Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S LR / Plaid tinted roof makes it useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else find that the glass roof is tinted so dark that it might as well be a body panel?

I sat in the back of my Plaid for the first time while the wife drove myself and the kids around and... I struggle to understand the purpose of it. You can't see anything out of it and it's probably 10x heavier than aluminum.

Reactions: aerodyne
Does anyone else find that the glass roof is tinted so dark that it might as well be a body panel?

I sat in the back of my Plaid for the first time while the wife drove myself and the kids around and... I struggle to understand the purpose of it. You can't see anything out of it and it's probably 10x heavier than aluminum.
I was shocked how dark it was compared to my old P85D.

Reactions: aerodyne
Ok, for an opposing view - I'd rather have it darker. When the sun is overhead at some angles, I find it too bright (2022 S LR). I sort of miss my metal roof from my prior two Teslas. I've never seen the need to see through the roof.
If you had a sunroof you might, ahem, see things differently.

I really miss that from the old nose cone car.

Ok, for an opposing view - I'd rather have it darker. When the sun is overhead at some angles, I find it too bright (2022 S LR). I sort of miss my metal roof from my prior two Teslas. I've never seen the need to see through the roof.

That's interesting. I have a 2022 Model S, and the glass roof is extremely dark, much darker than I anticipated prior to receiving the car.

During a hot summer day, I can look up DIRECTLY at the sun with no issue. Not even a tiny amount of discomfort or "I shouldn't be looking at the sun". I also live in SoCal so we definitely have pretty sunny days.

If I don't think about it, I don't even know its there. Until I read this thread, I almost forgot I had a glass roof.

That's interesting. I have a 2022 Model S, and the glass roof is extremely dark, much darker than I anticipated prior to receiving the car.

During a hot summer day, I can look up DIRECTLY at the sun with no issue. Not even a tiny amount of discomfort or "I shouldn't be looking at the sun". I also live in SoCal so we definitely have pretty sunny days.

If I don't think about it, I don't even know its there. Until I read this thread, I almost forgot I had a glass roof.
I had a discussion with a friend. If a tree fell on the car, which roof protects you better? Glass or solid? I have had sunroof on many of my cars. Most of the time I pulled the shade to block the hot CA sun. It is funny also when I see so many convertible cars with the top closed on beautiful sunny days

I had a discussion with a friend. If a tree fell on the car, which roof protects you better? Glass or solid? I have had sunroof on many of my cars. Most of the time I pulled the shade to block the hot CA sun. It is funny also when I see so many convertible cars with the top closed on beautiful sunny days

But with such a dark tint, you don't need to park under a tree for shade.

FIFY

On the brighter, (or should I say darker) side, us lucky folks are all ready for the 2024 solar eclipse.