Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubbing noise from falcon wing doors when driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this thread! The sound has been driving me nuts and SC couldn’t do anything after two visits. Problem is way better now with wd40.
Update- WD 40 didn’t really work for very long- maybe I didn’t apply it correctly?

Berkeley SC seems to have fixed the noise after the 3rd visit. I don’t know what they did as I haven’t seen invoice but it is very noticeably better after picking up today- hopefully it will stay that way.

Update- WD 40 didn’t really work for very long- maybe I didn’t apply it correctly?

Berkeley SC seems to have fixed the noise after the 3rd visit. I don’t know what they did as I haven’t seen invoice but it is very noticeably better after picking up today- hopefully it will stay that way.
Wd40 is not ideal since it can dry out material. The WD is for water displacement. Gummi Pflege is water based and I prefer it. Plus it is from German, the land of squeaky BMWs interiors. Also it smell less chemically to me.

I spent a month tracking down similar falcon wing door rattles and managed to properly fix them by putting sound deadening materials under the side trims of each door frame. I found that one of the main noise drivers was contacting points of metallic clips underneath these side trims flexing and cracking when the top of the trim received pressure from the door itself.

Not easy to do, you will need experience and knowledge on using prying tool eith trims.
Could you point out visually on a photo where you started removing the trim?

Reactions: jboy210

@bayareaever Could you update us on what Berkeley SC did and whether it helped long term? I am having the same issue and now taking my car to service for it for the second time.

@bayareaever Could you update us on what Berkeley SC did and whether it helped long term? I am having the same issue and now taking my car to service for it for the second time.
Sorry I don’t know what they did exactly but it fortunately did work long term. I believe they added some material in the door as opposed to just making an adjustment. From the times I’ve been to the SC, some techs seemed to know more about this issue than others so there is some luck involved.

I still hear various noises but they are intermittent/infrequent and therefore manageable. I think the door seals are affected by temperature/humidity and because they are so long relative to other cars, they sometimes make noise.

Sorry I don’t know what they did exactly but it fortunately did work long term. I believe they added some material in the door as opposed to just making an adjustment. From the times I’ve been to the SC, some techs seemed to know more about this issue than others so there is some luck involved.

I still hear various noises but they are intermittent/infrequent and therefore manageable. I think the door seals are affected by temperature/humidity and because they are so long relative to other cars, they sometimes make noise.
Here’s the invoice quote for what it’s worth.

Concern: Customer states: Rattle or Squeak - Passenger falcon door is still creaking. Sounds like door seal is rubbing.
Verified customer concern. Applied noise cancelling material on affected areas of passenger falcon door to help dampen noise as best as possible.

I didn’t give up easily but I live near service and had the time. In 6 months of ownership, I already have 10 service invoices , starting the day of pickup and including mobile visits. ! It’s mostly been worth it as there are no more current issues and car is quite amazing in many ways.

Last edited:

Concern: Customer states: Rattle or Squeak - Passenger falcon door is still creaking. Sounds like door seal is rubbing.
Verified customer concern. Applied noise cancelling material on affected areas of passenger falcon door to help dampen noise as best as possible.

I didn’t give up easily but I live near service and had the time. In 6 months of ownership, I already have 10 service invoices , starting the day of pickup and including mobile visits. ! It’s mostly been worth it as there are no more current issues and car is quite amazing in many ways.
Thanks, and congrats on fixing all the little issues.

Which SC did you go to? I am getting a similar noise. So far Gummi Pledge has kept at bay for a month or so. But I would like to get a more permanent fix, and want to use someone who has dealt with it before.

Last edited:
This thread was awesome. I’ve been dealing with the annoying noise for weeks. Found what the issue was on my own, but found this thread on potential solutions. I ended up just putting 1/2” wide strip of electrical tape along the edge of the frame, forming a barrier between the materials that rub and creak. You also can’t notice the tape since it’s black on black, and relatively narrow.

This thread was awesome. I’ve been dealing with the annoying noise for weeks. Found what the issue was on my own, but found this thread on potential solutions. I ended up just putting 1/2” wide strip of electrical tape along the edge of the frame, forming a barrier between the materials that rub and creak. You also can’t notice the tape since it’s black on black, and relatively narrow.
could you share a photo?