Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

my impression is that Putin hasn't ever been forced into doing anything he didn't want to...
Not recently but he was forced to be a Saint Petersburg taxi driver for a short time after the USSR fail and before he entered Saint Petersburg politics.

Im my opinion nobody knows what he might do if he is forced to acknowledge failure in Ukraine. Nobody knows what people close to him now might do. We are entering uncharted territory.

There appears to be internal sabotage in an increasing number of situations from railroads to Russian military infrastructure plus at least passive resistance from some conscripts. These events are closely analogous to events leading to the USSR breakup. Putin cannot be ignorant of some of these situations, if not all of them. Even if he wanted to be ignorant it would be hard since social media is constantly showing new evidence. There is even toying with Kaliningrad wanting out, maybe fake, but all the more infuriating for him.

Hence, I really think nobody has any idea what he might do. I try hard to avoid a bias in favor of my hopes.
OTOH, my Russian colleagues are now outspoken. Until the Ukraine invasion they were universally models of reticence. Frankly, during a decade working with Russian companies I never heard open criticism of anything official. Insinuations, yes, but only after considerable vodka sessions. Even then, quite circumspect.

Now these people are overt in social media, and even give provocative TV interviews. These events must be very worrisome to Putin. When combined with dearth of IT professionals, emigration of the professional class, desertion of even Oligarchs whose wealth derived almost totally from Gorbachev-Yeltsin-Putin State looting, Putin absolutely knows his 'grand bargain' of 2004 has totally collapsed.

Almost every vestige of Russian foreign exchange is tied back to Gazprom, Rosneft (Gerhard Schröder-Chairman), Lukoil, Novatek and Transneft. These companies are all subject to various sanctions, but also have major ties to BP, Exxon Mobil and others. Very few people focus on just how much these sanctions discomfit Putin directly. When recently four senior executives had 'murder-suicide' incidents of Gasprom and Novatek people...

The preceding paragraph is only to point out that Putin right now must be terrified. Much of the work of his reign has been devoted to cultivate people like Schröder, Rex Tillerson, and other oil and gas leaders while also cultivating politicians like Orban, Xi, Trump, Erdogan, Le Pen (both father and daughter), and others.
Now only this week Macron won in France and Golob in Slovenia. He did hold on to Hungary where Orban had had more time to dismantle democracy.

When Putin has lost Trump, Le Pen and Jansa recently he definitely is feeling a chill. Without much doubt even the dependable lackey Schröder will be gone soon. None of these are crucial, but they do add up.

Now it seems Finland and Sweden may join Nato. Ukraine is actually fighting when they'd rolled over so nicely in 2014.

Put all those things together and Putin is definably so terrified that he looks physically sick in public appearances.

Then General Lloyd Austin said: “We want to see Russia weakened to the degree that it can’t do the kinds of things that it has done in invading Ukraine” .

With all of this I think Putin will not last for very much longer. Frankly I would not presume to imagine what comes next. He is enough of a realist to know there is 'no way out' for him. Will he care that Russia can survive without even more damage? Nobody really knows. We will find out soon, in my opinion.

Sending Austin was an powerful move on Biden's part. That's the pentagon/USA defense establishment becoming directly involved. Supposedly the switchblade drone maker has permission to sell directly into ukraine without needing to go through the US Dept of Defense. That's...interesting. What will be really interesting in a high level and significant commitment to training the Ukrainian armed forces to use NATO caliber equipment. At this moment 200 f-16s in ukraine would be a complete game changer. It would require 5000 trained people or something thereabouts.

The most recent explosions events in Russia (factories on fire, etc) mean something, I'd love to see the FSBs thoughts on these. It would be a great time to have a defector.

Talking bout false flag operations:

That's the State Security office in Tiraspol, the "capital" of the Transnistria "statelet". Third picture shows a spent RPG-27 ATG. The only operators of it are the Russians and Jordan though 🤡

They seem incapable to even do a false flag op right. But it may not matter, this is for internal consumption, maybe to justify opening a new front against Odessa. We'll see more soon, but this may drag Moldova into the war too. And that becomes extremely dangerous as Bucharest would get involved in any attack on Moldova (as they did more or less covertly last time in 1992). And Romania is a NATO country...

If this war ends the right way, I have a feeling that the "Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic" will not survive the end of it; it is a dagger pointed both to the backs of Ukraine and Moldova...

Last edited:

That's the State Security office in Tiraspol, the "capital" of the Transnistria "statelet". Third picture shows a spent RPG-27 ATG. The only operators of it are the Russians and Jordan though 🤡

They seem incapable to even do a false flag op right. But it may not matter, this is for internal consumption, maybe to justify opening a new front against Odessa. We'll see more soon, but this may drag Moldova into the war too. And that becomes extremely dangerous as Bucharest would get involved in any attack on Moldova (as they did more or less covertly last time in 1992). And Romania is a NATO country...

If this war ends the right way, I have a feeling that the "Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic" will not survive the end of it; it is a dagger pointed both to the backs of Ukraine and Moldova...
I REALLY wanted to dislike this post, but that's about the content. It is not as though Moldova was not expecting this. Why do it for the pro-Russian separatist part?

I REALLY wanted to dislike this post, but that's about the content. It is not as though Moldova was not expecting this. Why do it for the pro-Russian separatist part?
Not following what you meant, can you clarify? My take on the news is that Russians want to make it look like Ukrainian SOF are trying to destabilize PMR so Russians can recruit more cannon fodder there.

The info that I can find is not clear on the number of troops in Transnistria but allegedly (going by JonimiW's posts) there are 2 BTGs worth of Russian troops plus the local PMR militia. 2,000 to 5,000 troops opening a second front against Odessa will be enough to force Ukraine to keep troops facing them. I'm not seeing clearly how Russians would exploit that though: they can't really advance from Kherson and no chance in hell for an amphibious assault on Odessa (even if they'd have enough marines, that's going into the teeth of the Neptune battery that sunk Moskva). But logic never stopped Russians from doing stupid stuff before in this war...

@jbcarioca Please share what do you disagree with. TIA

Not following what you meant, can you clarify? My take on the news is that Russians want to make it look like Ukrainian SOF are trying to destabilize PMR so Russians can recruit more cannon fodder there.

The info that I can find is not clear on the number of troops in Transnistria but allegedly (going by JonimiW's posts) there are 2 BTGs worth of Russian troops plus the local PMR militia. 2,000 to 5,000 troops opening a second front against Odessa will be enough to force Ukraine to keep troops facing them. I'm not seeing clearly how Russians would exploit that though: they can't really advance from Kherson and no chance in hell for an amphibious assault on Odessa (even if they'd have enough marines, that's going into the teeth of the Neptune battery that sunk Moskva). But logic never stopped Russians from doing stupid stuff before in this war...

I disagree with Russias actions, not with the post. I should have made my point clear. This worries me on several levels. Odesa is very well defended including that vast underground (seeing just a bit as a tourist gives me the idea that most of the Odesa population could fit in there. Further they're better defended than have been others cities. If the Russians really attack it will probably be with a vast array of long range artillery and missiles. IT would need to be Russia suddenly going all in with their best troops and equipment, assuming they have such resources. However this develops it will be more blood.

Anyway, Russia seems bent on threatening Finland hoping that will deter them from joining NATO. I strongly think that will have the opposite effect.

I cannot help but to feel that the war must feel very frustrating for the Russian side. They should be winning but they are not. Things just keep going wrong and the counter attacks are so clever and effective. It’s like they are up against a more intelligent opponent. Which I assume is the case, Ukraine gets feed very good intelligence from US, from inside Russia. Also their generals are intelligent, understands the game well and gets lots of suggestions from generals in other countries. Meanwhile Russia has a lot of weakness from authoritarian command structures with lack of improvisition and lack of following orders.

It’s not too unlike how I imagine a Super AGI would look the war against humanity look like, lots of things going wrong and eventually the AGI has won. Or not too unlike how chess looks like when a much more intelligent player is owning his opponents:
(skip first 30s)
He basically just plays passive(hippo opening), clogs the position, takes some trades even though he is down to generate structural weakness and then sees the opponent implode. Even pretty high ranked opponents. Maybe not too unlike how Ukraine is fighting the war against Russia.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
I read that the administration was debating who to send. Kamala Harris was on the short list. A lot of western countries are sending people, sometimes heads of state to show the Russians the west is serious about supporting Ukraine.
Send warheads not figureheads. Seems to me that the US should limit their outward support while maximizing arms supplies. Don't give Putin something obvious to point to as proof the US is being more aggressive.

Austin showing up means something. It's a power move of some sort and I think you saw it in the subsequent announcement: The US seeks to significantly degrade Russia's military. There's not a few warheads behind that statement. There is power. This is a message not just to the Russian military (which has been woeful) and to Putin but to Finland and Sweden and other east european countries.

Still...it means more than that. He didn't have to be there with staff to say that. He had to be there with staff to do something, cabinet level agreements related to security, training, etc.

Biden's team has really done wonders so far, the only snafu so far would have been the Polish Mig deal.

Austin showing up means something. It's a power move of some sort and I think you saw it in the subsequent announcement: The US seeks to significantly degrade Russia's military. There's not a few warheads behind that statement. There is power. This is a message not just to the Russian military (which has been woeful) and to Putin but to Finland and Sweden and other east european countries.

Still...it means more than that. He didn't have to be there with staff to say that. He had to be there with staff to do something, cabinet level agreements related to security, training, etc.
I had the same thought that him being there likely means there is something else going behind the scenes in terms of coordination with US DoD.
Biden's team has really done wonders so far, the only snafu so far would have been the Polish Mig deal.
On that subject, I was wondering how the US would be able get planes into Ukraine without actually flying them in. With Pentagon spokesman Kirby's walking back on planes being delivered last Wednesday, emphasizing parts, it has me thinking perhaps the US is instead breaking them down and delivering them in as "parts". That solves a lot of issues about possible red lines, the risk of one getting shot down, and makes secretly delivering them much easier.
"I was in error in saying that, in past tense, they have been given whole aircraft. I regret the error," Kirby said on Wednesday.

"That said, the Ukrainians have received -- through United States' coordination and provision -- enough spare parts and additional equipment such that they have been able to put in operation more fixed-wing aircraft in their fleet than they had even two to three weeks ago."
UPDATE 1 Ukraine's military boosts aircraft thanks to spare parts, Pentagon says

The Russian government is becoming a three-ring circus. Can't make this stuff up

Sheer incompetence...🤡.

Inspector Clouseau is working for FSB these days
1650942421627.png

The Russians in Transmistria are "peace keepers" and are not equipped for offensive operations. When an army goes on the offensive they start consuming supplies at a staggering rate compared to just sitting there. Before forces can go on the offensive, they need to build up a cache of supplies. The forces in Transmistria are cut off from Russia and are not able to get supplied. If they did go on the offensive they would burn through what they have in a couple of days.

The Ukrainians need to keep forces in Odesa, but they have been doing that all along. It's to prevent amphibious operations as well as land attacks. Russia is unable to break out of Kherson, which is a long ways from Odesa. They have made something like 15 attempts to capture one suburb of Kerson and have been repelled each time.

Russia's forces in the south are also short on supply. They have shifted at least some of their supply vehicles to the Donbas leaving a shortage in the south.

Essentially the Russians in the south are stalled and not going to advance anywhere. Putin may have given them orders to take Odesa and Moldova, but he might as well give them orders to occupy New York City. It's about as likely at this point. The Russians are a depleted force trying ambitious objectives with a force that may have been able to take those objectives with the original force, but now they are trying to do it from a huge deficit.

Ukraine is getting a steady supply of ever more sophisticated weapons while the Russians are degrading in their capabilities. There are signs that they are running out of guided missiles, they have manpower shortages, they are low on trucks and there are signs they are using civilian trucks now (which are not designed for battlefield use and it's denying the Russian economy of trucks), and the sabotage attacks are going to disrupt supply.

I am convinced this is a false flag, but an argument could be made that the Ukrainians were using RPGs captured in Ukraine. The Russians doing the false flag used Russian weapons because they can't get supplies of captured Ukrainian equipment they are cut off. If I was a Russian peace keeper in Moldova today, I would not be feeling too comfortable. There is a lot of hostile territory between them and friendly troops. They are cut off and isolated.

According to Wikipedia there are now about:

"As a result of reduction in the strength of the Operational Group (commander General-Major Boris Sergeyev) the remaining strength as of 2006 is about 1,000 – 1,500 troops, and comprises:
  • 82nd and 113th Separate Peacekeeping Motor-Rifle battalions
  • Independent security and support battalion
  • A helicopter detachment
  • Several small administrative detachments

The operational group was as of June 2019 commanded by Colonel Dmitry Zelenkov of Russia and numbered 1,500 troops. It serves alongside the Joint Control Commission."

Russian military presence in Transnistria - Wikipedia

Very little offensive capability. Let's hope the Russians are stupid enough to order those guys into action. They will be cut to shreds by the Ukrainians.

USD lunges up to 75.35 rubles...https://www.google.com/finance/quote/USD-RUB?window=5D

So? It's well known the Russians have been working hard to manipulate the ruble since the beginning of the war. Against most of the rest of the world's currencies the USD is stronger than it has been in many years.

The Russian government is becoming a three-ring circus. Can't make this stuff up

Sheer incompetence...🤡.

Inspector Clouseau is working for FSB these days
View attachment 797522

Oi. Send incompetent idiots to frame someone...

According to Wikipedia there are now about:

"As a result of reduction in the strength of the Operational Group (commander General-Major Boris Sergeyev) the remaining strength as of 2006 is about 1,000 – 1,500 troops, and comprises:
  • 82nd and 113th Separate Peacekeeping Motor-Rifle battalions
  • Independent security and support battalion
  • A helicopter detachment
  • Several small administrative detachments

The operational group was as of June 2019 commanded by Colonel Dmitry Zelenkov of Russia and numbered 1,500 troops. It serves alongside the Joint Control Commission."

Russian military presence in Transnistria - Wikipedia

Very little offensive capability. Let's hope the Russians are stupid enough to order those guys into action. They will be cut to shreds by the Ukrainians.
Thanks, but digging further from your link, it seems that the PMR inherited most of the 14th Guards Army equipment, which can be made available to either them or to the Russians, as well as the ammo to go with it.

Transnistria - Wikipedia.

Of course the list is old, and likely they've sold most of the stuff for recycling, the part that didn't rust of course. But if they still have them that's more than 2-3 motorized infantry brigades worth of equipment. Not enough to take Odessa but plenty to make asses of themselves.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Thanks, but digging further from your link, it seems that the PMR inherited most of the 14th Guards Army equipment, which can be made available to either them or to the Russians, as well as the ammo to go with it.

Transnistria - Wikipedia.

Of course the list is old, and likely they've sold most of the stuff for recycling, the part that didn't rust of course. But if they still have them that's more than 2-3 motorized infantry brigades worth of equipment. Not enough to take Odessa but plenty to make asses of themselves.

Any ammunition inherited from the 14th Guards Army would be over 30 years old at this point. Ammunition degrades with time, especially the fuzes. It's standard in NATO armies to inspect all stored ammunition every 10 years and do repairs on anything that has degraded.

Russian artillery in Ukraine has an 18% dud rate (astronomically high) because they haven't done this and the fuzes have degraded too much. Any 14th Guards Army supplies left over will have degraded significantly at this point.

I suspect the Russians moved most of the equipment that was viable out of Moldova a long time ago. The rest was probably scrapped. Having that stuff lying around would be risking the Moldovans taking it and using against the Russians.

USD reverts to 74.25 roubles...why is the dollar in the doghouse?

It isn't. It's just low vs one currency, the ruble. Compare the charts for the USD vs other currencies. The same trend is happening with every other major currency vs the ruble.

It's because the Russians are doing everything they can to prop up the ruble.

Let's be clear, the Russian forces I'm Transnistria are occupying forces, not peacekeepers. Just like in Donbass, Crimes, South Ossetia, etc etc. It is time they were gone.

I did put peace keeper in quotes. The Moldovans have wanted the Russians out for years.

Maybe the Russians will have to abandon these places when they loose this war. They will have to scramble to consolidate their forces and reconstitute their army, especially if they are dealing with a civil war. Considering all the sabotage we've been seeing the last few days I think some kind of civil war or severe unrest might be a more realistic possibility now.

We may see a number of dictators topple as Russian support for various authoritarians around the world falls apart and Russia becomes much more concerned with its own problems.