Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust issue with T Sportline wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any TSportline wheel owners experiencing rust leaking/spraying from the center caps?

If so is there anything to help prevent this?

It has become an annoyance to maintain and clean these as often as it happens- clearly a design flaw as this did not happen with my OEM wheels.

Here is a pic of what is happening. IMG_20191225_092024.jpg
IMG_20191225_092024.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I think it comes from the disc via the hub through the centercaps on the exterior rimms.
I seems to be a performance issue since the shape of the hub is diffrent here, thus letting water drip from the brake disc on the hub.

Question, how come it's not vissible on the factory 20" rimms? Hypothesis it's there but not visible due to the plastic cover.

Anyone else encountered this and has a permanent solution?

I have had this problem with one of my wheels too, usually after a car wash. It was bad initially like your picture but has gotten better. Curiously it only seemed to occur on my left rear wheel. It has nothing to do with lugs, I have the closed bolt lugs with covers. I spoke with a ranger about it when my 12v battery was recently replaced, said it was likely coming from the hub area since it wasn't painted. DDawson's suggestion above seems to track with this. I figure that I'll just keep wiping off my wheels when it happens until it warms up and I get the opportunity to take them off or have someone else do it for me.

I've heard/read that the Tsportline center caps are slightly smaller than OEM so maybe that's how water is getting in there and then the rust is coming out? I don't have black OEM center caps so I can't test my theory. My original wheels were the gray 21" turbines which are stored for now, and I don't think those center caps would look great on the matte black wheels.