Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anders Puck Nielsen yesterday put out a good explanation of what sort of questions a real journalist would have asked Putin. In short, Carlson asked none of them.

Some "meh" questions Putin could easily deflect with Whataboutism would be:
-how does he explain the war crimes, Bucha, abductions of Ukrainian children?
-what does he think about his arrest warrant?
-how does he explain the apartment buildings being hit by Russian missiles?

Some actual critical questions would involve regime security that would be thought provoking to the average citizen in Russia and harder to deflect:
-now that 2 years have passed, how many Russian soldiers have died?
-is Putin satisfied with the performance of his military/generals?
-why are the same soldiers mobilized 2 years ago still on the front lines?
-what does he think of the deep strikes by Ukraine into Russia?
-why did he allow the Wagner march on Moscow and allowed them to have gotten that powerful in the first place?

He doesn't say they haven't been stolen, or gifted for that matter. He only addresses selling.
If Ukrainians want it activated in an area they need, I don’t see how SpaceX could only turn off the ones being used by Russia in that same area.

But SpaceX should be able to turn off all devices in a given area. This video does a good job of explaining it.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
If Ukrainians want it activated in an area they need, I don’t see how SpaceX could only turn off the ones being used by Russia in that same area.

But SpaceX should be able to turn off all devices in a given area. This video does a good job of explaining it.

That's ridiculous. SpaceX can easily deactivate individual Starlink terminals. What do you think they do when Starlink subscribers stop paying subscription fees?

That's ridiculous. SpaceX can easily deactivate individual Starlink terminals. What do you think they do when Starlink subscribers stop paying subscription fees?
Yes I know that. I’m saying if there are two customers and both are paid in the same area on a shared battlefield, one Ukrainian and one Russian, how do you distinguish one vs the other? Monitor site traffic? Monitor military positions constantly? How do you tell them apart? How do you know you are only disabling the one used by Russia?

Reactions: cjkosh and dhrivnak
Yes I understand that. I’m saying if there are two customers and both are paid in the same area on a shared battlefield, one Ukrainian and one Russian, how do you distinguish one vs the other? Monitor site traffic? Monitor military positions constantly? How do you tell them apart?
How about asking the Ukrainian authorities which serial number Starlinks they want enabled in Ukraine?

Yes I know that. I’m saying if there are two customers and both are paid in the same area on a shared battlefield, one Ukrainian and one Russian, how do you distinguish one vs the other? Monitor site traffic? Monitor military positions constantly? How do you tell them apart? How do you know you are only disabling the one used by Russia?

If one is deployed by the US military using Starshield and one is a civilian deployment using Starlink it is quite simple.

If one is deployed by the US military using Starshield and one is a civilian deployment using Starlink it is quite simple.
Yes going forward that would work. Many were purchased/donated before the US started buying them though. If one gets stolen and used by Russia in same area, hopefully Ukraine would be quick to have it deactivated. Now sure if and how quick that happens.

Reactions: madodel
This isn't Iraq or Afghanistan. Try asking Julian Assange how crossing the US govt. worked out for him.
Not yet and hopefully won’t be. But let’s see where we are at in 20 years. The Ukraine situation is not over yet nor will it be for a long time. Iraq looked “successful” early on too with “mission accomplished”. But one big difference is that Ukraine does want the US’s help.

Tracking one person, the govt is pretty good at. Let’s hope the govt is competent at least some occasions.

If such a Starlink whitelist exists, then I agree there is no excuse for Russians to have working Starlink terminals unless the whitelist is out of date due to lost/stolen devices. But we don’t know if that’s the case, do we?

Reactions: petit_bateau
Not yet and hopefully won’t be. But let’s see where we are at in 20 years. The Ukraine situation is not over yet nor will it be for a long time. Iraq looked “successful” early on too with “mission accomplished”. But one big difference is that Ukraine does want the US’s help.

Tracking one person, the govt is pretty good at. Let’s hope the govt is competent at least some occasions.

If such a Starlink whitelist exists, then I agree there is no excuse for Russians to have working Starlink terminals unless the whitelist is out of date due to lost/stolen devices. But we don’t know if that’s the case, do we?
The Mission Accomplished banner was a bad joke even at the time. Very few were fooled by that declaration. And probably fewer have seen a Ukraine victory over Russia as a foregone conclusion. It will be interesting to see what details come out about this Starlink misuse. There are many ways Russia might have obtained them. Including from corrupt traitors within Ukraine.

I think this may cause Nato members in general to step up both direct support for Ukraine as well preparation for a conflict between a US supported Russia against nato allies.

I think it’s pretty clear to everyone that the Americans will be leaving NATO and forming some sort of alliance with Russia immediately after the election. Putin just needs to hold the line until trump and the Americans get aid and weapons to Russia. After that Ukraine will go down pretty quick and i suspect Poland will be the next target soon after. How that impacts trade between the US and the rest of the world is unclear. Companies like tesla are in for a ride.

Physically Russia can talk a big game, but they are just unable to open another front. Even without the US involved, attacking any NATO country and triggering the alliance would be a huge risk with an already spent force. If Russia could get some breathing space by getting a long cease fire in Ukraine, they could rebuild and be ready to take on another opponent, but taking on NATO with their military in its current state would be suicide.

Russia is critically short of vehicles now. The fighting vehicles they do have are largely older with green crews who have virtually no training. They are doing awful against an army that is short of everything it needs and is bogged down with little air power support. If they attacked NATO, they would be going up against an alliance that trains frequently, is equipped with generally newer kit than Ukraine, and has substantial airpower.

One big problem is by attacking NATO, NATO would be free to give any military assistance it wanted to Ukraine, including flying air missions over Ukraine to take out Russian targets there. NATO could also move troops into Ukraine if it wanted to fight Russia there.

If Russia has a decade of relative peace to rebuild, reequip, and train an army, they might be ready to take on a weakened NATO. It isn't going to happen anytime soon.

As for the presidential election, the polls are profoundly broken. I saw an interview with Larry Sabato yesterday who is one of the top poll analysts in the US and his opinion dovetailed with mine. Something has happened to turn the entire polling landscape into garbage. And polls at this point in a presidential race are often bad anyway. In 2012 the polls showed Mitt Romney stomping Obama in the election, but he lost be 4%.

As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. In elections, both special and regular the last three years, there has been a consistent shift of about 9-11 points towards Democrats compared to polls and expected results from the partisan lean of a district. This has been fairly consistent, with only a few outliers. Now that the presidential primaries have started, the trend is continuing.

So far there have been Republican caucus/primaries in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and the Virgin Islands. The Democrats have had primaries in New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada.

On the Republican side Trump is hitting within the range of the polls, though often the low end of the polling results going into the election. Biden is consistently hitting the high end of the polling numbers, or exceeding the polls.

One problem the polls have is they are only reaching Gen X and older. Millennials and Gen Z won't talk on the phone unless they have to and all the polls with decent methods are voice polls. A large number of potential voters will not answer the phone from an unrecognized number. Even with the polls we have, when people are asked how a criminal conviction of Trump would affect their vote, at least 14% of current Trump voters say they would switch to Biden or a third party if Trump is convicted of a crime.

I live with a lawyer and we pay close attention to the legal world. Chances are very close to 100% that Trump will have one criminal conviction by summer, and about 80% he will have two by mid-summer.

Add on top of that that about 40-50% of the people who will be voting in November aren't paying any attention to politics at all right now and chances are high that things will change later in the year. Unless the incumbent has done something terrible, the low information voters tend to move towards the incumbent as the election approaches. These low information voters usually know little about Trump's legal troubles. They mostly know he's been indicted, but know little more than that. There will be tons of information coming out about his crimes as the year goes on.

There is no guarantee that Trump will lose, however it's very far from a foregone conclusion. He won a fluke election in 2016. He would need an even bigger fluke to win this year.

This year will unfortunately probably be a lean year for American support for Ukraine. Biden will do what he can to slip stuff to Ukraine on the down low, but what he can do is limited without funding from Congress and that is unlikely unless the Republicans lose control of the House before the election (possible but unlikely). Next year will hopefully be better. Chances are very high the Democrats will take back the House, though they could lose the Senate. The Senate map this year is brutally tough for Democrats. There are enough Republicans in the Senate who are pro-Ukraine that funding probably would get through.

I'm frustrated that Ukraine is going to have to spend a year on defense because they won't have the supplies to go onto offense, but you have to accept conditions as they are.

The money is flowing. Hopefully Ukraine is getting a handle on needless spending and corruption.

Ukraine Mulls Contingency Plan to Keep IMF Funds Flowing If US Aid Stalls

Ukraine's government has been on an anti-corruption campaign since the beginning of this war. Zelensky ran on an anti-corruption platform and the NATO/EU support has put further pressure on them to weed out corruption. Another thing that is driving on the lower level people in the government to find corruption and eliminate it is that corruption hurts the war effort.

Physically Russia can talk a big game, but they are just unable to open another front. Even without the US involved, attacking any NATO country and triggering the alliance would be a huge risk with an already spent force. If Russia could get some breathing space by getting a long cease fire in Ukraine, they could rebuild and be ready to take on another opponent, but taking on NATO with their military in its current state would be suicide.

Russia is critically short of vehicles now. The fighting vehicles they do have are largely older with green crews who have virtually no training. They are doing awful against an army that is short of everything it needs and is bogged down with little air power support. If they attacked NATO, they would be going up against an alliance that trains frequently, is equipped with generally newer kit than Ukraine, and has substantial airpower.

One big problem is by attacking NATO, NATO would be free to give any military assistance it wanted to Ukraine, including flying air missions over Ukraine to take out Russian targets there. NATO could also move troops into Ukraine if it wanted to fight Russia there.

If Russia has a decade of relative peace to rebuild, reequip, and train an army, they might be ready to take on a weakened NATO. It isn't going to happen anytime soon.

As for the presidential election, the polls are profoundly broken. I saw an interview with Larry Sabato yesterday who is one of the top poll analysts in the US and his opinion dovetailed with mine. Something has happened to turn the entire polling landscape into garbage. And polls at this point in a presidential race are often bad anyway. In 2012 the polls showed Mitt Romney stomping Obama in the election, but he lost be 4%.

As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. In elections, both special and regular the last three years, there has been a consistent shift of about 9-11 points towards Democrats compared to polls and expected results from the partisan lean of a district. This has been fairly consistent, with only a few outliers. Now that the presidential primaries have started, the trend is continuing.

So far there have been Republican caucus/primaries in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and the Virgin Islands. The Democrats have had primaries in New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada.

On the Republican side Trump is hitting within the range of the polls, though often the low end of the polling results going into the election. Biden is consistently hitting the high end of the polling numbers, or exceeding the polls.

One problem the polls have is they are only reaching Gen X and older. Millennials and Gen Z won't talk on the phone unless they have to and all the polls with decent methods are voice polls. A large number of potential voters will not answer the phone from an unrecognized number. Even with the polls we have, when people are asked how a criminal conviction of Trump would affect their vote, at least 14% of current Trump voters say they would switch to Biden or a third party if Trump is convicted of a crime.

I live with a lawyer and we pay close attention to the legal world. Chances are very close to 100% that Trump will have one criminal conviction by summer, and about 80% he will have two by mid-summer.

Add on top of that that about 40-50% of the people who will be voting in November aren't paying any attention to politics at all right now and chances are high that things will change later in the year. Unless the incumbent has done something terrible, the low information voters tend to move towards the incumbent as the election approaches. These low information voters usually know little about Trump's legal troubles. They mostly know he's been indicted, but know little more than that. There will be tons of information coming out about his crimes as the year goes on.

There is no guarantee that Trump will lose, however it's very far from a foregone conclusion. He won a fluke election in 2016. He would need an even bigger fluke to win this year.

This year will unfortunately probably be a lean year for American support for Ukraine. Biden will do what he can to slip stuff to Ukraine on the down low, but what he can do is limited without funding from Congress and that is unlikely unless the Republicans lose control of the House before the election (possible but unlikely). Next year will hopefully be better. Chances are very high the Democrats will take back the House, though they could lose the Senate. The Senate map this year is brutally tough for Democrats. There are enough Republicans in the Senate who are pro-Ukraine that funding probably would get through.

I'm frustrated that Ukraine is going to have to spend a year on defense because they won't have the supplies to go onto offense, but you have to accept conditions as they are.

Ukraine's government has been on an anti-corruption campaign since the beginning of this war. Zelensky ran on an anti-corruption platform and the NATO/EU support has put further pressure on them to weed out corruption. Another thing that is driving on the lower level people in the government to find corruption and eliminate it is that corruption hurts the war effort.
I agree with most of those points. I'm a bit more optimistic about the $60B in aid to Ukraine squeaking through Congress this year, though. Don't ask why, lol.

I agree with most of those points. I'm a bit more optimistic about the $60B in aid to Ukraine squeaking through Congress this year, though. Don't ask why, lol.

There are some ways it might happen, but odds are that it's not going to happen. There are three open seats in the House that will be determined with special elections by June. All three were held by Republicans. Two are in very red districts so the chances they flip are low. If all three flip the House will be 217-216 Republican. If a couple more Republican seats go vacant after that the Democrats will have a majority, though I'm not sure if they could assert control and take over the House just because of the vacancies. Flip one more seat and they would have a clear control.

The chances the Democrats win Kevin McCarthy's old seat and Bill Johnson's seat in Ohio are very low though.

There is also a way around the Speaker to bring a bill to the House floor which requires a majority of House members to sign a petition to bring it to the floor for a vote. That would require some Republicans signing on to the petition and that is unlikely in the current environment.

The Democrats are working to embarrass the Republicans into voting for the border bill and the Ukraine funding bill. It could hurt the Republicans badly in the election, but it probably won't move the needle before then. The Republicans seem convinced that the public is on their side.

There is also a way around the Speaker to bring a bill to the House floor which requires a majority of House members to sign a petition to bring it to the floor for a vote. That would require some Republicans signing on to the petition and that is unlikely in the current environment.
Yes a discharge petition requires 50% + 1 to sign on to force a bill to the floor for a vote. That means 4 Republicans have to flip to get the votes needed as of now with 3 Republican vacancies. The odds of that happening are extremely slim as they'd lose any power/committee assignments in the Republican House Caucus, would probably become unelectable in their own districts and would most likely receive serious death threats to themselves and their families as well. But anything is a possibility, even if it is a very remote one. The US Congress has not been this nonfunctional since probably 1861. Sad that Ukraine is paying the price for this dysfunction.

Yes a discharge petition requires 50% + 1 to sign on to force a bill to the floor for a vote. That means 4 Republicans have to flip to get the votes needed as of now with 3 Republican vacancies. The odds of that happening are extremely slim as they'd lose any power/committee assignments in the Republican House Caucus, would probably become unelectable in their own districts and would most likely receive serious death threats to themselves and their families as well. But anything is a possibility, even if it is a very remote one. The US Congress has not been this nonfunctional since probably 1861. Sad that Ukraine is paying the price for this dysfunction.
Well, nearly half of the Senate Republicans voted to advance the bill. I know the House is a bit of a clown show, but there must be a handful of semi-reasonable Republican representatives. Right? Fingers crossed.