Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sad ordering experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to comment the ordering experience we had in Raleigh, NC. We went to the service center in early January, asked about the Model Y new upgrades (ie. heated steering wheel, new console), the service advisor had no knowledge about that at all. We followed up with him multiple times with email, message, call, and was not able to reach anybody. We placed an order on Feb. 13 for long range Model Y and put down the specs we wanted, however there was nowhere we can specify the new updates. We tried to work with the sales advisor, no responses. Within a week we got notification for delivery. We wanted to confirm if the car has the upgrades, the sales advisor just ignored our requests. Given the limited information on the VIN and no response from sales advisor we made another order on Feb. 28 and hoping that can increase the odds of getting the new upgrade. During that time, we tried numerous times to reach to the service advisor regarding our order, but again, he did not respond at all. On March 3, we were notified for the delivery. Again, we were not given clear information regarding the upgrades and we were charged $100 two times for placing the order. The service advisor had been non responsive, lack of knowledge, not willing to work with customer, and rude. We were pretty disappointed at this point and would like your advice in dealing with the situation. Thanks.

In my experience, sales advisers are not good at getting back with you about things like this. I'd suggest either waiting a little longer to be sure that you get the features from February, or just go ahead with it and hope for the best. Once you get a VIN, you can ask for a build date and that should get you the information that you want.

I would go into the Tesla service center/showroom (well masked and socially distanced) and talk to the sales reps IN PERSON. They can't ignore you if you're standing in front of them.

Ask for the build date. Supposedly if it's after February 7th the new console should be included, rumor has it at least, but I've read that pretty widely, and you should also get the heated steering wheel. It appears that only the Performance models are getting the new headlights at this time. The reps should be able to get you the build date info. If you have a delivery date you should have a VIN.

Again, go in person. I've used this strategy over the years when encountering non-responsive people.

Its definitely not going to be like a traditional dealer. My main contact wasn't very good at getting back to me either. I usually tried to be clear and keep my questions in one email. I'd get a response a few days later or not at all. He didn't even say hi when I picked it up the other day. The two other ladies I spoke to while there were pleasant and I would be curious to see if they had better communication skills.

It would be nice to see better training for the Customer Service facing folk. But I can imagine their job roles might be all over the place depending on what needs to be addressed at the moment. End of quarter, they are probably in the back doing PDIs and stuff.

I kept my expectations lower, and I think it was the right thing to do. This was more like a Best Buy online pickup, less like I bought a car from a luxury dealer :)

In this situation the best approach is to do the opposite. Don't contact the SA, don't respond the first time they contact you. Take your time. Make them think that getting a new Tesla is not high on your priority list. It helps if you don't soon need a new vehicle. As the time approaches for your Tesla to be delivered you will need to complete the online information but not before.

True scenario: In June 2020 I arranged for touch less home delivery, thought this was all set.

Tesla SA: The shipment with your vehicle has been delayed for few days, we don't think we can deliver it to you as planned for this week. Is there any way you can pick up the vehicle this weekend?

Me: It would be more convenient for me if Tesla delivers the vehicle to my home as planned. I've waited 15 months, I can wait a few more days.

P.S. Tesla calls me on Sunday afternoon to ask if they can deliver the vehicle to my home that afternoon. (The Tesla SA claimed they had a home delivery cancellation.) I said of course.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and jsight
My Y which is delivering this Sunday will be my first Tesla ever.
From the get go I set my expectations low after reading all the facebook groups. I've actually never gone into a Tesla dealer once and everything has been online. I can already tell you my SA is not the brightest and even when I ask detailed questions I get vague answer back. I let it be and can find my resources online or thru friends.

But from their view I think they deal with so many of these question they are probably tired of them. As much as you want them to do the right thing the harder you push them the less engaged they will want to be. What's in it for them? They don't commission right? They are probably sick of the same questions over and over about build dates etc no other car brand has these challenges.

I only say this because I don't think Elon cares about improving these poor interactions. Buy my product don't like it I have someone waiting behind you.

Reactions: Nrazar
I would like to comment the ordering experience we had in Raleigh, NC. We went to the service center in early January, asked about the Model Y new upgrades (ie. heated steering wheel, new console), the service advisor had no knowledge about that at all
I'm not sure if your terminology is off, but when you say "service center" do you mean the Tesla store? And when you say "service advisor" did you mean "sales advisor"? I just wanted to clarify as service advisors would be handling service issues and would unlikely know the answers to your questions. Also their work load may be quite high so unless you had a service scheduled with them they would unlikely respond.

A sales advisor (the people inside the store where you can look at the cars) would be different. They however only would probably be able to answer basic questions and may not know about all of the unadvertised features (from other thread there aren't many clear answers on heated steering wheel and Tesla does not advertise it as a feature).

Note that people at stores may not necessarily be the one handling your case. When I placed an order for the Model 3 here in California online, I had someone call me shortly after I placed the order. He basically served as my sales advisor and he was very happy to answer any questions and concerns I had (also helped me arrange the pickup schedule when the one Tesla provided didn't work out for me). He was responsive to my texts even after hours.

Note there is no way to specify getting the updates. I don't think any sales advisor can promise you would get one with the features you wanted. You would have to likely monitor the delivery threads until it is clear all cars are being delivered with the features you wanted.

This hasn't been my experience at all. Very helpful & responsive, via combinations of calls/email/text.

Might be worth trying something different - I found a Model Y in inventory at a store & just called that showroom directly to say "I see this inventory - any chance you could give me the VIN + build date since it's at your location?". Honestly wasn't trying to circumvent my rep - just didn't want to bug him with a question at a different location.

Depending on how that goes, you could slip in during that conversation that you've got a reservation or you've had trouble recently.

Roll of the dice that you get a better rep who can give you some better info. I've had good luck getting interesting/helpful reps that way. Even the good ones won't have answers to some stuff, but at least they'll be honest & say 'nobody knows right now & it's all speculation at this point'. For some items, that really is the best info that's available.

Sounds like things have not improved since my experience with my MY back in Sept. No contact, no responses, etc. etc. until the day before.

If you can get the VIN and the build date great. Take a look around this site, there are instructions on how to get the VIN by other means than your SA.

If you can't, be prepared to reject the car when you are at the delivery location and have them put you back in the queue.

We are approaching the end of the quarter, when things get a little hectic at Tesla delivery centers. (to say the least) Don't let them foist something on you that you are not completely satisfied with.

One suggestion - DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING the SA tells you at delivery. This has been my experience confirmed by multiple reports on this and other sites.

If they say they'll fix it at a future service date, don't accept that. It means you will have to take time out to bring your new car back, maybe get a loaner, but more probably get vouchers for ride share services. And how long the "fixes" will take is anyone's guess. I'm sure some have had great experiences, in and out in under two hours, but others report horror stories. And BTW, I've had great experiences with the mobile service, have not had the "pleasure" of actually dropping the car off at the service center. But based on my purchase experience, I will not be using that service center.

You're spending good money. They are selling you something. Do not accept anything less than what you are paying for. Tesla will eventually learn, I hope.

Tesla.com is selling you something, but the people inside the service center are not. I don't know that Tesla will be providing a monetary incentive for more hand holding, its not really the way the model works. So I don't really anticipate this mimicking a traditional dealership experience. I think they just need to work on CS training and perhaps org structure for the customer facing parts.

Also the SA acronym typically meant Service Advisor (service), and CA was Client Advisor (sales). Sure wish this nomenclature was adopted here. Every time I read SA my mind goes to Service...

Not surprising, contacting and working with an actual person is sometimes the hardest part with Tesla. Wait to be assigned a VIN and then when they reach out to you to assign a delivery date, before giving them a date ask to know when the manufacture date was and if it has xyz. Then you can come back here to confirm with the VIN and manufacturing date. If you want to be safe, you can also flat out just delay delivery and they'll dump you back in line waiting for a new car. When they reach out to you to set a delivery date, just say "I'm not ready, release me from this car and I'll wait to be matched with another one" or something and let them know you're thinking of waiting at least another month or so.

Otherwise, you're buying what's listed on the web site. If features aren't listed then you're not buying those, you might get lucky and get them, but you're only actually buying what Tesla lists as the features. Eventually Tesla will get around to updating the web site (most likely when the lines are 100% updated with the changes) and then you can be certain you're ordering those items.

Unlike Tesla enthusiasts and buyers, Service/Delivery employees do not spend all day reading through forums like these. They usually do not become aware of little changes until they begin to see them come in. They are just tasked with delivering all the customer cars when they come in. Some delivery centers deal with over 200 cars on a busy day, and simply do not have the time nor bandwidth to determine which headlights, center consoles, heated steering wheels, tire brands etc.

All these things might be top of mind for the buyer, but the deliver rep is usually tied up in prep, charging, insurance, financing, fixing cosmetic issues, stocking the fridge and coffee machine.

They will not be the ones physically going over every car and attending to every detail.

They deal with factory fresh, demo, used, from stock and refurbished cars on any given day. They cannot keep track of which ones have the mega cast constructions, and which have the robotic welded structurers.

I have had terrible communication with the SA at the KC store. Emails and calls are never returned. I have refused 3 MY LR deliveries. The first MY (Aug 2020) was totally just wrong- all panels were uneven, hood off and back window tilted - seats had a 3" difference between them which was unable to be repaired and on top of it the paint was swirly around the whole vehicle. The refusal of 2 and 3 were because of production date- Jan 31 so no updated console - actually refused and rematched to the same VIN. I drive a Porsche Macan and LOVE the car but truly wanted to go EV and the MY LR if built correctly would be a good fit. I don't think the SA team at the KC store care about customer experience only meeting quarterly deliveries regardless of quality.

I have had terrible communication with the SA at the KC store. Emails and calls are never returned. I have refused 3 MY LR deliveries. The first MY (Aug 2020) was totally just wrong- all panels were uneven, hood off and back window tilted - seats had a 3" difference between them which was unable to be repaired and on top of it the paint was swirly around the whole vehicle. The refusal of 2 and 3 were because of production date- Jan 31 so no updated console - actually refused and rematched to the same VIN. I drive a Porsche Macan and LOVE the car but truly wanted to go EV and the MY LR if built correctly would be a good fit. I don't think the SA team at the KC store care about customer experience only meeting quarterly deliveries regardless of quality.

That’s very unfortunate. I have a LR MY on it’s way to arrive in a couple of weeks and am also buying from the KC store. So far, it has been one of the best car buying experiences I have ever had. I have purchased many brands of vehicles (all ICE) over the years, foreign and domestic and would rank my experience, thus far with Tesla, as excellent. All of my phone calls, text messages and emails have been responded to in a very timely manner. I was also able to have the advisor take care of all my requests, like confirming the new console. He has even called me after hours to assure my questions were answered the same day. I will have my final assessment once I am in the car driving it home, but I am impressed at this point.

So Cindyliu, it is the luck of the draw. Depending on which CA you get, your experience could be wonderful or it could be a complete horror show. Sounds like your experience is tending towards the latter. I hope it turns around for you.

Maybe it's just me, but somehow it doesn't seem right that the purchase of a ~60K item should be so iffy.

And don't get me wrong, I love my MY. When it was delivered, my wife and I used clipboards and checklists to go over everything. There were a few minor items that were problematic, and the CA assured us they would be taken care of when we returned to take delivery in 2 days (giving them time to fix the issues). When we returned NONE OF THE WORK had been done. We had a different CA who knew nothing about what was promised.

Keep your eyes open, write down everything they tell you, get names, get phone numbers, get email addresses. And most of all, keep your excitement in check. The cars are worth waiting for, but if something is wrong it could sour the whole experience.

That’s very unfortunate. I have a LR MY on it’s way to arrive in a couple of weeks and am also buying from the KC store. So far, it has been one of the best car buying experiences I have ever had. I have purchased many brands of vehicles (all ICE) over the years, foreign and domestic and would rank my experience, thus far with Tesla, as excellent. All of my phone calls, text messages and emails have been responded to in a very timely manner. I was also able to have the advisor take care of all my requests, like confirming the new console. He has even called me after hours to assure my questions were answered the same day. I will have my final assessment once I am in the car driving it home, but I am impressed at this point.

Would you mind sharing the first name of your advisor? The person who initially assisted me is Jessica and since then I have talked to Jacob on the delivery end. Pete the mgr has emailed but his replies are like weeks later if at all. Glad you are getting your MY soon and hope you have a successful delivery.

I would go into the Tesla service center/showroom (well masked and socially distanced) and talk to the sales reps IN PERSON. They can't ignore you if you're standing in front of them.

Ask for the build date. Supposedly if it's after February 7th the new console should be included, rumor has it at least, but I've read that pretty widely, and you should also get the heated steering wheel. It appears that only the Performance models are getting the new headlights at this time. The reps should be able to get you the build date info. If you have a delivery date you should have a VIN.

Again, go in person. I've used this strategy over the years when encountering non-responsive people.

i tried this and they would not come out and talk only called me on phone and was waste of time.