TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Så kör man Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'Video' started by TEG, Jul 5, 2009.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. xcelero.ii

xcelero.ii Push Start Go

How does the Roadster feel in the hand with no power steering? Does this omission work because of the cars footprint?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The Lotus chassis which was the starting point of the Roadster is/was a minimalist design that didn't bother with power steering as another way to save weight and provide very direct steering feel. The Roadster gained a lot of weight in that it has to carry a heavy battery pack around. To some that means that the low speed parking lot steering is a bit on the heavy side and requires a bit of work to muscle it through slow parking lot turns. Once you get up to speed the steering feels very precise and pure. For most people I think the trade-off was worth the benefits.

4. SByer

SByer '08 #383

What TEG said, abso-friggin-loutely. It would be a shame to have power steering in this car, and the only time it really takes some muscling is under 5mph.

5. Tdave

Tdave Member

And under hard cornering, when there is a fairly strong centering force communicated through the steering wheel.

6. xcelero.ii

xcelero.ii Push Start Go

@TEG: Ah. Thanks for the notes. And I can see how this makes more sense.