Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD vs AWD driving feel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla All-Wheel Drive has two independent motors that digitally control torque to the front and rear wheels—for far better handling and traction control. Your car can drive on either motor, so you never need to worry about getting stuck on the road.
Source: Design Your Model 3 | Tesla
Wrong claim. I've not seen anything to indicate the AWD have proven to be less reliable than RWD. I want to know his source for that.

In the car world, 400 pounds is a tremendous amount of weight.

I test drove a LR AWD, because that was the only variant the showroom had. Accelerative performance was identical to my BMW (same power-weight as 135/140 xdrive). But it felt more sterile (without that inline 6 grow and shift anticipation). Handling/dynamics felt planted and sure-footed, but without any liveliness to the steering or front end compared to the BMW at 3500lb or so.

I think the SR+ would solve that latter part. And the really restrictive limits here means additional power from AWD or AWD-P would be wasted. Unfortunately, we have extreme winters, so extra range of AWD would alleviate cold-weather range issues and yield far better resale.

There are lots of threads on efficiency on these boards - you definitely seem to be at the high end. I've cruised 100+ miles on the interstate at 70-75mph with autopilot and average 250-260 Wh/mi. to get to <220 I have to be going below 60 mph.

I've been driving this car since March of 2018 with 25k and change on the odometer. I set my foot to 75 and go, its uphill for the first 20 miles or so, then a steep decline for 3 or so then a good mix for a bit ending in a flat final stretch of 3 miles with a 55 speed limit. Then a final mile of steep uphill. Autopilot and cruise control are not very efficient drivers.

Psi at 45-46, no a/c. I also weigh 173lbs with nothing extra in the trunk...on me or in the car. There are plenty of other reports of low wh/mi from people without lead feet. I'm not always in a hurry to be at work so it's easy to be light on the pedal.

I just got back from test diving both the SR+ and LR AWD a few hours ago, as I'm trying to decide between the two myself. I definitely felt a pretty noticeable difference between the two, with the SR+ feeling lighter and more nimble, while the LR AWD was felt much more planted, cornered far better, and had obviously a lot of power on tap (I could only do much with the Tesla rep riding along side me). The sound system was noticeable better in with the premium package as well, at all volume levels. I test drove these cars up in the SF Bay Area, on a normal partially sunny day, and both cars had 18" aeros

IMHO, the LR AWD was clearly better in terms of overall performance, but for my use case as more of a daily driver, I'm not sure it's going to be worth the extra $9K

I had exactly the same opinion after test driving both back to back. The SR+ felt nimbler, almost like it was more responsive to the wheel. Reminded me of my BMW F30. The LR felt more planted, almost as if the whole car was grounded more and turning as one rather than that darting feeling when the rear wheel drive pushes the car into the turn.