TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

S vs X for us?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Northgate, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Northgate

Northgate New Member

Hey

I've been lurking here for some time now, mostly for the cool tips, tricks and tweaks people have found useful with their Model S's, and finally decided to join now I've hit my own dilemma...

We've got 2 daughters and on our holidays our S is PACKED (maybe we bring too much? :rolleyes: ) and just in general myself and my husband would prefer a bigger car, the perfect solution being the X. However financially I don't think we're quite there yet. Collectively we make about £4000 a month after income tax & NI, and with our current expenses minus savings & the S we have just over £2000 a month. I think we can budget in a X (might be slightly biased towards getting one rather than keeping the X, I mean what? ;) ) but my husband disagrees.

Should I hold off getting an X for now, or trade in/sell the S for one?

Interested what you think :)
    Thanks!

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

The biggest depreciation hit is when you first take delivery of the vehicle ...depending on how old your S is and what model you may get decent price in private sale. Unless you are comfortable with taking a loss so soon on tradein ...the S is more than Enough car ...my S actually holds more than my X(6 seater ) :eek:....my vote is stay in S , travel lighter :oops:

• Informative x 1
  3. Northgate

Northgate New Member

Interesting.. does anyone know if Tesla do those longer term test drives (I think BMW does either 48 hour or 1 week ones) that would actually be quite useful. I can imagine we'd buy a used-but-not-very-used ('66/17 reg) so we miss a good chunk of the depreciation, same as what we did with the S.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Tesla does extended test drives but depends on your sales center ...if u are looking for space you want to check out a 5 or 7 seater as the third row folded gives most space ...even though u can fold third row in six seater ...u only get 2middle seats so u will lose a seat compared to S

5. Cowby

Cowby Member

X is better for passenger space....S is better for cargo space. I got a cargo hitch, stowaway2.com, for the X (like others here) and it gives us the best of both worlds for traveling!

6. LoveEV

LoveEV Member

yes they should do extended test drive seeing that you are an existing customer already. They are normally 24-48 hours.

7. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

This is a similiar thread and may be helpful as well.

We have an S with rear facing seats and it was enough when we only had one Tesla. Where it was lacking is when we needed to carry adults instead of children, if we needed to road trip with 6 people + luggage, or carry larger items that wouldn't fit inside (ie, Christmass Tree) The X solved a lot of those issues for us.

Adults fit much more comfortably, luggage was no longer an issue, and the ability to tow was great. We now have both; the S became a commuter car and we put 3x the mileage on our X as our go to family car. Little things like door pockets, and a couple extra inches here and there; really makes a big impact for comfort when you're hauling a family with a lot of stuff.

8. Sonic_78

Sonic_78 Member

Yeah, my contribution on this post was for you to talk to your local SC and let them know you're undecided on S or X and request an overnight test drive. Tesla gave us an X for 2 nights / 3 days. It really helped because you can use it in your own daily routine.

• Like x 2
  9. Whisky

Whisky Member

To me, the MX seems like a bargain compared to the MS if you have need for the extra seating space. It's not that much more expensive considering what you get with the doors etc..

10. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

With the huge trunk capacity of the S, then you need to start practicing as if you were flying and limited to one suitcase. I'm not sure if the X can help.