Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumor] Tesla Model S Facelift in 2016 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just thought of a solution Tesla could offer that would placate almost everyone with the nosecone thing. They could start offering a color matched nosecone as an upgrade. The base price comes in black, but if you want a color matched nosecone, it costs an extra $200 or something like that. They don't have to go through the expense of a redesigned part when they don't have the staff dedicated to the S for that, and people who don't like the black nosecone can opt for something else. They could even offer the part as an add on for current owners too.

If they priced it so they made a few bucks on the upgrade, they change would pay for itself and most people would be happy with the look of their Model S.

The nose cone is what provides access to the 12 V battery. If they get rid of the nose cone, they're going to have to redesign that as well. No change to a car is ever as simple as one little thing. Every part is designed around the next part. Change one and likely, several more will have to change with it. What if one of the front bumper sensors goes out? Right now, pull the nose cone and swap it in few seconds. Get rid of the nose cone, now you likely have to remove the entire front bumper to reach them?

I am aware that removing the current nose cone provides access to the 12V battery. You are assuming that a redesign of the front end of the S would block that access. That is an unjustified assumption. A redesigned S front end could still allow for 12V access, it's a matter of designing it with that functionality.
As far as the front ultrasonics go, the X also has front ultrasonics, and no nose cone. Apparently Tesla is confident that it can access those front sensors in the X if necessary.

The nose cone is what provides access to the 12 V battery. If they get rid of the nose cone, they're going to have to redesign that as well. No change to a car is ever as simple as one little thing. Every part is designed around the next part. Change one and likely, several more will have to change with it. What if one of the front bumper sensors goes out? Right now, pull the nose cone and swap it in few seconds. Get rid of the nose cone, now you likely have to remove the entire front bumper to reach them?

It's no big deal to get rid of the nose cone and still have access to the battery, sensors, etc. because they did it on the X (and at the last minute too, it seems) and it's only a matter of time until the S follows suit.

To me, and probably a lot of other people, the nose cone is a big ugly gaping fish mouth that is crying out to be replaced. Thankfully, Tesla realized that on the X and got rid of it from the prototype and made it look sleek and sophisticated. Sooner or later the S will be looking like the X on the front, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

All just my personal opinion of course.

I may have missed this in 30 pages of this thread, but exactly who/why did this front end/nose cone redesign rumor start?
As far as I can tell, one owner, xrayvsn posted about his DS saying a facelift might come in April 2016 here. AmpedRealtor also posted in the 2nd post on this thread that s/he heard the same thing - but not sure if from the same source.

Is this whole thread based on the speculations of one DS?

I may have missed this in 30 pages of this thread, but exactly who/why did this front end/nose cone redesign rumor start?
As far as I can tell, one owner, xrayvsn posted about his DS saying a facelift might come in April 2016 here. AmpedRealtor also posted in the 2nd post on this thread that s/he heard the same thing - but not sure if from the same source.

There are other rumors around TMC - redesigned headlights (Next Generation Headlights?) and comments from the Burbank SC opening (Model S Refresh mentioned @ Burbank Studio Grand Opening). On the Burbank thread, another independent post had a friend that was working on headlights as part of refresh - project had been going on 6+ months as of October (Model S Refresh mentioned @ Burbank Studio Grand Opening - Page 3)

I've also heard whispers from folks that "refresh" and AP changes are "right around the corner".

Of course these are all rumors, but come on - several different sources are reporting this - it isn't just one random poster. We have old and new members reporting similar things. Something is coming...

Last edited:

I've been one who has been skeptical of any extensive redesign before the Model 3 is in production. I'm an R&D engineer and I'm aware just how much work goes into even minor changes. It wouldn't be all that much work to take parts off the Model X that can fit directly into the Model S without extensive redesign and fit them in, but anything requiring any changes to bodywork requires a lot of changes beyond just the individual part. The front end of the Model X and S are structurally different. The nose of the Model X is taller than the S and a bit of a different shape. Because of that, you can't just take the bumper and nose piece from the X and pop it onto the Model S. It would have to be completely redesigned to fit the S and areas on the S that are multiple parts now would have to be redesigned to be one part.

You would be starting with something that already works on a similar car, so you aren't starting from scratch, but all new molds would have to be made for the new plastic part, it would have to be road tested to ensure it doesn't have any hidden design flaws, and the new part would have to be integrated into the existing production process. It can all by done, but it's not trivial and it's all hands on deck to get the Model X into production and get the design of the Model 3 finished right now.

The 12V battery is behind the nosecone on the S. I don't know where it is in the X. From the layout of the Model X frunk, it looks obvious to me they reorganized a lot of the equipment ahead of the firewall in the X to make a more useful frunk area. The 12V battery may have been relocated and the access panel for it might be through the floor of the frunk. If that's the case, the S nosecone could be replaced with something that merges with the bumper with no consequence. However, the 12V battery still needs access on the S. If the plan is to relocate it somewhere else, that will involve even more redesign and more testing than just a simple trim piece redesign. Anytime you start moving around parts needed for operation of the vehicle, you need to reanalyze safety issues and make sure the moved part isn't going to cause problems in it's new spot.

The Model S is going to be on the back burner except for two areas: items that can be taken directly from the Model X and integrated with little effort and bug fixes. That's the only effort they are going to be putting into the S until the two above things are done.

By March the Model X production problems should be sorted out and the prototype for the Model 3 should be done. The Model 3 will continue to have a lot of work after March, but they might be able to free up a small engineering team to look at a minor Model S facelift after March. If they do, don't expect anything to be ready for production until late 2016.

As for the LED headlights seen on a test mule at the factory SC a few months ago. Those may or may not be entering production. It's not unusual for development teams to test out technologies and discard them. They may have been evaluating an LED headlight option that may or may not have made the cut and it may not have been a test for anything near production. It may have been a test done by the Model 3 team for something that will be deployed with the Model 3 and there is no intention of putting these on the S and X anytime soon.

Engineering anything for production is a very labor and time intensive thing. Hammering out a prototype in the lab is one thing, but getting that prototype to production can take longer than it took to make the prototype. That's why many concept cars never make it to production. The design guys make a one off prototype that wows people at car shows, but when management looks at the cost/benefit of converting the concept into a production car, it often isn't worth it.

Thanks for the added sources! I wasn't aware of those. I still am a bit skeptical. Not that I'm looking to upgrade, but if I were, I'd be waiting for AP version 2, although hopefully/presumably that would be included as part of a refresh - of course followed by a several month wait for the software to catch up :).
There are other rumors around TMC - redesigned headlights (Next Generation Headlights?) and comments from the Burbank SC opening (Model S Refresh mentioned @ Burbank Studio Grand Opening). On the Burbank thread, another independent post had a friend that was working on headlights as part of refresh - project had been going on 6+ months as of October (Model S Refresh mentioned @ Burbank Studio Grand Opening - Page 3)

I've also heard whispers from folks that "refresh" and AP changes are "right around the corner".

Of course these are all rumors, but come on - several different sources are reporting this - it isn't just one random poster. We have old and new members reporting similar things. Something is coming...

The 12V battery is behind the nosecone on the S.

Engineering anything for production is a very labor and time intensive thing. Hammering out a prototype in the lab is one thing, but getting that prototype to production can take longer than it took to make the prototype. That's why many concept cars never make it to production. The design guys make a one off prototype that wows people at car shows, but when management looks at the cost/benefit of converting the concept into a production car, it often isn't worth it.

Thanks for injecting a little realism to this thread.

Secondarily, *If I Remember Correctly*, my Model S battery sits under the passenger side windshield part of the frunk, not the nose cone. The connectors run up to the nose cone for accessibility with jumper cables. Some have said it's a motorcycle battery. Mine appears to be full sized. Whatever that's worth. I really oughta go look, but it's cold outside.

There are other rumors around TMC ...

They all read TMC and remark on the original rumor to someone. This then becomes the confirming "second source". And so on. It's like Chinese Whispers :)

Even Elon hasn't leaked a Model S refresh, and he seems more determined to Osborne Tesla than anyone (grr!). Once an analyst pops the question during a conference call, and Elon replies, "I can't really confirm or deny the impending refresh we've been working hard on scheduled for 6 months away", then I'll believe.

I would think they have their hands already full with Model X, Model 3, and announced Roadster refresh.

A lot of posters come back to the "it's all hands on deck for Model 3/X" and that Tesla doesn't have time to update the S. I propose that the S updates have been in the works for some time (as evidenced by the new headlights being in development as far back as April 2015). Anyone that works in tech/consumer electronics knows - you already have version 2 in progress when you ship version 1. Tesla isn't just working on these changes now - if they're really going to update nosecone/headlights/seats/AP/etc, it has been in the works for quite a while.

Maybe. Rumors take on a life of their own and spread so fast that they sometimes appear to come from multiple sources but actually start with a single person randomly speculating. And then they start to become "real".
Yes, at some point the S will get an exterior design revision. Elon has stated as such. Only the timing is up for debate.

Maybe. Rumors take on a life of their own and spread so fast that they sometimes appear to come from multiple sources but actually start with a single person randomly speculating. And then they start to become "real".
Yes, at some point the S will get an exterior design revision. Elon has stated as such. Only the timing is up for debate.

Right. This commonly happens in the tech media where it is common to quote/paraphrase from secondary sources and never to verify the primary source.

For example this "rumor" is already being reported (following the source chain):
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/30/tesla-model-s-redesign-pet-cargo-cover/
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...design-coming-to-commonize-with-model-x-rumor
http://electrek.co/2015/12/22/rumor-tesla-is-planning-a-redesign-of-the-model-s-for-spring-2016/

All of the above articles originated from the service advisor rumor started here in TMC.

The other factor is there is a feedback loop especially here on TMC because a lot of Tesla employees read this forum and it is very easy for claims to gain legitimacy that way.

Right. This commonly happens in the tech media where it is common to quote/paraphrase from secondary sources and never to verify the primary source.

For example this "rumor" is already being reported (following the source chain):
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/30/tesla-model-s-redesign-pet-cargo-cover/
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...design-coming-to-commonize-with-model-x-rumor
http://electrek.co/2015/12/22/rumor-tesla-is-planning-a-redesign-of-the-model-s-for-spring-2016/

All of the above articles originated from the service advisor rumor started here in TMC.

The other factor is there is a feedback loop especially here on TMC because a lot of Tesla employees read this forum and it is very easy for claims to gain legitimacy that way.

So then it's possible that the rumours started here will put pressure on Tesla to actually make changes to the nosecone when none was planned just to keep up with us!

I agree....:)

I agree.... Down at the mother ship today and took another tour. Lots of Xs and did see that both the nose and back are plastic pieces. I like to triangulate data points. My P90D was ordered in October with a delivery date scheduled for March...:)