Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD vs AWD regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

For those who drove both the RWD and AWD, do you feel the difference in regen? Do you feel more regen coming from the front of the car?
On the energy page, do you see more regen from AWD than RWD, or is it the same kW?

On more slippery roads, do you feel the RWD more lively under regen (more tail happy), having to use more the friction brakes to get it more under control?

Can we keep the regen at normal further the rwd when the roads get slippery?

I am coming from a manual gearbox car, so I like engine breaking a lot to slow me down.

Thanks for any feedback.

Reactions: doubeld
It is addressed to all Tesla owners as there are probably more Model S owners that know both variants as a lot of them moved from a RWD to an AWD.

And to answer your next question, I put it in the Canada forum as it is the country where an Tesla owner has more chance to encounter slippery conditions.

Did you personally have the chance to test both variants? If so, what is your feedback on this point?

I find the computer does a good job of balancing the regeneration, I can’t physically tell where the primary is.

Admittedly I’m driving an X, so the extra weight is probably a good cushion for that feeling. :p

I've driven both. But honestly, unless you drive both side by side and compare over and over again, I don't think you'd notice it.

As for slippery conditions, where I drove the RWD was perfect weather. They do warn that high regen is not advised on slippery conditions, I'd honestly be surprised if it's a big deal. You can always toggle it if needed.

As for same kW.. the AWD is less efficient to begin with and if there's any better regen.. it won't be enough to beat the inefficiency compared to RWD.

Reactions: Pescakl1
I charged the car to 95% for the weekend and temperatures are dipping sub 10°C and noticed "Limited Regen".

If you're charging to 90% SOC frequently then the regen will be limited. I charge to SOC 70-80% depending on the day of the week and have averaged 135Wh/km for 7000km using regen to brake when I can.

Your speed plays a huge factor on the highway along with acceleration. Like pcons said - all these little things factors into the Wh/km. I'd say drive how you want. Either way it's still cleaner than an ICE car :)

I charged the car to 95% for the weekend and temperatures are dipping sub 10°C and noticed "Limited Regen".

If you're charging to 90% SOC frequently then the regen will be limited. I charge to SOC 70-80% depending on the day of the week and have averaged 135Wh/km for 7000km using regen to brake when I can.

Your speed plays a huge factor on the highway along with acceleration. Like pcons said - all these little things factors into the Wh/km. I'd say drive how you want. Either way it's still cleaner than an ICE car :)
Limited regen happened to me at a much lower state of charge (sub 60%), and this was within 10~13C.

Whenever state of charge is >95% I have limited regen.
Also if outdoor temperature and cold soaked car below ~12o there is limited regen.
If it gets colder, say freezing, then you have to drive for ~15-20min on the highway to get full regen.
If it is -10o then it is close to half an hour of limited regen. Preheating car via app (which meas battery heater is working) reduces this time in about half.
You live in Canada with our unpredictable but cold winters get the AWD.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pescakl1
I have both RWD and AWD Model S. the regen on dual motors cars is somewhat more aggressive at slowing the car down. Enough that when I don’t drive the RWD one for a while I let off the accelerator too late and need to use the friction brakes. That being said, most of my winter driving has been in the RWD car so far and I only fishtailed once when I hit some wet ice. Ever since then I use low regen in winter. It doesn’t make a big difference as regen is usually limited when cold anyways. Hope that helps.