Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Totaled my 2023 MXLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SNY126

Supporting Member
Aug 16, 2022
Bellmore, NY
So this is gonna be a little long but it does shed a different perspective from what I mostly read online.

Back in early November last year, I brought my 2023 MXLR (10 months old) car to the service center because of a "passenger restraint system fault, service required message" that started appearing and disappearing but I thought I'd better get checked out. Initially I was told it would take an hour, but once I got there they said, better take a loaner and come back later. I got a nice model S for the day.

Around 4 pm I get a call from Amanda, who is a "customer advocate" informing me that unfortunately the technician accidentally triggered a module that caused all 12 airbags to deploy in the car. She was incredibly polite and understanding. She offered to have the car fixed which would take a couple of weeks or at my option, they can repurchase it from me so I can replace it with a new car.

I asked to see the car first before deciding. I head to the SC the next morning and I almost broke down and cried when I saw the car. It was completely dismantled and every thing was taken apart and every airbag deployed.

To give some perspective, I waited 13 months for my car, ordered 1/1/22 and picked up 1/26/23. My car was perfect. I had full PPF, tint, caliber paint job, carbon fiber exterior trim pieces, power frunk, among other things. No dents or curb rash or anything.
So I chose to get it repurchased by Tesla. From here on, things started getting better. The SC staff helped me get all my personal items from the car as well as any accessory or upgrade that can be taken off quickly off the old car. They switched my loaner with a demo MXLR with 180 miles on it. Amanda even came down to the SC from headquarters, about an hour away to meet me.

After providing them with receipts for the aftermarket upgrades which costed me $12K, and a little back and forth, Tesla finally agreed to pay me back the original cost of my car, $132K + $8K for aftermarket upgrades. It was an incredibly nice gesture from them. They have also let me use the loaner for the past 2 months. They even tried to match me with similar cars near me but they were not the exact configuration I wanted.

Of course I placed an order for another MX (Plaid this time) which turns out a little cheaper than my original long range price. I am losing some money on the loan interest going up and I do miss my USS in the old car and the door opening wide to greet me, but I will get some sublte upgrades like HW4, 5mp cameras and such. I am still waiting for the final payouts and the new MXP but it should be here shortly.

I have to commend the staff at Tesla (specially Amanda) for their understanding and courteousness. She always responded and truly acted like my advocate. Also the SC staff were incredible. Sorry about the long post if you read that far.

It definitely could have been better if they matched the full amount of my aftermarket expenses, but I am not greedy. I am happy that it is almost behind me. Just wanted to share that it is not always bad experiences. The customer advocate, Amanda was the difference maker I think.

New Plaid X car price + aftermarket expenses should be cheaper than what you paid originally no?
Sales tax is paid twice though, right?
The $132K included the taxes and that was with 10K FSD also for the LR version at the beginning of the year and I had the price from 1/1/22. The new plaid would be about $120K with FSD and $108K without today.

Around 4 pm I get a call from Amanda, who is a "customer advocate" informing me that unfortunately the technician accidentally triggered a module that caused all 12 airbags to deploy in the car.
I'm sure the service center has video of that. Love to see it, and the look on the technician's face.

efe42fd6db9a9019c16e148cafc3c0b8.jpg

I'm sure the service center has video of that. Love to see it, and the look on the technician's face.

View attachment 1007533
LOL. At first I was so angry and I wanted to see that technician but when I calmed down I thought, we all make mistakes. I was really hoping that he was not badly reprimanded. Although his mistake was very costly, I am sure it was not intentional.

LOL. At first I was so angry and I wanted to see that technician but when I calmed down I thought, we all make mistakes. I was really hoping that he was not badly reprimanded. Although his mistake was very costly, I am sure it was not intentional.
My guess, it’s a good thing his tool box had wheels. Pretty sure he went home early and never came back. You don’t get a second chance to destroy a $132k car.

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
My guess, it’s a good thing his tool box had wheels. Pretty sure he went home early and never came back. You don’t get a second chance to destroy a $132k car.
It’s not destroyed, it’ll be fixed and likely resold. Someone will score on free PPF and other upgrades not removed by tesla or the OP.

Tesla will eat the bags, tech will learn to disconnect the 12v and power down the car before SRS work is preformed. Hopefully his face / body wasn’t near any of them when they went.

It’s not destroyed, it’ll be fixed and likely resold. Someone will score on free PPF and other upgrades not removed by tesla or the OP.

Tesla will eat the bags, tech will learn to disconnect the 12v and power down the car before SRS work is preformed. Hopefully his face / body wasn’t near any of them when they went.
So when I went to pick up my plates, I saw the car and it was all fixed up and it looked nice as I am sure all seats, door panels, front panel, steering wheel were all replaced. Of course there is no telling what sort of rattling noises or issues may be in the car. I only put 7000 miles on it in 10 months so I think it would be a good deal for someone.

Reactions: RNHurt
Congrats on the new car. You got a great outcome. Airbags are really not that big of a job so it's surprising how good of a deal you got considering it's not something significant like a battery replacement or motor. It just looks bad when you see it because the plastics all pop out and the seats rip.

The steering wheel the middle part just pops out for replacement. They don't even take off the wheel. It's a 5min job. The panels normally don't break on the curtain airbags and just unclip. The seats they just change out the covers because the airbag rips through a seam. Then they replaced the dash cover because the passenger airbag. It probably took them only a few hours after they got the airbags in stock.
That is why I originally wanted to see the car first before I decided if I wanted it back. I was worried about rattling noises, loose things, and potential problems in the future. I also didn't trust the technicians to do as good a job in installing many parts as a bunch of factory workers, each responsible for installing one part over and over. Also the car had a haze or powder all over the interior, I think from the explosive powder in the airbags. At the time I didn't even know if they will pay me original price or new price or if I am going through insurance or what. I just know that seeing the car that dismantled was too much to accept.

That is why I originally wanted to see the car first before I decided if I wanted it back. I was worried about rattling noises, loose things, and potential problems in the future. I also didn't trust the technicians to do as good a job in installing many parts as a bunch of factory workers, each responsible for installing one part over and over. Also the car had a haze or powder all over the interior, I think from the explosive powder in the airbags. At the time I didn't even know if they will pay me original price or new price or if I am going through insurance or what. I just know that seeing the car that dismantled was too much to accept.
I’m sure you took some pictures. Let’s see them.

Reactions: towndrunk
I’m sure you took some pictures. Let’s see them.
LOL. Ask and you shall receive. I have a lot more but I don't feel like scrubbing them before posting right now.

Attachments

• IMG_6043.jpg
    IMG_6043.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6044.jpg
    IMG_6044.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6046.jpg
    IMG_6046.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6050.jpg
    IMG_6050.jpg