Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running Climate On 'Keep'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a little warm and I had the AC on today. I usually turn off the AC for a mile or so before home and just run the fan to get rid of moisture. Today I did not turn the AC off until I got home. I decided to run the climate on 'Keep' with the AC off; just the fan running. Found a little puddle under the car. Just wondering if it's wise to do this. I have had the car through 2 summers and so far no mold smells at all.

TL;DR - No issue.

I have HVAC in my car for my comfort and keep it in Auto almost all the time, though tweaking the temp, fan speeds, and chosen outlets as needed. I’ve not shut off the HVAC ever since getting the car, and similarly every car I’ve had since my first car in 1967. My 2018 Model 3 doesn’t have any untoward aromatics fortunately. Yes, there is always a puddle of condensed water on the ground or in the garage after parking when the A/C compressor is used. This has not been a problem for me. I have seen some car owners with absolutely immaculate garages use a drip pan underneath their cars to catch the condensate but that’s far beyond any effort I’ve taken, or care to.

Reactions: Technokrat
I routinely turn off my 2020 M3's HVAC system as soon as I get home because I feel that letting it run after the car is parked is using up battery capacity that I would rather save for driving. In the nearly 4 years I have been doing this I have never had any kind of bad odor in my car.

I routinely turn off my 2020 M3's HVAC system as soon as I get home because I feel that letting it run after the car is parked is using up battery capacity that I would rather save for driving. In the nearly 4 years I have been doing this I have never had any kind of bad odor in my car.
Leaving it run, particularly if using just the fan uses very little energy.

TL;DR - No issue.

I have HVAC in my car for my comfort and keep it in Auto almost all the time, though tweaking the temp, fan speeds, and chosen outlets as needed. I’ve not shut off the HVAC ever since getting the car, and similarly every car I’ve had since my first car in 1967. My 2018 Model 3 doesn’t have any untoward aromatics fortunately. Yes, there is always a puddle of condensed water on the ground or in the garage after parking when the A/C compressor is used. This has not been a problem for me. I have seen some car owners with absolutely immaculate garages use a drip pan underneath their cars to catch the condensate but that’s far beyond any effort I’ve taken, or care to.
This. Just use the damn thing and don't worry yourself about mold and odors, etc. Like Sam, I've never turned off my A/C since the Old Days, and I've never had any issues. They're designed to be always-on, for cooling in the summer and moisture control in the winter (especially the heat pump ones).

The water puddle is totally normal. In fact, if you have had the A/C running and DON'T have a puddle, it might indicate the drain line is clogged and needs attention.