Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Recall? Backup Camera Randomly Stop Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a year and half, it looks like Tesla is finally recalling this. Hope to get my $382 back. Now I am getting error message related to front collision safety system malfunction. My guess is related to harness under the seat wearing out with repeated seat moves. . Tesla needs to use better quality harness. I will wait for another safety recall related to seat harness

Has anyone received the recall notice for M3 backup camera? I only received for MS trunk recall. I need a link for reimbursement form. Thx
Notifications aren't planned to go out until 2/18/2022.

Details in this PDF: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V00D-5923.PDF

It just says that people may be eligible for a refund, but not how you would request one. (That will probably be included in the 2/18 notification, though I would hope Tesla just sends a refund automatically with no request necessary.)

Reactions: RyanS
Since I am out of warranty and nothing works, I came up with this solution. It usually works. If I lose the backup camera, I park the car and turn it off. First, I pray to Tesla god for a few minutes and hope that in a few hours, back up camera would start working. I also talk to my car’s AI. Apologies for anything that I have done to offend her. Elon warned us about AI, and I am already experiencing it. She is so moody.
there are fundamental technical reasons why its necessary to sacrifice a young goat to the ECU god.

This is kind of interesting. Our backup camera on a MY froze while my wife was backing up in the garage. She stopped as she heard the crunch of the bike between the garage wall and the car. Tesla told us to not trust the camera and we had to file a insurance claim to get the car repaired. So why have a backup camera if it's not recommended to use it.

I gotta say since the Christmas update my backup camera has become pretty unreliable. Its like all the code for the crappy UI has pushed out the code for the critical functions of the car and it takes a while to load back up.

Returning to the prior question, if the camera isn't reliable it probably becomes a safety violation. There's a reason backup cameras have been mandated for a decade or more.