Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD vs AWD driving feel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you said "swapped" do you mean that you only had to pay the difference of price or sold it and bought a new one?

Just curious about Taxes, because in San Francisco there is a 9.5% sales taxes. So did you paid only the tax on the difference or the full price?

Sold the RWD to Vroom but told them I was keeping the 19's ... so they dropped their offer price but less than the $1500 to upgrade to sport rims (which was not allowed in those days for stealth performance)

So, does the dual motor 3 demonstrate stronger regen than the RWD 3? I know the dual motor Model Ses regen stronger than the RWD Ses, and I could have sworn the P3D I test drove had stronger regen than the LR3 RWD. Indeed, the stronger regen would be an attraction to a dual motor car.

Can't seem to find that isn't too much $$- and no taxes back. Also afraid of getting year 1 and having any issues with it. Would like to find a newer one- but so far no luck

Agreed. Granted I've only been looking at used LR RWD's being sold by Tesla, but all the ones I've seen are way too close to the existing price of a LR AWD, after factoring in the $2K delivery fee (unless you're lucky enough to have one pop up locally), and the loss of the federal tax incentive.

regen = regenerative braking

On my test drive of both the SR+ and the AWD, the regen felt about the same. Both were set to standard, and both were about 70-80% charged. Obviously I have no idea if this means both cars are undergoing the same amount of regen, but it didn't feel subjectively different between the single and dual motor.

Agree with this. I have a LR RWD and driving normal interstate speeds will eat up your 320 mile range very fast. People that say you can drive anywhere with a SR+, are either slow drivers or have a different definition of anywhere than I do.
I second that. I have a 100 mile commute. Sometimes I do 140 miles if I have to visit another facility. Both places are uphill. I use way more than 140 miles of range due to elevation; usually I’m guessing 170 miles of range used. With my LR RWD I can charge to 70% and still make it home. I would be cutting it close if I had the standard range and charge to 70%.

Agreed. Granted I've only been looking at used LR RWD's being sold by Tesla, but all the ones I've seen are way too close to the existing price of a LR AWD, after factoring in the $2K delivery fee (unless you're lucky enough to have one pop up locally), and the loss of the federal tax incentive.

Fly-and-drive is a great way to bond with a new vehicle. With a referral code for 1,000 free supercharger miles, and some modest food & lodging expenses, you could get home much cheaper than $2k delivery fee.

It’s still a very sought after configuration. I love Tesla...but don’t understand not selling it.
Me too ! Was originally planned for Australia - even visible in source code - but strangely pulled - can only be for maximum profit reasons - but they could have still made good money selling it for sure. It has forced a lot of people down into SR+ whereas over here , people were prepared to pay a lot per kwh for the extra 17.5 approx kwh battery. Lots of discussion over here about it - most slipped down and spent less , instead of going up to the LR AWD and performance - so those that downgraded , spent less at Tesla.

Me too ! Was originally planned for Australia - even visible in source code - but strangely pulled - can only be for maximum profit reasons - but they could have still made good money selling it for sure. It has forced a lot of people down into SR+ whereas over here , people were prepared to pay a lot per kwh for the extra 17.5 approx kwh battery. Lots of discussion over here about it - most slipped down and spent less , instead of going up to the LR AWD and performance - so those that downgraded , spent less at Tesla.
I get the margin argument but just raise the price on it. People will pay for it.

Thanks all! I rented both but weeks apart but for some reason I felt like the AWD was maybe tighter, maybe a little heavier in regular driving. The RWD seemed smoother to drive- wasn't sure if that was just me or not. Maybe I need to go to Tesla and do a back to back. And I'm by no means a performance driver and I don't care how fast it goes- I just want a nice fun smooth ride.

I'd love to get a RWD LR - but not really seeing much in used that makes it worth it once you lose all the tax incentives.
There is hardly any tax incentive left, so as the driver of one of the unicorn RWD vehicles, find a used one.

It definitely a very different feeling car for sporty driving, i had a LR RWD before getting the Performance and honestly the RWD felt tighter and more nimble overall. Especially noticeable under hard acceleration as you get a bit of torque steer feeling from power being applied at the front with the AWD cars. I kind of miss the handling of the RWD, but certainly enjoy the additional power i have now.
This. I have one of each. An AWD P and a RWD. Rear wheel drive has awesome driving characteristics and handling. I much prefer. The only thing I like better about the AWD P is... well, Power! If I did not need AWD for traction reasons, I’d choose the RWD every time.

I second that. I have a 100 mile commute. Sometimes I do 140 miles if I have to visit another facility. Both places are uphill. I use way more than 140 miles of range due to elevation; usually I’m guessing 170 miles of range used. With my LR RWD I can charge to 70% and still make it home. I would be cutting it close if I had the standard range and charge to 70%.
Curious, you have real world experience. (data) have u validate it vs. A Better Route Planner App?

I drove both an AWD and a RWD, both long range, before I decided on my RWD. I found the acceleration was not that markedly different and it was clear the the front motor was just along for the ride unless you were accelerating heavily or in low traction conditions. However, I did find that I enjoyed the handling of the RWD better as it was crisper, had better turn in, and I preferred the reduced weight and more rearward weight bias of the RWD.

Reactions: MikeR55 and VQTRVA