Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saggy chins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. I would be concerned about the carbon fiber breaking, since this clearly is a weak spot in the car.
Is that not an issue?

I would very much prefer it if this part had some flex - eg a hard rubber material or something. I really don't understand why this is no more sturdy (or why the bottom pan is not mounted directly underneath the top mount). Mine broke exactly in the corner of the Z shape.
If I cannot get the part through Tesla, then I may see whether I can cut, bend and fit a piece of aluminum or something.

Thank you. I would be concerned about the carbon fiber breaking, since this clearly is a weak spot in the car.
Is that not an issue?

I would very much prefer it if this part had some flex - eg a hard rubber material or something. I really don't understand why this is no more sturdy (or why the bottom pan is not mounted directly underneath the top mount). Mine broke exactly in the corner of the Z shape.
If I cannot get the part through Tesla, then I may see whether I can cut, bend and fit a piece of aluminum or something.
Not an issue with a properly executed layup. I use eight layers of 2 aerospace grade fabrics. 12K 2x2 twill on the visible layers for cosmetics. Zoltek 50K quadaxial fabric in between. Same stuff is used in wind turbine blades, so it should be fine supporting a front spoiler and undertray ;). Resin matrix is AdTech 820, a high end epoxy resin.

The issue with the OEM piece is that it's a very thin metal with spot welded reinforcements. The spot welds eventually give out, and after enough oscillation the whole thing breaks in two.

I'm happy to send you a bracket to look at. Just DM me your mailing info! Send it back at my cost if you still have concerns.

Reactions: DeedWest