Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: Heated Steering Wheel and Bioweapon Defense Mode Coming for 2021 Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does biodefense just mean it circulates its own air through a HEPA filter? How is this different than just pressing the recirculate button on any car and just happening to have a HEPA filter?

As for the heated wheel, I wonder if the hardware is present in the metal scroll wheel steering wheel or is another hardware update yet to come probably around 7 seater time.

Heated steering wheel makes sense in an EV. Keep the heater off in the 30-45 degree (F) temps and use the wheel and heated seats to remain comfortable. Why not keep the range as high as possible when you need it?

My current car has a heated wheel, and I thought I'd never use it -- my previous car didn't offer it at all. I was wrong. I use it most days between October and March.

I wonder what it would cost to add the heated steering wheel. $500 or less and I'd do it in a heartbeat. $500 to $1000, maybe.

Tesla service centers mostly do warranty work. I could see Tesla making a lot by continuing to make hardware changes and making paid upgrades optional.

Only upgrade I have is the laminated glass. I don't care about the new console - I prefer the current layout and can always wrap it if I get tired of the fingerprints. I don't care about the metal scroll wheels on the steering wheel either unless that's the indicator that it's capable of being heated. I DO wish I had a USB in the glove box.

If you could get the heated wheel, laminated glass and usb for 2k that would be a great deal. I doubt it though. I’m thinking 2k for the wheel, 2k for the glass, and 2k for the usb glovebox....

They wanted 5 hundred for a software unlock for the back seat heaters.

I wonder what it would cost to add the heated steering wheel. $500 or less and I'd do it in a heartbeat. $500 to $1000, maybe.

Tesla service centers mostly do warranty work. I could see Tesla making a lot by continuing to make hardware changes and making paid upgrades optional.

Only upgrade I have is the laminated glass. I don't care about the new console - I prefer the current layout and can always wrap it if I get tired of the fingerprints. I don't care about the metal scroll wheels on the steering wheel either unless that's the indicator that it's capable of being heated. I DO wish I had a USB in the glove box.

I agree with you 100%

Does biodefense just mean it circulates its own air through a HEPA filter? How is this different than just pressing the recirculate button on any car and just happening to have a HEPA filter?

It also turns the fan up high to create positive air pressure. And the HEPA filter is huge, I'd love to know why it needs to be so, my guess is that it's the increased air flow but then... what happens with smaller HEPA filters when the fan is set high?

Rather than wait for a heated steering wheel for the Model Y, with no way to know if the heated steering wheel could be retrofitted to my 2020 Model Y I have ordered a pair of heated gloves. If I don't end up wearing the heated gloves while driving at least I can use the heated gloves with my snow blower.
Good idea and certainly less expensive than trading in your MY, but I wonder if those gloves will work the touchscreen? I tried (regular) gloves in my Bolt and they wouldn't activate the touchscreen in that car. I have not tried any sort of gloves in my MY yet, please let us know how it works out. I may do exactly what you did if it works out...

Good idea and certainly less expensive than trading in your MY, but I wonder if those gloves will work the touchscreen? I tried (regular) gloves in my Bolt and they wouldn't activate the touchscreen in that car. I have not tried any sort of gloves in my MY yet, please let us know how it works out. I may do exactly what you did if it works out...
Here are the heated gloves I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/Clheatky-Electric-Rechargeable-Lightweight-Touchscreen/dp/B08G1BMJX6/

The thumb and index finger of each glove have added PU material. Suitable for all types of touch screen devices. We will see.

• Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It also turns the fan up high to create positive air pressure. And the HEPA filter is huge, I'd love to know why it needs to be so, my guess is that it's the increased air flow but then... what happens with smaller HEPA filters when the fan is set high?

yes. It is huge because of airflow reduction. It is also more than just swapping out the air filter. The ones on the MX has better seals so there is no leakage. As for the high fan comment, yes, they can do that but it means high draw on the energy and noise. Also, to achieve the same airflow rate out of vent, they would need to install higher rpm than current. More money, less efficient and more noise.

No thanks