Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think from the evidence I've seen, sanctions are working to an extent but they are by no means watertight and I don't think they ever will be.
There are too many Western companies either complicit or turning a blind eye and others who haven't put enough effort in to manage their distribution and ensure that, for example, dual use components aren't ending up in Russia.

Then you have the likes of the Maldives.
From 2013 to 2018 they had a modest export trade to Russia, mainly consisting of fish, pens, printed matter and clothing.
Then in 2019-2021 they managed to sell Russia a few "integrated circuits" ( I wasn't aware the Maldives had an electronics industry other than one or two phone repair shops perhaps?)
So, it was even stranger to discover that during 2022 the Maldives exported to Russia approx. 400k U.S. semiconductors worth nearly $54M.
The customs data is out there for companies to scrutinise and act on, but I don't see anyone doing anything about it.

As we all know, the key Western militaries (primarily US, FR, UK but not only) would come at this a different way, with air dominance. Full air dominance would give two options for a frontal attack (as opposed to going around the back with amphibs):

1) Take out all artillery, choppers, fixed wing, missile systems, within 50-100 miles or much more.

2)a. Either then pick out the minefields 100m at a time, one lane at a time, one rocket or flail at a time, with only limited localised short lifespan opposition, then pour through; or
2)b. Go over the top with heliborne assault outside MANPADS range (and larger SAMs already out) to behind the fortified belt, then backfill towards 2a.

A helicopter air mobile assault would be a temporary hold on the territory on the other side, but air lifting heavy equipment and the supplies to keep them moving would be difficult.

I think an amphibious operation would be risky. Amphibious operations against a continental land mass has more risk than an island which can be isolated more easily and while the US does train for amphibious operations, it hasn't actually conducted a landing that could be opposed since 1950.

Establishing air supremacy would help a lot, but it would not be a smooth operation like the Gulf War.

And as we know, neither of these options are available to Ukraine, nor is the enabler of full air dominance. So Ukraine is having to do this the very hard way. Which is precisely why Russia laid all these mines and built the trench/etc systems - the Russians are no fools and have themselves thought this through.

Our job here is to keep the strategic resolve in the West. Which means inserting spinal reinforcement into our politicians at all opportunities, and making sure our fellow voters understand the implications of their votes. Fortunately the Fance, Italy, and German electoral cycles are done with for the next 3-4 years. And in the UK there is very solid cross party consensus which is relevant as there will be an election in 12-24 mnths, but UKR will not be a direct issue. However USA is a different issue, and that is the 18-month gate that Putin is playing for and hoping to get.

From what my partner was reading about leaks from inside Russia, Putin is nervous now that Trump got indicted on charges of trying to overthrow the government. Additionally a lot of Russian news commentators are bewildered why Trump didn't throw all his opposition into prison when he was president. They don't really grok how rule of law works.

The US election next year is probably going to be pretty weird, but I think chances are that the US will continue to back Ukraine is good. It's still an unneede distraction when the world needs to stay focused on the goal.

Regarding mines: major disagreement with you here. Take the DMZ between South Korea and North. It is a solid 2.5km of mines with both sides mining flat lands suitable for equipment to a much greater depth. That's 160 x 2.5 miles. The USA designed the minefields.

You're right, that one slipped my mind. But the DMZ minefield has done its job. No military force has tried to cross that border in 70 years.

Egypt had done the same during campaigns on the Sinai. Russia paid attention and while Iraq did a terrible job laying minefields the Russia ones are done properly. Have you seen the videos of the russians laying mines? Truck drives across field, 2 guys in back drop mines every 5 feet in two rows, turn around, repeat, turn around and repeat.

Anyhow, it is clear that russia/USSR did anticipate needing millions of anti-tank mines because they had them in stock. If someone has millions of weapons in stock it should be at least a consideration.

Taken altogether we have this: the USA has designed and implemented minefields of over 300 sq miles in depths up to 5km deep. Minefields historically were quite effective in use by Egypt but could have been more so if laid more densely. Russia had millions of mines. We saw them laying the minefields.

Mick Ryan has it right in a recent substack, the west needs a new solution for minefields. Lastly and saying again...the generals in charge of the south were not idiots. I continue to be surprised by Ukraine attacking the best defense, especially without isolating the ammo supplies. I mean now we see some effort at that- deep strikes into ammo reserves in Crimea, bridge attacks, etc. Clearly up to now russia ammo reserves continue to be sufficient to be deadly. It doesn't help anyone to underestimate the enemy much as Trent telenko does- according to him russian logistics would have been over by now and russia would not have any ammo. I should have added that many of the earliest storm shadow strikes were against command positions, not ammo.

Command positions make sense. Ukraine wanted to thin out the leadership. They know that Russia' has no NCO corps and their military actively discourages anyone taking initiative. So if the officers are gone, the mobiks will just sit there for the most part.

When Ukraine started pushing in the south was when Russia started moving up more supply to be at hand for the defense. That was the time to hit the ammo depots because they were full at that point. The Ukrainians probably had good scouting on locations and supply levels at every ammunition depot in the theater. They have waited until the depots were full before hitting them. That inflicts the most damage.

There are many complaints coming from the frontlines all over Ukraine that Russian troops aren't getting ammunition, they aren't getting food, and they aren't getting paid. It sounds to me like Russian transport logistics are having a lot of trouble.

Armies do sometimes collapse, but that's an unpredictable event. Sometimes an army will hold together way past the point most people would have predicted an end, and other armies fell apart quickly.

Russia is behaving like an army that does have a lot of problems. So far they have held it together, but things back home are getting wobbly and their supply system is a mess.

Regarding mines: major disagreement with you here. Take the DMZ between South Korea and North. It is a solid 2.5km of mines with both sides mining flat lands suitable for equipment to a much greater depth. That's 160 x 2.5 miles. The USA designed the minefields.

Egypt had done the same during campaigns on the Sinai. Russia paid attention and while Iraq did a terrible job laying minefields the Russia ones are done properly. Have you seen the videos of the russians laying mines? Truck drives across field, 2 guys in back drop mines every 5 feet in two rows, turn around, repeat, turn around and repeat.

Anyhow, it is clear that russia/USSR did anticipate needing millions of anti-tank mines because they had them in stock. If someone has millions of weapons in stock it should be at least a consideration.

Taken altogether we have this: the USA has designed and implemented minefields of over 300 sq miles in depths up to 5km deep. Minefields historically were quite effective in use by Egypt but could have been more so if laid more densely. Russia had millions of mines. We saw them laying the minefields.

Mick Ryan has it right in a recent substack, the west needs a new solution for minefields. Lastly and saying again...the generals in charge of the south were not idiots. I continue to be surprised by Ukraine attacking the best defense, especially without isolating the ammo supplies. I mean now we see some effort at that- deep strikes into ammo reserves in Crimea, bridge attacks, etc. Clearly up to now russia ammo reserves continue to be sufficient to be deadly. It doesn't help anyone to underestimate the enemy much as Trent telenko does- according to him russian logistics would have been over by now and russia would not have any ammo. I should have added that many of the earliest storm shadow strikes were against command positions, not ammo.
If the Russians mined the entire front lines how do they attack through their own mine fields and if, as I suspect there are gaps in the mine fields for them to attack wouldn't there be satellite video of them laying mines and I assume review of that would show any areas with less or no mines.

Regarding minefields, would not be surprised to see Ukraine ultimately adapt some effective countermeasures here. They are innovating rapidly with airborne drones, so:

Imagine a couple dozen old SUVs/trucks modified with hardware and AI, turned into land drones that can run at the front of a rapid charge of infantry fighting vehicles and tanks. Those drones would probably cost <$10k (USD) each, so even if most were lost setting off and clearing mines in a counteroffensive strike, the cost would be minimal.

The potential supply of used vehicles is enormous and scaling to many thousands should be relatively easy for the mechanically savvy Ukrainians.

Regarding minefields, would not be surprised to see Ukraine ultimately adapt some effective countermeasures here. They are innovating rapidly with airborne drones, so:

Imagine a couple dozen old SUVs/trucks modified with hardware and AI, turned into land drones that can run at the front of a rapid charge of infantry fighting vehicles and tanks. Those drones would probably cost <$10k (USD) each, so even if most were lost setting off and clearing mines in a counteroffensive strike, the cost would be minimal.

Supply of used vehicles is enormous and scaling to many thousands should be relatively easy.
Gotta do something useful with those EOL ICE clunkers. Blowing them up clearing minefields seems like a great use.

Gotta do something useful with those EOL ICE clunkers. Blowing them up clearing minefields seems like a great use.
Western governments could offer cash for those still running clunkers with market value <~$5k, then send boatloads of them on the cheap in their defense procurement packages for Ukrainian aid. Domestic climate change mitigation program and Ukrainian international support for the win.

The potential supply of used vehicles is enormous and scaling to many thousands should be relatively easy for the mechanically savvy Ukrainians.

The problem is the drone would likely blow up within the first 10m of the minefield leaving 990 m to go. Then there will be a wreck that needs to be cleared before the next drone is sent into the same place. If the drone vehicles evaporated when they hit a mine this would work, but they turn into piles of twisted junk that will block the next vehicle in line.

The only novel suggestion I've seen here for a mine clearing device that might work is thermobaric weapons. Unfortunately I don't think the west has any large enough that Ukraine can use. The US has a number in use, called FAE (Fuel Air Explosives). Most of the US inventory are air dropped weapons. The Marines have a rocket for the Mk 193 rocket launcher (looks like a WW II bazooka) that is a thermobaric weapon, but it's a small hand launched weapon. According to Wikipedia the Ukrainians have some of these.

There is also the AGM-114 Hellfire missile which is a thermobaric anti-tank missile often fired from drones. It can be launched from the ground and again has been given to the Ukrainians, but I think the warhead is too small for taking out many mines. The bad news is these are dumb bombs that would require the dropping aircraft to fly over the minefield to drop the weapon.
BLU-96 Fuel/Air Explosive (FAE) - Dumb Bombs

I have no idea what the US inventory of these are. Probably pretty small.

The US does have the BLU-95 (500 lb) and BLU-96 (2000 lb). I haven't found much information on them, but they have been tested successfully against minefields at China Lake Naval Weapons Center.

The Ukrainians developed their own thermobaric grenade. It's blast radius is 13 sq m.

If the BLU bombs could be adapted to use the strap on smart bomb kits Ukrainian aircraft might be able to deliver them to the minefields. Trying to fly over the minefields to drop dumb bombs would likely be suicide.

The problem is the drone would likely blow up within the first 10m of the minefield leaving 990 m to go. Then there will be a wreck that needs to be cleared before the next drone is sent into the same place. If the drone vehicles evaporated when they hit a mine this would work, but they turn into piles of twisted junk that will block the next vehicle in line…
Not sure that high density of mine progression resistance suggested here is typical and/or that common across the entirety of the front lines, but should not be an issue. The sacrificed low cost drone would mark out a spot for a subsequent drone and rapidly route a course around it. A run of drones across that nightmare scenario km long field could probably map out the course in under 20 min. If you lost 100 drones there, but found a 1 km long path through at $5k per drone, that would be worthwhile.

Do this quickly once or twice or delayed across multiple axes and the enemy doesn’t have a clear idea which pathway you intend to use.

Reactions: navguy12
The problem UAF are running into is that the dense forested areas are full of troops with anti tank guns and spotters for the drones. The mine fields are concentrating armor in narrow corridors which are perfect spots to target vehicles, moving slow, they can't run, terrible place to be in armor. So they are going in on foot, slowly, they clear ground broadly, not a narrow point of breakthrough but a wide salient so that armor has room to maneuver. You can see this in the axis towards Brydansk where it is a deep bowl of a salient. Another example is the broad push south of Bahkmut. Slow, broad advance.

Russia has been unable to exploit any of the artillery prep they did in the Kremenia - Svatove line. Troops pushed in a couple of km and then stopped, Ukraine is mopping them up and may end up pushing them back.

Not sure that high density of mine progression resistance suggested here is typical and/or that common across the entirety of the front lines, but should not be an issue. The sacrificed low cost drone would mark out a spot for a subsequent drone and rapidly route a course around it. A run of drones across that nightmare scenario km long field could probably map out the course in under 20 min. If you lost 100 drones there, but found a 1 km long path through at $5k per drone, that would be worthwhile.

Do this quickly once or twice or delayed across multiple axes and the enemy doesn’t have a clear idea which pathway you intend to use.
Wouldn't a light car tripping a mine blow it up into the air into a slightly different place and possibly touch off a different mine? How far apart are these mines? Why not shoot barrels full of water to roll over the field or something heavy to set off mines. Hell strip the SUVs down to just the drive train with barrels of water or somehing to give them wait on them so when they blow there really won't be much wreckage to block anything. I'm sure the Ukrainians will come up with something that will work. They are great at innovation.

Yeah, Ruble crumble not showing signs of deceleration:

IMG_4492.jpeg

Russians are being Tricked into Setting Fire to Enlistment Offices

Twelve military enlistment offices across Russia have been set on fire, with reports suggesting Russians are being duped into carrying out the acts of arson by unknown persons.
This is wild! It highlights a weakness in the Russian system of keeping citizens uninformed and apathetic.

In other news, the Russian Ruble continues to tumble:

Russian Ruble Jitters and a Potential "Free Fall"

Given the limited market for Rubles, [Dr. Volodymyr] Lugovskyy says that the Ruble predominantly "serves some purpose in international trade, but in general, the exchange rate is very artificial. Not being able to maintain even that is a sign of extreme problems and weakness."
So, things might not be too bad despite the Ruble jitters?
Not so fast – a confluence of geopolitical matters unfavorable to Russia and its war in Ukraine, says Lugovskyy, assures that the Ruble “will keep falling.”
The question is how fast. “If traders start believing the RMoF [Russian Ministry of Finance] stops supporting it, it will fall very fast---very fast,” he says, adding “the exchange rate and Ruble might be then in free fall.”

I remember posting an article that predicted this at the beginning of the year and getting grief for it. I think I said "we shall see".

The problem is the drone would likely blow up within the first 10m of the minefield leaving 990 m to go. Then there will be a wreck that needs to be cleared before the next drone is sent into the same place. If the drone vehicles evaporated when they hit a mine this would work, but they turn into piles of twisted junk that will block the next vehicle in line.
Hrm... the mines require some amount of pressure right? Or are they also looking for something metallic (via some sort of electromagnetic sensing)?

If it's just pressure, imagine an oversized RC car with a roller pushed in front by 10 feet or so (whatever the "safe" distance is that you would expect to be able to reverse the vehicle out of the minefield), and instead of a big metal roller with violent chains, something like wooden barrel full of water, when it blows up, the water just goes everywhere (and probably helps absorb some of the explosive force), the wood gets shattered and thrown (but only thing out there is RC vehicles), and as long as the RC vehicles and barrels can drive over shattered wood chunks without problems, you just reverse the RC de-miner and swap in a new barrel... the actual RC vehicle could be whatever works (old tracked vehicle repurposed, exported "clunkers for ukraine" ICE vehicles, whatever), with RC hardware bodged on.

Alternatively, the barrel is just there to apply pressure, not contain the water itself, and suspended above it is an open platform you can toss a waterbed on or something similar full of water.

Hrm... the mines require some amount of pressure right? Or are they also looking for something metallic (via some sort of electromagnetic sensing)?
I have seen both suggested.

The Russians may mix anti-personnel mines in with the tank mines, because if the tank mines are hard to trigger people can easily move them.

If drones can detect and destroy anti-personnel mines then that may make it safe enough for troops to clear the tank mines near the tree lines...

I also thought that 44 gallon drums (standard oil barrel) full of wet sand might be the right combination of metal and weight, some means of propelling these drums ahead of a vehicle might do the trick or perhaps a drone/helicopter with sufficient power could tow them from a safe height/distance. But then Ukraine would need to ability the protect the aerial vehicle.

However, the Ukrainians already have a solution, and unlike us they have the resources and the opportunities to test it.

Last edited: