Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rushden Lakes now charge for charge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads-up for anyone who uses the Rushden Lakes shopping centre in Northants - the Pod-Point chargers are no longer free! As from June 30th they have introduced a 44p/kWh tariff. The shopping centre is local to me (about 4 miles away) and it was a nice feeling while sitting in the cinema knowing that the car was getting free electrons! TBH, I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

All Pod Points at Tescos did the same about 12-18 months ago - went from being free for a few hours while you use Tescos (or just sit there watching Netflix) to charging per kWh. It wasn’t the charging though that I went for - more the wider spaces that our local Tesco had for the PodPoints! Now I park miles away and charge at home on IO for 7.5p per kWh

Just a heads-up for anyone who uses the Rushden Lakes shopping centre in Northants - the Pod-Point chargers are no longer free! As from June 30th they have introduced a 44p/kWh tariff. The shopping centre is local to me (about 4 miles away) and it was a nice feeling while sitting in the cinema knowing that the car was getting free electrons! TBH, I'm surprised it's lasted this long.
Yeah, it’s still free at the Retail Park in Selly Oak but I can’t imagine it lasting much longer. I’m amazed it’s still going, tbh, but there has been many a time when I chose to go there for dinner instead of somewhere else because I had free electrons so maybe it brings in more money than it costs? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think in the case of Rushden Lakes the free charge was "abused" if that's a valid term. I quite often go there early on a Saturday morning (about 7am) to have a walk around the lakes before meeting my sister at 8am for a coffee and, of course, until recently to get some free power. On every single occasion the four 22kW chargers are in use, one of them by the same Model 3 every time. Plus I've spoken to people using the chargers who admit they live close by but plug in because it's free. Again, they go and walk the dog, or jog around the lakes, so not really putting any cash into the retail park. Personally, though I did make use of them, I'm glad to see they are no longer free. Whether 44p/kWh is fair is a matter of opinion of course.