Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA Govt EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohh its 2x CCS2 59/68c kwh or the 7kw haha
Ohh well free top up. I didnt need it but wanted to see this with my own eyes

IMG_9482.jpeg

Reactions: dronus
I still have no idea why most of the 7kW AC chargers alongside the 150kW / 200kW DC charges aren't on the Chargefox network (yet?), so a free charge is always a bonus - but I don't get why!

I also wondered about that. It must be a technical reason, although I think Normanville successfully has both AC and DC chargers on Chargefox.

I responded to your post back in November - at-least they are now switching on the ChargeMates. My impression in the early days of the roll out, most of the ChargeMates were switched off/had no power - i.e. Woodside and Morgan.

Reactions: dronus and B3AU
I still have no idea why most of the 7kW AC chargers alongside the 150kW / 200kW DC charges aren't on the Chargefox network (yet?), so a free charge is always a bonus - but I don't get why!
Yeah im not complaining!

It does have the tap thing on there but it just started charging when i plugged in so i walked away slowly.

Good for places like seaford next to a big shopping centre (hint hint council!) as people will go in and spend a while shopping. The fast charger is great too to give you a faster charge if you didnt want to hang around (or just duck over to the servo/dodgey massage place)

I thought the DCFC was ccs2/chademo like the evie ones but i was mistaken! The cable should be long enough for a reach around.

I know I'm probably getting picky, and am grateful that there is now *SOME* DCFC in the south but it might be advantageous to put some kind of shelter over the chargers/bays/electrical cabinet out there.
It is in the middle of no where with no shade or protection from the elements.

On a side note I'm actually surprised it hasn't been vandalized yet.

The council will just say "We have extended ourselves enough allowing that charger" and its probably there due to their highly paid consultants telling them that all EVs catch on fire, so put it out there away from everything" so i expect absolutely no progress on providing anything. Maybe if i ask RAA they could fund it, IF the council allows them to build it.... Their planning people are a joke, ask any builder how many carports get approved because the person who approves them doesn't like them... anyway.,..

Ohh and I’ve written to the local member to bring the lack of EV charging in the south to their attention.
Was a very constructive and polite email, lets see if escalating it from my interactions with the council can help in any way.

Reactions: Jules22
Does any one have any insight into what’s happening at the moana site? It says chargefox but isnt RAA. Its been sitting there a long time now…

Can't say I do. Moana Heights Shopping Center is managed by MRS Property Pty Ltd. I emailed them asking who the asset owner is, but they never responded. According to someone on Plugshare, Chargefox has no ETA. I wonder if Chargefox can tell use who the asset owner is?

Can't say I do. Moana Heights Shopping Center is managed by MRS Property Pty Ltd. I emailed them asking who the asset owner is, but they never responded. According to someone on Plugshare, Chargefox has no ETA. I wonder if Chargefox can tell use who the asset owner is?
Its a bit of a weird one. Have you seen any other ABB units like that around SA? At first i was thinking about that supermarket out near Gawler (drakes?) but on closer inspection it’s different.
I wonder what is holding it up? Its been there wuite some time and the locals seem restless :)

Its a bit of a weird one. Have you seen any other ABB units like that around SA? At first i was thinking about that supermarket out near Gawler (drakes?) but on closer inspection it’s different.
I wonder what is holding it up? Its been there wuite some time and the locals seem restless :)
The one at Drakes is AC.

You were probably remembering the one in Gawler Park shopping centre in Evanston
No ChargeFox markings, yet.

There are also these otherwise nondescript ABB ChargeFox sites,
K Park Playhouse lane
Customs House Port Adelaide

Reactions: B3AU and dronus
Its a bit of a weird one. Have you seen any other ABB units like that around SA?
There are a couple. Any enterprising individual or business can install a DCFC and get Chargefox to act as the clearing house for payments.

I don't think MRS property are behind it as they have numerous other smaller shopping centers around and I don't believe any of those have charging. But then I guess you have to test the concept somewhere. So it could be a first.

Potentially it could be linked to one of the handful of businesses in the shopping center (there is only a few tenancies).
I wonder what is holding it up? :)
Could be anything. If it is a smaller operator, they may not be fully versed with the project management - civil, electrical, switchboards, metering, approvals.

When I was last on site (months ago), it appeared the power feed went up a conduit (by the stairs) into the roof of the shopping center. This would suggest it will be powered from the main switchboard (which is around the back). Potentially there is not enough capacity in the board, triggering other upgrades. It could get messy if you are not the owner of that switchboard and you have to involve property management and then the owner.

If I remember, some of the civil works around the charger is also not finished. It's almost like it has just be abandoned. If you were having trouble with the switchboard, you would think you would still get the trades back to finish the civil works around the charger and clean it up while you wait.

Last edited:
The Seaford Kempower DCFC is keeping the RAA on its toes. It appears to have no power again tonight, which is becoming a regular occurrence. I suspect something seems to be tripping the breakers/RCD. The 7kW ChargeMate always stays powered up.

It also often reports having a faulty port B - I'm now suspecting the two events are related.

Port B.png

It had no power on the night of the 2nd March. Working again on the 3rd. Tripped again on the 5th March. The faulty port B was the 12th March.

Despite the issues, the RAA always seems to have it back running the next morning. I suspect tomorrow will be the same. So they are trying their best to keep the network functional.

Edit: Appears to be back up from the Chargefox App. I wonder if someone physically attends site, or can they cycle it remotely?

Last edited:
The Seaford Kempower DCFC is keeping the RAA on its toes. It appears to have no power again tonight, which is becoming a regular occurrence. I suspect something seems to be tripping the breakers/RCD. The 7kW ChargeMate always stays powered up.

It also often reports having a faulty port B - I'm now suspecting the two events are related.

View attachment 1029887

It had no power on the night of the 2nd March. Working again on the 3rd. Tripped again on the 5th March. The faulty port B was the 12th March.

Despite the issues, the RAA always seems to have it back running the next morning. I suspect tomorrow will be the same. So they are trying their best to keep the network functional.

Edit: Appears to be back up from the Chargefox App. I wonder if someone physically attends site, or can they cycle it remotely?
Does it run from that cabinet nearby or is that just for comms?
I think the location is terrible, but probably the only place the council would extend their generosity to allow EV charging as apparently they are a hazard catching on fire etc…
Didn’t they have to trench the HV a fair way to get there?
I went past the other night and there were cars there but also cars that were not EVs and people lingering around. Not very inviting place to be at night.

Does it run from that cabinet nearby or is that just for comms?
I think the location is terrible, but probably the only place the council would extend their generosity to allow EV charging as apparently they are a hazard catching on fire etc…
Didn’t they have to trench the HV a fair way to get there?
I went past the other night and there were cars there but also cars that were not EVs and people lingering around. Not very inviting place to be at night.

The cabinet is the switchboard with breakers and probably metering. Not sure too much on the details for comms.

Yes, It is not the greatest site. The carpark has always had 10 overhead lights, that have not worked for years. They are fed from the same padmount transformer than the DCFC - opposite the entry to the carpark (east of the DCFC). I was hoping when they did the electrical works, the lights would be fixed, but that hasn't been the case. The site is very dark at night.

I'm not sure if the RAA has a job on the council to fix the lights as part of their lease.

The cabinet is the switchboard with breakers and probably metering. Not sure too much on the details for comms.

Yes, It is not the greatest site. The carpark has always had 10 overhead lights, that have not worked for years. They are fed from the same padmount transformer than the DCFC - opposite the entry to the carpark (east of the DCFC). I was hoping when they did the electrical works, the lights would be fixed, but that hasn't been the case. The site is very dark at night.

I'm not sure if the RAA has a job on the council to fix the lights as part of their lease.
I hope so. It’s pretty sketchy.
Unfortunately if you are urgently need a charge there are no other options nearby either. Old Noarlunga behind the pub for some quality time on a 7kw type 2 perhaps but apart from that it’s slim pickings.

If they had 2 bays closer to the well lit shopping centre, closer to reliable power it would have been good.

I went past seaford tonight as I was a bit bored. There were no lights on the DCFC, not sure if it goes into a standby mode or if it was still broken as PlugShare checkins seems to indicate.
Some pretty shadey characters in the carpark so I didn’t stop, can probably go past tomorrow during daylight to see if it’s just the AC outlet working.
PlugShare says both DC outlets are working 🤔

I went past seaford tonight as I was a bit bored. There were no lights on the DCFC, not sure if it goes into a standby mode or if it was still broken as PlugShare checkins seems to indicate.
Some pretty shadey characters in the carpark so I didn’t stop, can probably go past tomorrow during daylight to see if it’s just the AC outlet working.
PlugShare says both DC outlets are working 🤔

Chargefox says it is currently offline (9:03am) - so I suspect no power. This DCFC appears to have three states - 1. fully operational, 2. port b output line relay fault and 3. Dead (No power). It generally cycles between those states over the coarse of 24/48 hours.

I don't know if they have a service call booked for it, but it appears at the moment the preferred "fix" is just to power cycle/reboot it. That generally gets the DCFC working for another 12 to 24 hours.

Screenshot_20240329-090338_Chargefox.jpg

Last edited:
Plugshare says it's offline (9:03am) - so I suspect no power. This DCFC appears to have three states - 1. fully operational, 2. port b output relay fault and 3. Dead (No power). It generally cycles between those states over the coarse of 24/48 hours.

I don't know if they have a service call booked for it, but it appears at the moment the preferred "fix" is just to power cycle/reboot it. That generally gets the DCFC working for another 12 to 24 hours.

View attachment 1033146
Ohh thanks, saved me the trip this morning (Any excuse to take this car for a drive!).

I am going to head to Centennial park for a while so might drop in and see if any of the green tritium chargers are working at Tonsley. I dont need to charge, but just curious about how the sites are configured.

I have recently had communications with different levels of Government agencies about more EV charging in the south, especially the big black hole here.
Ill either get fobbed off again or something might happen, but either way im hoping something happens (mindset and education at least ) which benefits small businesses in the south somehow. Wont go into too much detail here, but will post if something happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig 128
Ok so I’m down at Tonsley Innovation Park.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but close enough.
Really nice set up with shaded EV parking, 2x tritium fast chargers with ccs2 and Chademo, plus 3x double 22kw type 2 units.
Only issue is that only one of the type 2 chargers works, others are in fault.
Neither fast chargers works.
I knew this before coming here from PlugShare comments but was worth a look.
I’m plugged into one shared type 2 alongside a Volvo and I’m getting 30a 7kw for free.
Would be perfect if you worked there, could just leave the car in the shade hooked up all day.
I left after checking it out, back to jolt roulette haha

IMG_9891.jpeg
IMG_9892.jpeg
IMG_9894.jpeg
IMG_9896.jpeg

Last edited: