Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales tax and delivery questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Is the sales tax (6%) due at signing, or will it be included in the monthly loan payments?
2. I live in Michigan, so would I be paying the 6% sales tax, or since it would be delivered to the closest Tesla dealership (Cleveland), would I be paying the 5.75% sales tax?
3. What other fees are included, and what would be total due at signing for a Model 3 totaling $44,500?
4. After I order online and spend the $2,500, how much time would I have to decide whether I should finance with Tesla or a Bank / Credit Union?

Thank you

In Colorado here, so YMMV.
Tesla collected about half of the required tax. I'm in an 8% locality, but Tesla only charged me roughly 3.9% tax. I believe they charged me the local taxes, but maybe not the state taxes.
Friends have reported that they had to pay the rest when registering the car (something we don't do in Colorado for 60 days)

1. Is the sales tax (6%) due at signing, or will it be included in the monthly loan payments?

Sales tax is added and your loan is on the total price of the car minus your $2500 deposit and any other cash payment you make and trade-in value if you are trading a car in.

2. I live in Michigan, so would I be paying the 6% sales tax, or since it would be delivered to the closest Tesla dealership (Cleveland), would I be paying the 5.75% sales tax?

This one is not so easy to answer. You will most likely pay the tax for Cleveland. However, if Michigan is like Florida when you register a car you bought from out of state then you end up paying additional fees then if you bought in state. So you would need to check on that aspect in your situation.

3. What other fees are included, and what would be total due at signing for a Model 3 totaling $44,500?

The figure you see on the web page before you click "Place Order" is everything excluding your taxes. As I said in #2 your situation may have some additional fees since you are buying across state lines.
You also need to see how your insurance rates are going to be as some have reported a big jump while other like myself only had a small premium increase. Mine went up about $120/yr over what I was paying for a Honda Civic sI.

4. After I order online and spend the $2,500, how much time would I have to decide whether I should finance with Tesla or a Bank / Credit Union?
Thank you

This will vary depending on how quickly Tesla can match a car to what you ordered. In my case I placed my order and 12 hours later had a delivery date set for 6 days later. So I had a few days to get my financing in place.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

I live in MI and picked up in Westmont on 3/24 based on their offer to send a free wallcharger in a few weeks if I drove the 4 hours by the end of the month (quarterly results). They said I would get a packet in the mail close to the end of my temp tag and take that to the SOS where I would pay the tax. I could get a temp extension if I didn’t get the packet by 4/15. I called on 4/12 and they said to wait. I called again on 4/18 and they said they goofed and should pay on Tesla website. I couldn’t find where to pay so they texted and suggested I get on the phone while we both went to the site. They then realized you can’t pay online so they are fed-exing a overnight envelope to overnight them a check. They said I should get a temp extension emailed by Cleveland but that promise has come and gone twice. So I guess I’d try to pay it in OH! Still waiting on wall charger too and nobody seems to know who is sending or when they will.

Thank you
Tax, tag, and title are generally included with purchase and rolled into loan. You normally pay the sales tax of the state that you reside.
How much time would you have before a Model 3 is delivered. Could be as little as 1-2 days. So make your decision before you order.