Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD vs AWD driving feel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also doesn't regen any harder, which would not be the case if the front motor was also used during regen.

Not necessarily as the limit for regen is not the motor. It's probably the battery/inverter and/or an arbitrary limit to make it comfortable to drive (even if the battery could take it you probably wouldn't want max deceleration when letting go of the accelerator).

I've seen a lot about speed and acceleration as well as snow tires with RWD- etc...

But, I'm wondering on normal roads in good weather- does the AWD feel / handle differently? Or can you not really feel/ tell the difference?.

Thanks for posting the question , op, and hi from Australia - we are just getting our choice of Model 3. SR+ , LR AWD, and Performance here next week. Our orders opened March 2016.

I currently drive a Chevy Volt, and couple days ago was allowed a SR+ test drive (short , Sydney city = 4 blocks , 30 mins ) , and thought the SR+ was ok , we are only allowed 1 model to test drive - ( busy ) so cannot back up for the Performance test drive - and there are no LR AWD to test drive here - so my eyes found this post.

You guys have the LR AWD .. I drive some distance drives, and originally had my heart set on the LR RWD, but it was pulled from sale before we could order it here. . Probably a fan of the lighter more nimble "feel" , but need the range. So interested if anyone had . / has a Chevy Volt - will the LR AWD feel heavier to steer than the volt? Any opinions? (ps the LR AWD here is 23k AUD more than the SR+ :confused: Loved the full spec Volt - now for the next chapter

What you describe sounds like hard acceleration. I do own an LR AWD and a friend has the LR RWD and I can't feel any discernable difference in light acceleration driving, which is what I'm referring to as normal.
Normal for you maybe :p
I definitely feel the front motor in my AWD clawing at the road. I wish it were more rear biased. I wonder if the Performance would send more power to the rear in my “normal” driving.

Not necessarily as the limit for regen is not the motor. It's probably the battery/inverter and/or an arbitrary limit to make it comfortable to drive (even if the battery could take it you probably wouldn't want max deceleration when letting go of the accelerator).
Yes I agree, when we're at the upper limit of regen, but mid curve to lower end would definitely benefit from 2 axle regen, especially at super low speeds like 10ish mph.

Yes I agree, when we're at the upper limit of regen, but mid curve to lower end would definitely benefit from 2 axle regen, especially at super low speeds like 10ish mph.

I still think there might be 2 axle regen as there was a bug last year where RWD with winter tires would have weak/no regen, but most AWD with the same tires were not affected. The bug has since been fixed in firmware I believe.

i'm just going to throw this out there to give a slightly different perspective. I know it's not in the true spirit of OP's question/theme of the thread but here is my 2 cents.

coming from an STi (true, asymmetrical AWD), I can tell you the SR+ is a NOTICEABLY different vehicle in times of questionable traction. so noticeable, that I've had to change my driving style to avoid spinning. now, with that said I have not driven a single dual motor anything to comment on the difference between the two vehicles but I will say that the RWD in the SR+ combined with the torque output will most certainly be a problem in icy/snowy conditions.

i opted to buy the SR+ because it was the vehicle that I could afford at the time. i'm hoping to get some longevity out of this vehicle until the market becomes saturated with more EV options. until then, I'm going to invest in winter performance tires and adjust my driving style.

I had a MR RWD car that I sold to get the P3D-. The MR handled slightly better and had slightly better steering and switched directions easier, but I have zero complaints about the AWD P3D-. It's still incredibly nimble and the torque is so intense it makes all of my passengers laugh when they experience it.

I test drove a LR RWD and had almost all plans of getting one (this was back in April) After the price cuts/Autopilot consolidation and really thinking about it, I decided to get a LR AWD.

From what I can tell, the AWD feels heavier on the front end vs. the RWD did. The RWD was more nimble and felt like driving a BMW 3-series. But the sheer acceleration and confidence of the AWD makes it more worth it IMO. I also figured we get decent snow here in the winter and the AWD would help, and I figure if there's one motor failure I could at least drive with the other one (in theory, not sure if that's completely true).

I'm sure it's in multiple spots on these forums, had I looked up to see how much weight we're talking here. From the door sill sticker on a few currently or previously listed (w/Aero wheels):

SR+: 4541 lb
LR RWD: 4806 lb
LR AWD: 4993 lb

I'm sure it's in multiple spots on these forums, had I looked up to see how much weight we're talking here. From the door sill sticker on a few currently or previously listed (w/Aero wheels):

SR+: 4541 lb
LR RWD: 4806 lb
LR AWD: 4993 lb
Those are maximum gross vehicle weight ratings loaded up with passengers and stuff to the max. The curb weight, which is what most people refer to when talking about the weight of the car is about 900 pounds less. According to the Model 3 owner's manual, the curb weights are as follows.
SR+: 3,552
LR RWD: 3,805
LR AWD: 4,072

Had a Jan 2018 LR RWD and really liked it but swapped it out for Stealth Performance as soon as I could (Aug 2018 delivery)
- swapped the original OEM 19 rims/tires onto the new car so apples to apples rims, tires, battery weight, etc
When you said "swapped" do you mean that you only had to pay the difference of price or sold it and bought a new one?

Just curious about Taxes, because in San Francisco there is a 9.5% sales taxes. So did you paid only the tax on the difference or the full price?

I started with a 2013 S85--RWD only. Great car. Came time to get my wife an S. drove RWD and Dual Drive. Dual Drive way more planted and secure feeling. We don't live or drive in snow country. Got her a 2015 S70D. I was ready to move to a Model 3. Got on the list first week. Could have taken delivery January 2018. Waited for Dual Drive and P3D+, so took delivery September 2018. Love the handling and feel. Subjective--all good.

IT sure is great to get this real world experience from everyone..

Went to Tesla today and decided to test drive them back to back. The AWD does feel heavier for sure.
So which do you prefer.. and did you manage to get a good long test drive?

From what I can tell, the AWD feels heavier on the front end vs. the RWD did. The RWD was more nimble and felt like driving a BMW 3-series. But the sheer acceleration and confidence of the AWD makes it more worth it IMO.
Nice ..

Those are maximum gross vehicle weight ratings loaded up with passengers and stuff to the max. The curb weight, which is what most people refer to when talking about the weight of the car is about 900 pounds less. According to the Model 3 owner's manual, the curb weights are as follows.
SR+: 3,552
LR RWD: 3,805
LR AWD: 4,072

True...thanks for the correction.

I just grabbed what I could for a rough compare of the weights relative to each other to inform the handing differences discussion.