Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rusting of the rear lift gate attachment points

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered one of the VW clips from the local dealer - part # 443823397 - $5.60 is list price - just to compare. Will post pics.
The ones on ebay are used and they want over $10...

I can confirm that VW clip is an exact duplicate. Here’s the old Tesla clip and the new VW clip

Attachments

• 893CB461-0225-44AD-8447-592A4E615EF9.jpeg
    893CB461-0225-44AD-8447-592A4E615EF9.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: JRP3
While I was at VW, I bought one of their ball studs. It’s not an exact duplicate, but it’s awfully close and matches the threads and the length of the Tesla part. The VW part is plated and not black. The VW part number is WHT004118

And a warning- my ball stud was pretty rusty and I think the aluminum threads on the hatch were suffering. There’s a non-zero chance you will strip the threads out when removing a very rusty stud. Don’t know what you could do if that happened - timesert or remove the plastic trim and put a nut on the far side? Take your time, spray some oil…

Attachments

• EC9EDA93-EECB-484D-A607-239EFFD47675.jpeg
    EC9EDA93-EECB-484D-A607-239EFFD47675.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 09AEBD63-5D9F-4B49-9024-B66149801894.jpeg
    09AEBD63-5D9F-4B49-9024-B66149801894.jpeg
    646.3 KB · Views: 95
  • BD2F4BBB-5796-4CB8-B2A1-281BF8C55185.jpeg
    BD2F4BBB-5796-4CB8-B2A1-281BF8C55185.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: JRP3 and Enig
Hahahaha LMAOO

classical Musk move

They look like "overstock" and still not corrosion prone/VA.

Tesla is charging 1/5 to 1/10 what VW or Chrysler charge for identical parts. Price is super reasonable just wished they had noted the corrosion problem and upgraded to a plated part. Note the Tesla part has threadlock pre-applied. That’s premium…

Mine looked pretty much the same when I bought it CPO, its a 2013. I think it was a Michigan car, I'm in Chicago, so definitely gets some snow and salt. Noticed it the night I brought it home. Sent the service center the attached photo and they had me bring it in that week and replaced it all so that it looks brand new. I would assume that its going to rust again though since these connections are outside of the rubber seal inside the rear lift gate.

View attachment 114134

Sorry for being so late to the party with this question, but can you please confirm that the Tesla Service Center rectified these corroded struts under warranty? I have the exact same issue on a 2016 Model S that I purchased a month ago (see photos) and yet my local Tesla Service Center has deemed this to be 'Customer Pays' issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot (671).JPG
    Screenshot (671).JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot (670).JPG
    Screenshot (670).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 69
Sorry for being so late to the party with this question, but can you please confirm that the Tesla Service Center rectified these corroded struts under warranty? I have the exact same issue on a 2016 Model S that I purchased a month ago (see photos) and yet my local Tesla Service Center has deemed this to be 'Customer Pays' issue.
For a 2016, one would expect that you only have the battery and drivetrain warranty, and so this would be customer pay. You can purchase the ball joints and clips from Tesla Service Center and take it to a 3rd party mechanic to install, to save on labor.

For a 2016, one would expect that you only have the battery and drivetrain warranty, and so this would be customer pay. You can purchase the ball joints and clips from Tesla Service Center and take it to a 3rd party mechanic to install, to save on labor.
Thanks for your contribution, Wally. Much appreciated. I need to apologize, however. I should have explained that, even though it's a 2016 model, I bought the car directly from Tesla's used inventory and so it came with a 12 month extended warranty. So, given that at least a couple of people on here appear to be saying that Tesla Service 'took care' of this issue, I'm just trying to have someone confirm that their Tesla Service Center accepted it was a fault in the car's construction/materials and duly fixed it under warranty.

I fixed it myself. My ESA had a $200 deductible and the parts were maybe $15.
Thanks for that, David. If I have to, I will also take care of the problem myself. From what I can gather, the parts are readily available and the fix is not especially difficult. That being said, if Tesla were to deem it a legitimate warranty issue, they will likely replace the entire struts on both sides, which would of course mean I'm less likely to have any other strut issues going forward.

Thanks for that, David. If I have to, I will also take care of the problem myself. From what I can gather, the parts are readily available and the fix is not especially difficult. That being said, if Tesla were to deem it a legitimate warranty issue, they will likely replace the entire struts on both sides, which would of course mean I'm less likely to have any other strut issues going forward.
Why do you think they will replace the entire struts? They sell the parts separately and the problem is just rust on the pivot and clip.

Why do I think they'll replace the entire struts? Well, I guess I could be wrong, David, but their estimate (attached) seems to suggest that the complete replacement of both struts is what they have in mind. Naturally, I'm not going to pay that kind of money when, apparently, I can fix the corrosion problem myself much more cheaply. On the other hand, if Tesla wants to do it that way - i.e. under warranty - then knock yourselves out, boys!

Attachments

• Screenshot (685).png
    Screenshot (685).png
    272.9 KB · Views: 77
Turns out that the so-called 'extended' warranty that Tesla applied to my CPO car in order to help sell it to me was not quite what it seemed. In fact, arguably, the term 'extended' is misleading in this context, because the original warranty hasn't truly been extended. (Corrosion issues are NOT covered by this warranty.) No doubt this condition is tucked away in the small print somewhere, but for me it's yet another disappointment I've had since buying this car. Oh well, I guess I'm lucky that, just for once with a Tesla, it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to fix it myself...