Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S/X + 3/Y hybrid garages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun Q:

for those of you with two different "generations" of his/hers vehicles, what are your driving patterns? Who's driving which? Just curious since I still like my aged S 75D even when I get to drive her much more efficient LR Y.

2015 70D (mine) and 2019 M3LR - RWD (hers)

The M3 goes on trips despite paying for supercharging because it has a much larger range and charges much faster. For shorter trips, we take the S to balance the miles (and the S has AP while the 3 doesn't).

I prefer the M3 for short trips so I take it even though it is the wives. It is more efficient and more nimble. It also boots up faster (MCU2 vs original emmc MCU1). The stereo is also better.

The ride is better on the S but that is a relatively minor consideration for us.

I have S 75 D and my spouse got the Performance 3. I like the 3 for the smaller size for parking and for the acceleration. I prefer my S for everything else: sunroof, two screens, physical controls for things I use frequently, Bioweapon defense mode, suspension, less confusing (to me) AP control, and it's mine. The MCU2 upgrade cut down on the advantages that the newer car had over mine. If I could get a battery upgrade, I would do it if we were in a position to do more road trips. Otherwise, the car works for our daily life and two-hour legs on road trips. The S with free supercharging and more cargo space is the preferred car for road trips.

We have tandem parking and my car was blocked in for months while we sheltered in place and WFH, and used the 3 for errands and grocery trips. We brought out my car when the fire season started so that we could take advantage of BDM when the air quality is bad, and enjoy the sunroof when the air is clean.

I had put in a reservation for the 3 and my ticket was called three months after I got the S. I would have been happy with the 3 if that was what I got. I'm happy with the S now that I've experienced the difference. I feel very fortunate to have been able to afford the S.

I enjoy driving more than my spouse does so there's that.

Last edited:
I take my 3 any chance I get, because it is more efficient and fun to drive.

But my wife prefers her X because it is more comfortable (because of seats and space and suspension - and during fire season, Biohazard mode), and of course any time we have more people or stuff to haul it makes more sense. With all those advantages plus free Supercharging and easier-to-use autopilot controls, the X is definitely our road trip vehicle.

Usage patterns were very similar when I had a Roadster and she had an S, but we both moved up to larger vehicles because aging parents had problems getting in to the Roadster (my Mom) and S (her Father).

In the future, it will likely be more of the same. As my Mom (and, to be honest, I) deteriorate, I will likely move up to a Y. And my wife insists on switching her X to a Cybertruck, so she can throw her bike in the back, or tow the trailer we recently ordered. I just wonder if the truck will be too high for her father to get in to...