Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumors- Apple May Have Considered Purchasing Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Apple wanted a minority share they could buy shares on the open market and it would likely be cheaper than negotiating a premium over common shares with Tesla.

Depends how many shares but your probably right unless it was for more than 10% I would guesstimate...buying more than that of TSLA in the open market I think would generate a higher stock price unless it was done over a long period of time...wait a minute...what if that is whats happening right now???

There was talk of Foxconn setting up a Factory in Pennsylvania for Tesla display screens. Would this be beneficial to Apple also?

Not likely. Apple sources screens from LG, Samsung, Sharp(who they have a strong ownership in). Due to their mobile markets, They are advancing screen technology in ways that don't match Tesla's priorities.
I would be willing to bet (and I will with some increased long calls), Apple is a funding partner for the gigafactory in exchange for exclusive and Apple designed battery production, no conflict with a Panasonic co partnership for cells etc.

Apple logo.jpg

Doubtful Apple is looking to buy Tesla. It's just not in the profile of either company. What I DO see as a possibility is a joint venture on material components (in terms of procurement or development) and accessories for Apple products (many Apple owners have a Model S).

Reasons that I say this are Tesla makes it's own aluminum components... Apple heavily uses this, why not JV? Tesla wants to develop a battery Giga factory, as mentioned previously this stands to benefit Apple as well. It's in everybody's best interest to make battery's more efficient and thinner/lighter.

I'm not following you here. Can you elaborate?

Apple MO is to up front the huge investments in capital costs to it's manufacturing partners, in exchange for exclusive output rights to that facility (locking out competitors access to high volume manufacturing of uniquely capital intensive manufacturing processes). They do this in screens with Sharp, with semi conductors with TSMC, and with many others on smaller scales. Currently they are funding full factory build of sapphire manufacturing for GT Advanced Tech., extremely difficult and huge capital costs to make in large volumes. This MO fits with a funding for exclusive and custom battery production out of this plant. And Tim Cook is the one at Apple who originally created this type of outsourcing strategy (with Jobs' approval of course)