Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
who is watching who is leaking what was seeded to who ...

In a way this shows that society is evolving.

In the old days you could acquire classified information by means of a honey pot or bribery. Sometimes you could get it if the leaker felt like some wrong was being committed.

These days all you have to do is push someone to prove that they're right on the internet. :)

Pre-invasion the Ruble was ~ 75 per $
80 is not a "collapse," but we sure can hope it goes higher. A LOT higher

A devaluation of 20% a month might lead to Russians wondering if they should have a 'don't care' attitude towards the invasion
The title of the video said the ruble was down 34% in 4 months. Jake also references his previous video from last summer: why is the Russian ruble so strong right now? where he explains why the Russian economy is screwed despite the propped up ruble.

Sure, the time scale you use to look at a price can change the picture immensely (see: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable ;)). Jake zoomed out and looked over the past 19 years which shows the ruble was relatively stable until 2014 when sanctions in response to the illegal annexation of Crimea kicked in and the ruble lost about half its value. Then there was a huge drop right after the 2022 war started but, as explained in Jake's previous video, Putin bolstered the ruble short term. It has now fallen to its pre-war value.

Jake then explains why he thinks the ruble will continue to fall. Russia propped up their currency by, among other things, buying back rubles with foreign reserves. Their limited supply of foreign cash is running out so the devaluation due to the new sanctions is starting to kick in. Even if you don't view this rapid drop in value as a collapse, @madodel's observation seems accurate; the mirage of a stable ruble is collapsing.

Jake then references this article Russia’s Finance Ministry reports first quarter budget deficit of 2.4 trillion rubles which says they have already used up 82% of their allotted yearly deficit for 2023 in just the first quarter primarily due to gas and oil revenues being down 45% compared to the same period the last year. He then covers the large emigration out of Russia, noting that the people Russia needs most to keep their economy going are the ones who are fleeing.

Before this war started, Jake covered finance and investing. He may not be the world's top expert but he's not pulling his coverage of the ruble from out of his hat. IIRC there was a lot of angst (and joy) about the sanctions not working as evidenced by the strong ruble. Jake provides context that shows the sanctions are working and this is now reflected in a weakening of the ruble after Russia pulled out all the stops to prop it up.

The French president just made some remarks in China about not being vassals to the US (it was made in regards to Taiwan, but could also apply to the Ukraine):

Not familiar with French politics (maybe the French public supports this idea also), but the EU in general didn't seem very receptive to be idea and overall seems to have an impression Macron's China trip gave a huge PR win to China, while accomplishing essentially nothing to get them to change their stance on Ukraine or Taiwan (perhaps even emboldening them on the latter).

I personally seriously doubt if the US and EU do not cooperate fully, that either Ukraine or Taiwan can be handled well. I'm sure Russia and China would love it if EU and US parted ways militarily.
Ref the unwillingness of France to be a vassal of the US: within de Gaulle’s war memoirs, he spoke of the political price he paid when he made it clear to the US in late 1944 that he didn’t want France to just end up being a consumer of US finished goods after the war.

The kind of road bases UKR are operating from.

This tweet is probably marked sensitive or something. That is false.

EDIT: Or perhaps it doesn't show up at all for some reason...

EDIT 2: You can find the clip on the Twitter account called "The Dead District". When posting this the tweet in question was about one day old.

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe trouble in River City....: Reminiscence of the Future...
Please do not feed Putin's trolls.

OTOH, if you want a jumbled, poorly worded screed about how the US now is an economic dwarf compared to the early 1940s, how the current US military and economy are impotent, and how fighting climate change is psychologically deranged, then please read on.

Perhaps you will be inspired to volunteer for the Wagner Group. /s

This was the reasoning given to explain (in "human language") why Biden is using bipartisan Congressionally approved funds to arm Ukraine now and is holding Lend-Lease in reserve in case the Congressional funding dries up.

The only possible explanation for this obvious pragmatism is some deep dark incomprehensible conspiracy theory. /s

Ideally, F-16s (or some such) and AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missiles would be needed to achieve sufficient capability to strike Russian attack aircraft which drop the bombs a few miles in over occupied land and then immediately turn around again.

AMRAAM might intercept the attacking AC during egress, but that's a revenge kill. Far more effective to choose Durandel for a strike against the originating airbase. Which is why the U.S. hasn't given Durandel to Ukraine. Or 4th-Gen fighter-bombers, which would only be effective in their designed role if they widen the war. Not on NATO's agenda.

TL;dr Ukraine will likely eat some glidebombs for awhile, at least until the counter-offensive starts and puts mobility back into the Russian targeting equation.

Reactions: iPlug
That lecture I did watch. But it was a while ago and is not exactly fresh in memory… And that clan/group issue part has completely faded from memory.

Re: Lying

As I remember it, it boiled down to that the Russians have some additional ways of lying/not telling the truth when communicating in their native language. And understandably that is of importance if you’re basically operating as a Finnish intelligence officer inside of Russia and communicating in Russian…

It is most likely also of importance if you’re dealing with Russians or any kind of translation from Russian.

Yes, Russian has a number of terms for "truth" all with slightly different meanings. From what I've read "pravda" means a "truth" that is really a lie you can get away with.

So…

One the one hand we have these Mongol events that toke place more than 600 years ago. And in the other hand we have all of human history since… What do I think matters most for understanding the current Russian Dictator/Dictatorship?…

I think all of human history since this Mongol period matters more. That, and just basic human psychology.

And with regards to lying and the Russian Dictator/the Kremlin – IMO we can just basically assume that they are always lying.

History shapes the present. European history would have been very different if the Roman Empire had never existed, if Christianity hadn't become a major religious movement, or many other things.

The history of Russia and Ukraine are intertwined with many factors from many directions. The Vikings (mostly Swedish) traveled the river systems conducting trade. Kyiv was linked to Byzantium until the fall of Constantinople, then Kyiv become the center of culture for the region.

The Mongol Horde reached the region and they did what the Horde always did. They made example of some places to encourage the other peoples of the area to become vassals. Muskova became a vassal and Kyiv decided to fight. At the time the Mongols had the technological advantage and few peoples could resist them.

Muskova learned lessons from being a vassal. They subsequently conquered all of northern Asia using those tactics on the peoples of the region after the Mongol Horde fell apart. In the case of the growing Russian Empire Russia had the technology of Europe while the peoples of the steppe had not evolved their weapons tech from the days of the Mongol Horde.

History matters.

If my understanding is correct, ethnic Ukrainians are not regarded as different than other ethnic minorities in "Greater Russia". Kiev is regarded as the 'mother city'. Russians in Ukraine who are ethnic Russian are regarded as Russians, unless they ally themselves with the 'Nazi' elements, i.e. non-Russian Ukrainian.

To complete the picture, the Russian leaders tend to see 'the Ukraine' as an integral part of Russia. Historically ethnic Russians have tended to see minorities as useful serfs, menial workers, or common soldiers.

Russia was the last European country to free their serfs. It didn't happen until the 1860s after the loss in Crimea.

In the thinking of the Russian leadership, the white Russians of the Moscow/St Petersburg area are the top of the heap and the other people of Russia are second class citizens who are supposed to be ordered around by their "natural leaders". The industries around Russia have local workers, but the managers all come from the Moscow/St Petersburg region. The lower managers have their families living well in Moscow and they visit a couple of times a month. The upper managers keep their families in Europe and traveled back and forth before the war.

In my opinion the easiest analogue for the western world is to consider how slaves were viewed in the mid-19th century by the slave-holding class. In essence that is not exactly sub-human but certainly is inferior and unsuited for any important governmental role. The core principle to understand is that Russia has never stopped being a feudal society, nor has it stopped thinking in terms nearly identical to western colonial terms of the 19th century.

The way the Muskovites consider the rest of Russia has parallels with the American South.

In short, one never, ever, should make the fundamental error in imagining that Russia really is in any respect 'modern' despite possessing technologies that are sometimes very modern and having a small segment of society that seems very modern and western. All that was true at the time of Peter the Great, as a visit to Saint Petersburg can show, and as central Moscow seemed to be ten years ago. It still is as it was, and Westerners keep being just as confused about it as they were in the 18th century.

A friend who used to be in the oil business. He had a friend who spent time working on the oilfields in Siberia. He said they had indoor plumbing, but hadn't mastered the idea of the U bend so all buildings smell of raw sewage.

Now we really to be understanding the "One China" policy in all its ambiguity, furthered by desires to ameliorate commercial Chinese relationships. This is now almost inextricably linked to The Russia Ukraine conflict because the two cases are similar in some ways and both now are becoming fraught.

If there is any chance to avoid catastrophe it will require mature and dispassionate understanding of both Russia and China. Personally I am not optimistic.

My first commercial dealings with China were in 1978 with a Middle Eastern bank I ran established formal correspondent with the Bank of China. My Russia experience came a bit earlier when I was in Iran and dealt with Russians on commercial matters. I learned a great deal then and afterwards, just enough to understand that we are in uncharted waters led primarily with people who have minimal understand. Again, I claim only to understand enough to realize the odds are increasing for unpleasant solutions. The primary protagonists right now seem to be around my age. That is terrible news! Old people have rigid thinking. China, Russia and the US leaders are thinking of the world as it was.

We are in uncharted waters to a large degree. There are a lot of factors in play that could bring down the largest powers in the world, or alter them forever.

Kyiv Independent has an article about the Dictator's use of 500kg and 1500kg glide bombs. The Dictator has now started using them against frontline areas since the cruise missiles seem to be in short supply. Theses glide bombs are a serious problem for Ukraine and the only effective countermeasures here are Western 4th gen fighter aircraft, as you cannot group air defenses with sufficient reach within close enough range to the front. If UKR SAM-sites are grouped to close to the front the Dictator's artillery can target those SAM sites trough 'signals intelligence' or visually via drones. Ideally, F-16s (or some such) and AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missiles would be needed to achieve sufficient capability to strike Russian attack aircraft which drop the bombs a few miles in over occupied land and then immediately turn around again.

The 1500kg glide bombs have at least been used against Avdiivka, where one such bomb can level an entire block.

Credit goes to (in Swedish):

Russian air defense is still plentiful and active. NATO aircraft have some more modern countermeasures than the old MiG-29s, but they are still vulnerable to air defense until Russian air defense systems are neutralized.

Ukraine will not be able to get to air parity with Russia. They just don't have enough pilots even if the west gives them unlimited aircraft.

The US has been supplying Ukraine with Avenger AD systems. Those are a cheap short range AD system. The US built 1100 of them, but only a handful have been officially delivered to Ukraine. Hopefully more have been delivered in secret.

Unfortunately NATO doctrine relies on overwhelming air power and air defense is not a major component of doctrine. Russian doctrine relies on overwhelming air defense.

Reactions: unk45 and BitJam
Putin bolstered the ruble short term

I cannot remember details of my calculation, but the 2022 profit windfall from fossil sales during the winter is a large part of the answer why the Russian economy is still going and their reserves are strong. My point here is that the short-term prop of the Ruble in early 2022 was needed until fossil revenues took up the slack from the cost of war and loss of international trade.

Jake provides context that shows the sanctions are working and this is now reflected in a weakening of the ruble after Russia pulled out all the stops to prop it up.

If winter 2023 is not a repeat windfall then I'll be more optimistic that Russia can be damaged economically by the West.
So far as sanctions go, I stand by my earlier comments. Their primary utility is to depress Russian tech and military production.

-------
Rant: I suggest less history or Russian pysche analysis, and more acknowledgment that the prelude, conduct, and outcome of this invasion distills down to fossil fuels. This is Putin's one substantial insight, and the sooner the West makes it irrelevant, the better off we all will be.

Last edited:
-------
Rant: I suggest less history or Russian pysche analysis, and more acknowledgment that the prelude, conduct, and outcome of this invasion distills down to fossil fuels. This is Putin's one substantial insight, and the sooner the West makes it irrelevant, the better off we all will be.

That's your opinion, but others have come to different conclusions. The Russian invasion was was funded with fossil fuel income, and Russia did occupy the parts of Ukraine that had fossil fuels in 2014. But those parts of the country and also had the largest Russian speaking population.

The 2014 invasion happened after the Maidan Revolution and coincidentally when Ukraine started courting western oil companies to develop their oil and gas. The oil and gas development may have been part of the reason, but Russia also didn't want a large part of their border shared with a country friendly to the west. They tried to do to Ukraine what they did to Belarus and the Ukrainians decided to kick the guy out rather than be a puppet of Russia.

I think it had more to do with Putin wanting to feel secure than the oil and gas. The fossil fuel games were a bonus.

Being an oil power does not make a country want to invade their neighbors. The US is currently the #1 oil producers and it currently doesn't appear to want to invade anyone. Saudi Arabia is #2 and they are messing with Yemen, but aren't really taking an offensive stance. Canada is #4 and I can be pretty certain they are not planning on taking North Dakota any time soon.

The oil wealth has enabled Russia to rebuild their military to some degree, and it has enabled them to surf the economic strain of the war thus far, but it didn't make them go to war.

I think Putin wants to bring back the Great Game and wants Russia to become the super power dominating eastern Europe and a large chunk of Asia again.

It would be nice to reduce world dependence on oil, but I don't think that's realistic in a time frame that will truly hurt Russia. I know there are those who believe we can convert a large portion of the world to renewables and electric vehicles quickly, but IMO it's going to take longer. We should still be trying to convert as fast as we can, but it's a big change that affects almost everything in the world. Fossil fuels are an input into almost every industry, almost everybody in the world use them daily. It's probably the biggest change the world has ever tried to make in a short time period.

The scheme that is being forced on Russia still gets Russian oil into the world market, but Russia is not making much money off it at all. Wars are fantastically expensive and Russia is trying to run their largest war since 1945 on diminished oil income that also needs to go to pay for everything else in the country. The war has reduced their consumer economy, but it hasn't eliminated it. And there are essential services they still need to pay for.

Sanctions don't work fast. Russia had reserves to fall back on and they had financial options to play before they hit bottom. In history there have been cases where countries ran out of money in the middle of a war and suddenly things got messy. It hasn't happened in the modern world with the kind of financial system we have, but nobody has been sanctioned like Russia has either. Russia may not go completely broke, but there is a possibility that they could experience hyper inflation when the reserves finally run out.

We are in sort of uncharted waters with how the sanctions play out. If Russia goes into rebellion, it won't be from the sanctions. Those are a uniting factor for the Russian people, but there are growing divisive factors. It's becoming clear that Russia is dealing with some unhappy people who have taken upon themselves to conduct sabotage around the country. I haven't been keeping track of all the incidents, but my impression is they are growing in sophistication of targets if not in frequency.

That's your opinion, but others have come to different conclusions. The Russian invasion was was funded with fossil fuel income,

I think it is more accurate to say that the Russian cash flow has remained viable this long only because of the net effect of the : various Russian-driven controls; the Western-driven controls; the spike in oil (and metals) prices that have largely compensated for the reductions in fossils (esp gas) volumes; and the accumulated Russian reserves that Putin had amassed over approx the previous decade. The Russan central bank chief ( a lady called Elvira Sakhipzadovna Nabiullina Elvira Nabiullina - Wikipedia ) has - unfortunately - done a super job of keeping Russia as stable as possible for as long as possible. But those reserves are finite.

Most studies I have read suggest that Russia cannot keep these economic / financial plates in the air after end-2023 as that is when the reserves run out. The question is how long before that does the mask begin to slip.

Kyiv Independent has an article about the Dictator's use of 500kg and 1500kg glide bombs. The Dictator has now started using them against frontline areas since the cruise missiles seem to be in short supply. Theses glide bombs are a serious problem for Ukraine and the only effective countermeasures here are Western 4th gen fighter aircraft, as you cannot group air defenses with sufficient reach within close enough range to the front. If UKR SAM-sites are grouped to close to the front the Dictator's artillery can target those SAM sites trough 'signals intelligence' or visually via drones. Ideally, F-16s (or some such) and AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missiles would be needed to achieve sufficient capability to strike Russian attack aircraft which drop the bombs a few miles in over occupied land and then immediately turn around again.

The 1500kg glide bombs have at least been used against Avdiivka, where one such bomb can level an entire block.

Credit goes to (in Swedish):
...] Russian air defense is still plentiful and active. NATO aircraft have some more modern countermeasures than the old MiG-29s, but they are still vulnerable to air defense until Russian air defense systems are neutralized.

Ukraine will not be able to get to air parity with Russia. They just don't have enough pilots even if the west gives them unlimited aircraft.

The US has been supplying Ukraine with Avenger AD systems. Those are a cheap short range AD system. The US built 1100 of them, but only a handful have been officially delivered to Ukraine. Hopefully more have been delivered in secret.

Unfortunately NATO doctrine relies on overwhelming air power and air defense is not a major component of doctrine. Russian doctrine relies on overwhelming air defense.

Lieutenant Colonel (retired) Dan 'Two Dogs' Hampton disagrees completely!

The video is about 4:23 long.

There's also this article, but it doesn't contain all the info that's in the Y-tube video.

Last edited:

There's also this article, but it doesn't contain all the info that's in the Y-tube video.

I bet they'll run out of planes before they run out of qualified foreign volunteers to fly them.

Identifying him as an "ace" is a misnomer. In the US and Britain an "ace" is someone who shoots down 5 enemy aircraft in air to air combat. The last time a western pilot did this was in 1972. US pilot Steve Ritchie flying an F-4 Phantom II in Vietnam.

There were stories about the Ghost of Kyiv who who down 40 Russians in this war, but that appears to be a myth.

As for the video, he said F-16s were a long term solution for Ukraine and that Ukraine should identify promising pilots going through basic training and send them to F-16 school. That's a timeline of at least a year. Transitioning from one western jet to another takes at least 4 months.

The point I made wasn't that the Ukrainians couldn't fly F-16s, but that they couldn't fly enough of them to do all the missions necessary to prevent losing a lot of planes and pilots. Ukraine might be able to scrape together 100 combat pilots, that's both fighter and ground attack specialists. It would involve bringing any healthy retired pilots back to active service.

The Ukrainian air force was much smaller than the Russian air force at the beginning of this war and they have suffered attrition of the combat aircraft they did have. they started the war with 26 Su-27, 28 Su-24 and Su-25 (ground attack), and around 40 MiG-29s. They have gotten more MiGs since the start of the war, but they probably have less than 40 operational now.

They can get western pilots to volunteer, but while there are a lot of enthusiastic volunteers on social media, the number of retired pilots who are still in good enough health to fly a plane capable of pulling 9 gs is limited. Even with a g-suit and in top health the g forces that a fighter like the F-16 can pull in a tight turn is hard on young bodies. Ironically on average the female body is more capable of handling the g stresses than the male body. Something they discovered when they started certifying women for combat roles.

The original AVG (American Volunteer Group) of Flying Tigers fame was three squadrons based in then Burma. They were able to recruit 82 pilots and the US allowed actively serving pilots in the various branches of the military to volunteer because the US knew it needed experienced pilots for the coming war. Nobody in active service is going to be released to fight in Ukraine.

The larger the air contingent the Ukrainians have, the more difficult it's going to be to protect them on the ground. That involves dedicating air defense assets to the bases where the F-16s are flying from. The air defense will have to be capable of taking out drones as well as more conventional weapons.

To operate successfully against the Russians, the Ukrainians need to simultaneously operate Wild Weasels (SEAD) to neutralize Russian air defense, CAP (combat air patrol) fighters to neutralize Russian aircraft, and ground attack aircraft.

The Russians have been flying CAP with MiG-31s and Su-35s equipped with massive air-to air missiles that have ranges much longer than anything the west has. The only defense the Ukrainians have with dealing with those is to try and evade the missiles. And to evade, them, they need to detect them first, which is already a difficult problem.

Russia’s MiG-31 Foxhounds Proving To Be A Threat To Ukrainian Aircraft

The Ukrainians will never get air superiority in this war. It just is not possible. They have thus far denied the Russians air superiority and their small air force has pulled off small penny packet attacks that in some cases have yielded good results. Their helicopter raids on places like Belgorod have given the Russians fits and both did real damage and forced the Russians to tie down air defense assets in Russia.

Western aircraft will give Ukraine more capability in the guerilla air war, but they are not going to be able to wipe Russian aircraft and Russian air defense off the map.

NATO could do it. The USAF alone has around 1500 fixed wing combat aircraft. That's not counting the Navy and the Marines who bring another 800 or so combat aircraft to the fight. All of NATO has 3398 fighters, 1439 combat helicopters, and 1108 ground attack aircraft. NATO's air power is built to take on the known Russian air and anti-air combat power and neutralize it.
NATO aircraft strength by type 2023 | Statista

Ukraine can win this war. Russia was weak on the ground to start the war, and they are weaker now. Ukraine's army started off better trained and has just gotten stronger. Russia's air power has proven to be a disappointment, like the rest of their military. They can't conduct large scale air ops because they never trained for them. Instead they are conducting small raids with one or two aircraft and almost never crossing into Ukrainian territory.

Russia's air failure is on them. Their poor training has resulted in their air arm only being a minor player. Ukrainian anti-air assets have kept the Russian air force at bay too, but the Russians should have had their forces trained to neutralize enemy anti-air assets early like NATO does.

Ironically on average the female body is more capable of handling the g stresses than the male body. Something they discovered when they started certifying women for combat roles.

It's not gender so much as height that factors into g tolerance. The average female is shorter than the average male, so that probably explains any discrepancy. This study found no significant difference in g tolerance between men and women: