell you that I found this place starting exactly from your video on Youtube.
What a great work you have done!
I will follow your footprints and return with a feeback,

Just a question: I had already used the double aftermarket gaskets on my Model 3 and really liked them, both for the noise reduction and the door sills remaining clean even when raining. What is your feedback about this rubber on the hatch?

Thanks!

I also have those extra seals. They are good for wind noise reduction and keeping the door sills clean...that's about it. They won't affect any of the loud noise coming from the weight of the hatch door.

See this is in slow-motion, the movement of the hatch door is what causes this noise.

ooOZML6.gif

Reactions: akidesir
Just ordered basenor seals off Amazon. Mine is nice a quiet now and there is a nice pop when I open the hatch. Also, when the hatch closes you could hear the latch secure it after it closes. If you don't hear both of those sounds the hatch is not properly adjusted.

Hi
Hello everyone and greetings from Italy. I was looking from some info about Tesla and come to find this wonderful webiste, so this is my first post and I hope not to mess up with rules.

I would like to share one of the issuees I have on my Y received in November 22.
I was very excited for the silence felt while driving, but my pleasure lasted only 2000 km, as then some internal noises came out.
Some of then were fixed by the Service Center with methods that left me a little surprised (like the advise to keept the rear backrest in the more vertical position or the leather will make noise against the plastic trim... seriously?).

Now I have succeded in fixing many of them also thanks to this website and I decided I will focus on some other later, but there is still one that drives me crazy and I hope my English is good enough to explain it (or to understand if it was already discussed).
Not sure if it is the same already described in other topics, a I read some but maybe it is not this one.
Basically what I seem to feel is that the trunk hatch makes noises, no matter the speed I drive or road bumps the car drives over.
Even coming out from my garage at 1 km/h when crossing a little edge (2 cm) I hear the first noise, which is not a "bump" but it is like if tha gaskets of the hatch slided over those on the car sill and prduce this fastidious grating noise.
My opinion is that this occurs on every weight transfer of the hatch, even at the minimum variation and I wonder if it is by design or anything adjustable.

The SC said something which left me speechless "it is normal for cars with a so big hatch to produce noises. Also the Model 3 has them, but as the trunk is closed you don't hear them".
Well.. as many here I think that on such a premium car this should not happen and it deserves a better support than that, but today I cannot do other than trying to fix myself even if I am not very skilled in these kind of operations.

So far I tried:
- to lubricate the gaskets with silicone oil by using a little brush (this worked on my previous model 3 to silence doors and windows, but I had to do only after 2 years!)
- to apply secondary aftermarket gaskets on all door sills, including the hatch
- to adjust the rubber stops on the hatch

Nothing worked.
What remains is an advice to fill the gaskets with a vinil tube I read here, but I did not understand if this addresses also the noise or just the pression felt by hears and would like to be sure before cutting the rubbers.

Well.. this is all for now.
Thank you in advance to who will find time to answer my question and let me tell you that I am really excited to start being part of this community.
hi, did you resolve them?