Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Totaled my 2023 MXLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder what the tech actually did. I would think they'd design these things so that you can't accidentally trigger the airbags

It's standard to disconnect the 12v batter for a while before working on the SRS Restraint control module of any car. It's designed to work in a catastrophic event so it needs to work no matter what if there is 12v power. Stray voltage could also set off a bag.

The picture looks like he was chasing the original issue and took the center console out because the module was prob under it like the model 3, then they disassembled part of the dash because that passenger airbag is sitting on the floor unactivated. The dash is not broken, it's just disassembled. Then the frunk 12v access is open so they may have disconnected the 12v after they blew or it was disconnected but they were swapping things and needed the 12v back to check if the error clears.

Overall it's normal to replace airbags and the OP got a good deal. Some of them like the steering wheel are 5min jobs. The seat covers are the only difficult ones because the covers are tight.

Here is a video of someone pulling the driver's bag in 2mins. I want to point out his car is turned on in the video and it's dangerous to do with power on because they can go off and seriously injure people.

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
It's standard to disconnect the 12v batter for a while before working on the SRS Restraint control module of any car. It's designed to work in a catastrophic event so it needs to work no matter what if there is 12v power. Stray voltage could also set off a bag.
It’s standard to do that, but I’ve never heard of being able to accidentally trigger airbags with diagnostic software in any other car. Most companies don’t want the liability of having to rely on their 18 year old techs to remember such a step to prevent literal explosives from going off.

Notably you can’t do any diagnostics or reprogramming of the airbag module itself if 12v is actually disconnected.

It’s standard to do that, but I’ve never heard of being able to accidentally trigger airbags with diagnostic software in any other car. Most companies don’t want the liability of having to rely on their 18 year old techs to remember such a step to prevent literal explosives from going off.

Notably you can’t do any diagnostics or reprogramming of the airbag module itself if 12v is actually disconnected.

If you flip the airbag module over the airbags go off as a roll over. If you use an impact on the module bolts they can go off as a collision. No clue why it happens just thinking about it and googling. You would think service mode locks this though.

Maybe the car exists service mode when you disconnect and reconnect the 12v. I might test that later.

If Tesla is reading this, put Amanda in charge of North America service center customer experience ASAP. Unfortunately my SC experiences have not been anywhere near this customer centric, but it gives me hope that there are people within Tesla who want to make it better.
LOL. FWIW, I didn't tell Amanda or anyone at Tesla that I am posting this btw. But I agree, she was a bright spot in a tough situation. BTW, I am Long Island, NY.

I feel like i'm in the minority here and you got the raw end of the deal. They broke your car and then gave you less money for it than you spent. Then they replaced it with a cheaper car with less capabilities (you're thinking HW4 is better yet still no real proof of this - I have a brand new HW4 MXP and let me tell you, it sucks without USS).

They were 'ultra nice' to you because you could have sued the crap out of them and i'm sure Amanda is getting several ultra cool corporate pizza parties to celebrate her saving the company several hundred thousand dollars, lol. smh.

I feel like i'm in the minority here and you got the raw end of the deal. They broke your car and then gave you less money for it than you spent.
It's only less money if you count full value for the aftermarket mods, which service legally do not have to pay, given they have you sign off that they aren't responsible for the value of aftermarket parts. You also are forgetting depreciation, which they didn't dock for here. The fact of the matter is they gave full cost for the car including tax plus 2/3 of the aftermarket parts ($8k/$12k).

The alternative would be to fix it and pay perhaps a diminished value to the owner, but personally I would choose a new car instead as OP did.
Then they replaced it with a cheaper car with less capabilities (you're thinking HW4 is better yet still no real proof of this - I have a brand new HW4 MXP and let me tell you, it sucks without USS).

They were 'ultra nice' to you because you could have sued the crap out of them and i'm sure Amanda is getting several ultra cool corporate pizza parties to celebrate her saving the company several hundred thousand dollars, lol. smh.
How would they be liable for several hundred thousand dollars? No one was physically injured and even if the car was fully totalled that wouldn't be what they would have spent.

I feel like i'm in the minority here and you got the raw end of the deal. They broke your car and then gave you less money for it than you spent. Then they replaced it with a cheaper car with less capabilities (you're thinking HW4 is better yet still no real proof of this - I have a brand new HW4 MXP and let me tell you, it sucks without USS).

I mean fact of the matter is his new car will have better resale than the old.

Just my opinions. From years of dealing with Tesla - they aren't interested in happy client stories they are interested in hype. Based on this, they treated him this way for a reason... All companies are focused on profits and they went out of their way to protect themselves here from some sort of legal issue.

Also as a side note - this "restraint system failure" b/s has plagued all 3 of my teslas. One of the cars they've repaired this now 3 times and every time the car comes back it is in worse condition. Rattles, scratches, cracked windows (yep), .. and then several months later it returns. I guess I could lemon it. Crazy that they still have this issue even with such new cars.

Reactions: nuface and fr100
Is he going to sell the car? Doesn't seem that way so not even sure why this is being discussed. He customizes his vehicles? People that do that aren't focused on resale. I just don't see that as a win tbh.
Probably eventually like most people. Either way he’s coming out ahead like $30k and getting a better car (Plaid vs LR). There’s a lot of *sugar* to criticize Tesla for, but in this instance they seem to have gone above and beyond.

If he really wanted, it’s not *impossible* to get the USS retrofitted. Would just take some work (bumpers, sensors, wiring, and then gateway config which is the hard part, but not impossible). For the $30k savings, could do that and still come out well ahead.